All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Thoughts and suggestions, please...
      #85906 - 07/02/04 10:14 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Hello, everyone. After about a week on the diet, I am very discouraged because I don't seem to be getting any better; in fact, I feel worse. Before, bloating, constipation, and discomfort would take place on and off, 2-3 days here and there; of course, worse during PMS time. Over the past several days, after beginning this new regimen, I have been having terrible bouts of bloating and gas after eating anything, even a rice cake. I'm afraid to eat anything. No help in the C department, either; motility seems just about nonexistant. I am just about ready to throw in the towel, thinking that I would prefer the way I used to feel, but first, a few questions.
1. I have been pounding water per Heather's instructions, but even plain old water seems to exacerbate the bloating. Peppermint tea and fennel tea taste nice but don't really seem to help. Could there be something in the way I'm drinking (i.e., pounding rather than daintly sipping)? Or, this may seem like a stupid question, but what about a water bottle with a straw? I'm sure I'm gulping air, might that be an issue?
2. I started on a SFS; again, with no discernible improvement. Since my most troublesome symptom is gas/ bloating, what are your suggestions as to the best SFS that does not contribute to bloating?
3. Even the list of "what to eat when you can't eat anything" do not seem safe right now. Thoughts?
4. Is it common for symptoms to get worse before they get better?
I should make it clear that for me, adhering to the guidelines of this diet is not terribly difficult. I already do not eat red meat, have not done so for quite some time. Don't smoke, never did. Hardly ever drink. No refined sugar. No soda. No coffee. No candy. No desserts. Lots of whole foods, fresh vegs and fruits. Already quite healthy eating habits, actually. Do yoga every day. Have a daily meditation practice. Seemingly, I'm already doing everything right!
The big effort has been to ratchet back the whole grains, cause I had been doing lots of them; brown rice, whole grain breads, whole grain cereals, whole grain pasta, etc. Nothing "white". So the new features have been the SFS (might I be taking too much?), the increased water intake, and the decreased whole grains.
Anyhow, I'm quite frustrated. I'm at the point right now, as I say, of being afraid to eat anything. If I could go without eating at all I could because it's so unenjoyable and brings about such discomfort.
So, a bombardment of questions, for which maybe some of you wise people might have answers. Any words of suggestion or encouragement would be appreciated. My shout of discouragement: What am I doing wrong????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thoughts and suggestions, please... new
      #85912 - 07/02/04 10:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok, I'll apologize if this is disjointed, but it's late and I'm sleepy. LOL! I can't answer all of your questions anyway, but I wanted to toss out a couple thoughts.

First and foremost, which SFS are you taking, and how much? The SFS you've chosen could well be the source of the problem. Bevrs can tell you all about that. Some of them are more prone to cause gas than others, but honestly, even if you're using one of the "safer" ones, if your system doesn't like it, it'll certainly let you know. (I couldn't take Citrucel, even in tiny doses.)

Gulping air could certainly be an issue with the gas. I had the same problem, years ago - I literally had to retrain myself to sip rather than gulp. No straws, either. It's a pain in the butt, I know, but it might help a bit.

Beyond that, I'm afraid all I can do is sympathize. After 5 weeks on the diet, I still have days where even the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" list doesn't work for me, so I know the feeling. Try to hang in there - I'm sure some of the others will weigh in with much more helpful advice than I'm able to give right now.

#85920 - 07/02/04 10:48 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Along with that... are you following the normal diet, or the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet? You have to get yourself stable and then add things back in.

Past that, my sympathies. I know the I hate food feeling.

#85932 - 07/02/04 11:59 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

In my personal experience, the diet is not always a "quick" fix. It takes a little time to get better, and you can't cheat with a little whole wheat. Whole wheat is a big no no for me.
Citracil(sp?) made me very gassy and extra bloated. I use the Acacia now and it is much better.
"Pounding" water always gives me problems. I have learned to be a sipper.
Have you tried the Yoga positions for IBS? Click the Yoga for IBS link in your upper left corner of the screen if you haven't.
Hang in there! I hope you get better soon.

Just one thought.. new
      #85933 - 07/03/04 02:45 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
First I wanna say I'm sorry you are feeling so yucky and discouraged. I think we all know what it's like to get your hopes up about something making you feel all better, and then feeling discouraged when it doesn't quite work.
Since I am IBS-D, I don't have a lot to add to everyone else's posts but I did want to say that when I was reading Heather's book, I remember it saying that for D, the diet should work within a few days but that it can take a lot longer for C. Maybe that's what's going on with you, it just hasn't had enough time to get your system working normally. I'd give it some more time.. and also maybe try different fiber supplements, like the others suggested.

Good luck! I hope you start feeling better soon!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#85935 - 07/03/04 04:39 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Sorry you are feeling so yucky. I can't speak highly enough about Heather's peppermint caps & the Accacia. I tried the Peppermint caps first & they really helped with my c. I will keep you in my thoughts.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

#85945 - 07/03/04 06:23 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Jenny its me again with more questions lol - just wondering are you a C, D, or A?

Pounding the liquids didn't work for me... new
      #85954 - 07/03/04 07:13 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I was "pounding the water" myself and it caused me to be majorly bloated and actually "D"! WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT and you have to find the proper balance. Where I normally don't drink a lot of liquid, I found that I was drinking too much. I have found a balance where it regulated my "C" and didn't cause "D" and I feel much much better.

#85996 - 07/03/04 02:49 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't have a lot of advice for you because I haven't been on this diet for too long, but I seem to remember that eating a lot of veggies can cause gas/bloating. Have you tried limiting those for a while?? Heather does mention to restrict your diet in the beginning to ONLY soluble fiber foods for a couple of days or so, (at least until you somewhat stabilize) and then to slowly add in your favorite insoluble foods. Slowly being the key word. Too fast can cause worse problems. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon! - BeckyT

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#87218 - 07/07/04 07:57 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Thanks for the good wishes and suggestion, everyone. I am continually impressed by the kindness and support shown by everyone in this community. So glad I stumbled upon it.
I'm happy to say after a few miserable days, and over a holiday weekend, too! Happily, I'm pretty good at damning the torpedoes and having a good time anyway, food or no food. So I had a great time with my friends while eating fish & rice.
Anyhow, some of your suggestions have been very useful. I have gone back to square one and started over with minuscule doses of SFS (Benefiber for now, till my Acacia comes in the mail; hope it's soon!). Gone from a sippy-straw water bottle to a S***b**ks sippy cup (keeps the tea warm); this seems to help too. So, this morning I am able to put on my size twelve flat-front chinos and go out and face the world with a smile.
Happily, I do not experience symptoms that are nearly as bad as those some of you wonderful brave people are living with. For me it's mostly inconvenience with just a little bit of misery. (mostly around PMS time ) I am able to draw a lot of inspiration from the people I encounter here. With each other's support and help, we'll all make it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 544 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review