All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HI EVERYONE REMEMBER ME? PLEASE READ THIS!!!
      #85771 - 07/02/04 12:36 PM
itsnotfair123

Reged: 04/23/04

Hi everyone! Remember me? A few months ago I was always on, needing help with gaining weight. I have a severe stomach problem, and since one of my doctors couldn't find out anything else it could possibly be, he diagnosed me with IBS. Later on, I took a blood test and guess what?MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT ON THE BLOOD TEST I TOOK, IT TURNS OUT THAT I ACTUALLY MIGHT HAVE A WHEAT AND GLUTEN PROBLEM! So, now I might start a gluten-free diet. I just don't exactly know how... And I can't find any good sounding gluten-free products like BREAD! DOES ANYONE ELSE HERE HAVE A GLUTEN PROBLEM AND CAN TELL ME WHAT KIND OF FOODS I CAN EAT, WHERE TO GET SOME, AND ESPECIALLY WHERE TO FIND GOOD BREAD?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HI EVERYONE REMEMBER ME? PLEASE READ THIS!!! new
      #85778 - 07/02/04 12:48 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey yeah I remember you! Seems like SOOO many people have been diagnosed with gluten problems or Celiac lately and I am starting to wonder myself. Search for posts by BarbaraS and Kandee, this topic has come up A LOT lately!
I am glad you finally figured out whats wrong, sucks that its that know but that must have helped the sitch. with the parents right? They can't deny you have a problem now!
Do you mind me asking what were your major symptoms??? Did you just get a regular blood test?
How are you feeling?

**Write back *

#85779 - 07/02/04 12:50 PM
itsnotfair123

I'm not sure what blood test it is, but I haven't been feeling much better lately, thanks for asking. We think that once I get of gluten (somehow) my stomach will have a chance to heal...

#85791 - 07/02/04 01:09 PM
ibsgrl

Yeah definitely. Did your doctor give you any advice or guidelines?
Were your symptoms anything like bloating, distention, pain, constipation, mood changes...anything else??? just wondering for myself...thanks.

#85808 - 07/02/04 01:28 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

It could be Celiac sprue.

Here are somewebsites.

http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

I remember you new
      #85839 - 07/02/04 04:00 PM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Glad to hear from you. I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to say I am glad that you are getting some help. I hope that you start to feel better soon.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Re: I remember you new
      #85879 - 07/02/04 09:03 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

The "gold standard" test for celiac is a biopsy taken as part of an endoscopy. I had this done a year ago, after my gluten antibodies were very high in a blood test. For me the blood test was a false positive, and I didn't have celiac. Beware though that you have to be eating gluten at the time of the test - or within a certain time period close to the test - in order for the biopsy to be effective. So, if you try a gluten free diet and then go to a gastro for the celiac test make sure they know you're off gluten.
you can go to www.celiac.com for lots of good info. And yes, there is bread out there. You can get rice bread at most health food stores. Also there is a series of cookbooks by a woman who calls herself, "the gluten free gourmet" i forget her name but a quick search on amazon should turn up her books.
Good luck.
Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#85941 - 07/03/04 05:24 AM
itsnotfair123

yes, those are my symptoms exactly!

#85943 - 07/03/04 06:13 AM
ibsgrl

This is VERY interesting to me. I bloat up SO badly and I am in pain after eating anything - even if I AM HUNGRY. I'm going to go back to my doctor next week...
Tell me though - did you have a particular reaction after eating a specific food?

Here's a Food Source for You
      #85964 - 07/03/04 08:31 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi! Good luck with your struggle. I hope it isn't celiac.

Bob's Red Mill of Oregon makes more gluten-free products than I could have imagined possible. If you find their website cumbersome, call and ask them to send you a catalog instead.

sperry_twiggins

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4411 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2063

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review