All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ibs and birth control
      #83599 - 06/26/04 05:58 PM
foshizzle

Reged: 06/26/04

My IBS symptoms began almost immediately after I began taking Ortho-Trycyclene lo. Does anyone know anything about this connection, or is it just a coincedence?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ibs and birth control new
      #83601 - 06/26/04 06:10 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!

There has been a lot of discussions on the board about Birth Control pills making IBS symptoms worse. Also, there's lactose in a lot of the pills (check your ingredients) and that could be adding to the problem.

If you think they're the problem, I would talk to your doc and maybe try a different pill. You can also do a board search because there has been a lot of good advice on this topic before.

Take care and welcome to the boards!
Kelly

#83748 - 06/27/04 01:37 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Do you happen to be taking the generic version?

Just a thought, because I just started Orth Tri-Cyclen Lo. I'm only on my third week, and I've had no problems with it. I even got a really bad cold the first week too, which can usually bring on attacks for me, but still no problems. BUT, the first Sunday I took one, the pharmacy had given me the generic version and Monday I thought I was going to die! It was awful! Severe D and nausea. I got a hold of my doctor and he told me he thought it was because I had the generic. He told me he doesn't trust what they put in generic versions, and that even he's gotten sick on generic versions of drugs. Oh - and since I'd gotten in contact with him so late on Monday, I didn't get to try the actual Ortho till Tuesday (he had me come to his office and get free samples), so I had to double up 2 days in a row to catch up, and still no problems. I've also been taking them after I eat dinner just to be safe.

But, like I said - just a thought, since it's so fresh in my mind. If you're on the brand name, then maybe Ortho just isn't the brand for you.

Good luck!

#84189 - 06/28/04 06:20 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Have you thought of skipping past the oral contraceptive route entirely and gone to the patch? I did a few months ago, and whether it's just a coincidence or not, I feel my symptoms have improved somewhat since then. I don't have severe IBS like some of the brave souls here, so I'm fortunate, but even a small improvement for someone like myself is a blessing. Maybe it's worth a try?

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Long past birth control but.... new
      #84199 - 06/28/04 07:02 PM
susan127

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Vermont

I have found and have had it affirmed at this site that there is a definite connection between hormones and IBS. When I went off HRT for menopause is when my IBS kicked in - full force. Too much, too little - it all can have the same effect. You might want to consider other alternatives to birth control. When I was younger, I swore by the cap. I don't know if that is still even out there as an alternative as I haven't worried about birth control for some time. Even when I was using it, it was considered alternative. It's very common in Europe and I got it from our Women's Health Center which was an alternative type place.

Just a suggestion.

S.
VERy supportive in VERmont

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 741 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 637

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review