All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I LOVE peanut butter
      #86859 - 07/06/04 12:36 PM
teethcleaner

Reged: 07/04/04
Loc: California

I have always loved peanut butter and i've been trying to eat it only in moderation (usually I glob it on a sandwich, basically I add bread to my peanutbutter) but today when I ate it my tummy was still rumbling afterwards I even ate it on a plain bagel..does anyone else still eat peanut butter? I'm sure gonna miss it if I can't!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I LOVE peanut butter new
      #86863 - 07/06/04 12:39 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

I do but only after laying down a layer of soluble fiber cereal,etc. Then I`ll have in small quantity w/sourdough bread.

#86869 - 07/06/04 12:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't eat it at all anymore... but what I can eat is soy butter. It doesn't taste quite the same, and I admit it, but it's better than living totally without!

#86905 - 07/06/04 01:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Try the light kind. It's got less fat and more sugar - but that's ok for IBS. Spread it thinly - there's lots of flavour in a little bit of PB. Enjoy. Don't give it up. It's a great source of protein. Jsut serve with care and keep the amounts small.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#86913 - 07/06/04 02:07 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Now that I'm stable I can eat a small amount of peanut butter in a sandwich. Like maybe 1 TBSP for two slices of bread. Plus a little wild blueberry jam of course!!

PBJ's are one of my staples. But when I'm having trouble I stick with plain bread!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#86921 - 07/06/04 02:24 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I wouldn't exist without my peanut butter and jelly on toast.. I eat easily at least 2 per day..

#86926 - 07/06/04 02:30 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

I can't eat "name" brands but I can eat all-natural. The ingredients list is peanuts and salt, no extra fats or oil put in. The soluble fiber bread is the key now - I used to eat it by the spoonful!

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

#86943 - 07/06/04 02:48 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I love peanut butter, too. In fact, it is one of the safe foods for me. I use Peter Pan creamy....can't have a brand that has molasses (that bothers me) and I toast a waffle and spray a little butter on it and spread a little peanut butter on it. The peanut butter melts and mmmmmm it is good.

Barbie

--------------------

#86989 - 07/06/04 04:01 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Peanuts contain BOTH soluable and insoluable fiber (they aren't all insoluable - thats why they cause people to have gas!)...I can do peanutBUTTER - just not the peaNUTS(yet).
And I find a little goes a long way. Try a SMEAR instead of a SPOONFULL you'll see! It is SO good for you too, protein, magnesium, zinc, protein, fiber and even calcium!!! Enjoy. Question. Why would SOY be any better? More soluable fiber? I avoid soy - I avoid "estrogen-like" food properties/my mother had breast cancer.

#87016 - 07/06/04 04:22 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Some people just can't tolerate peanuts. Also I think the soy may be lower in fat. But certainly with your risk factor there's no need for you to eat soy. There's plenty of other alternatives. I don't really eat soy either and I've managed to stay stable for almost 6 months!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#87195 - 07/07/04 06:40 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I eat peanut butter sandwiches most days - on either a pumpernickel bagel or some thickly cut sourdough bread. I get fresh-ground stuff from Whole Foods with no additives, and top off the peanut butter with whatever jam I picked up at the farmer's market (again, no additives or preservatives).

I get very cranky when I don't get my PB&J fix....

--AC

Soy nut butter! new
      #87212 - 07/07/04 07:28 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

I can't eat it at all anymore... but what I can eat is soy butter. It doesn't taste quite the same, and I admit it, but it's better than living totally without!

Casey, you always seem to take my answers! Obviously we have a lot in common, lol. I also can't tolerate peanut butter, or peanuts in any form anymore. But I agree, soy nut butter is really tasty! And it's lower in fat.

Here's the brand I get:

I.M. Healthy

(I get the creamy though )

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#87216 - 07/07/04 07:52 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Pumpernickel and sourdough bread - both lowER gi/gL breads ...so tell me they include soluable fiber? I thought so - I hope so!

#87219 - 07/07/04 07:59 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

You might want to try other nut butters as well to see if you find them any more tolerable. Trader Joe's (among others) makes a wonderful cashew- macadamia butter. Very tasty, and since it's rich you can enjoy just a little.

#87282 - 07/07/04 11:34 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

Pumpernickel and sourdough bread - both lowER gi/gL breads ...so tell me they include soluable fiber? I thought so - I hope so!

They're squooshable (um, new word I guess), so they have soluble fiber. I'm not sure if there are any breads that don't have it, although stuff like matzoh really requires you to drink loads of water with it because it is so dense.

--AC, bread fan

#87352 - 07/07/04 01:35 PM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

ME, too! I just had some peanut butter on a slice of bread with straawberry (seedless) jam. I can do a little, a couple of tbsps, a day.

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2568

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review