All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight Loss / Venting need some advice
      #84721 - 06/30/04 03:53 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I hate to repeat myself, but I feel I need to recap because I posted this stuff so long ago. I had gotten down to 125lbs (30 because I wanted 15 from IBS & thyroid problems). My doctor & I are working on the thyroid issue, trying to get my thyroid levels right. I had been doing real well with my weight maintaining between 125-130. I have settled down with my eating and I do cheat at times. I have stopped eating soy products because of the effects of soy with my thyroid/synthroid & have gone back to having a little no-fat dairy. I do think that I am going to have to rethink that, but thats another story. Anyway, last week was my time of the month & of course munchie time:) so I figured I would have gained a couple of pounds. I know I weighed myself a couple of times last week (I have been very diligent keeping track of my weight, I do not want to lose any more), so Tues I went to weigh myself & I have lost 6 lbs. I just don't know how. I did have a bout of d on Mon. Just one. Could that have done it? That was my vent.
Here is where I need your advice. I was reading the symptons of Ovarian cancer & they sound just like what I am going through, but of course they.
I have not been tested for Ovarian Cancer for the following reasons: I had an ovary scan last summer & everything was fine (I was having bladder issues) & a Pap Smear in Dec. Can I have my GP run the blood test? I know to get into my Gyno is probably going to take a couple of weeks, so if I can get my GP to run the tests it would be great. What do you all think about this? Do I need to get the test done? I'm sure my weight loss issue has to do with the whole thyroid issue. I go back to my GP on Friday.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Loss / Venting need some advice new
      #84858 - 06/30/04 09:27 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Since you are already going to your GP on Friday, why not bring it up? See what your GP has to say.

I'm not sure if you could lose 6 lbs from a D episode. That's a lot of D! Have you been eating less (not realizing it) or stressed? I know sometimes these things make me lose weight. When I get stressed, I lose my appetite.

Hope you figure out what's going on and get feeling better soon.

Mags new
      #84901 - 06/30/04 10:07 AM
Daisymc

Mags,
I am eating fine. I have branched out & am eating very well. I have been under a little stress, but nothing major. I hope that we can figure out what is going on. I just hate this. I was telling my husband that I have lost weight & he was questioning me about how I use our scale. Ugh. Well, the bottom line is I have been using the same scale for over six months, I have been consistent. MEN. He is a keeper tho .

--------------------
Daisy

Re: Mags new
      #85139 - 06/30/04 06:39 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I hear ya on the MEN! LOL But, at least they try!

Good luck with your appt Friday.

Update/Went to the doc/have a ? new
      #85934 - 07/03/04 04:33 AM
Daisymc

Went back to the doctor yesterday. She updated my dose of synthroid, ran the Cat-125 test(hope I got that right) & I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled for Tues. She thinks my weight loss is because of stress of my son leaving home & the IBS. I disagree. My life is very low stress & I have been eating just fine. The only time I have ever in my life (before IBS) lost weight because of stress was when there was a major trauma (divorce, death in the family). I know IBS has changed things, but could it have changed how my body reacts to even mild stress by making me lose weight when I am eating fine? If so, what do I do to stop the weight loss? I have not been keeping a food journal, but I guess I will now.

--------------------
Daisy

Re: Update/Went to the doc/have a ? new
      #85958 - 07/03/04 07:40 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I had a similar problem a while back where I was losing weight even though I seemed to be eating the same as usual.
I was so worried that I had cancer or something bad. I weighed myself about every hour hoping I had gained something. I was obsessed with it and the more I worried the more weight I loss. I finally went to my doc and she told me, too, that it was probably the stress. BTW I stress about everything. Anyway, I started drinking milkshakes with yogurt ice cream and lactaid milk. Finally, the weight slowly started coming back. I had dropped down to 108 and now I weigh 122. That's about the right weight for me. I still notice that if I have "D" or an exceptionally stressful few days that I will lose a pound or two.

Just thought I would share my similar story with you.
I don't have thyroid problems so maybe that could also be causing your weight loss. Glad you are seeing a doc about it, though.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Update/Went to the doc/have a ? new
      #86110 - 07/04/04 06:29 AM
Daisymc

Thanks Barbie. I am going to just try and weigh myself once a week. The reason I was so upset was I hadn't weighed myself in several days & so I was shocked to find that I lost any weight at all. In fact, I had just been to the doctor & we discussed that my weight was good; this is why I was so concerned. I did get obsessive after that, so I will chill & just weigh myself once a week like I used to. Thanks.

--------------------
Daisy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 974 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review