All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fair Food
      #82933 - 06/24/04 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't know if all areas of the world have fairs like ours in Minnesota; everything is deep fried and put on a stick for some reason. Any ideas what to do at a fair for safe eats? Here is a link of the fair, click on food, if you are curious about what the choices are at my local fair. Most are hilarious- deep-fried oreos, twinkies and chocolate chip cookies! http://www.tasteofmn.org/
Another problem is how to avoid things that I really like that I shouldn't eat. Fried food holds no appeal, but has anyone had a smoked turkey drumstick?! They are quite good and if it is hot I might be tempted by ice cream!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fair Food new
      #82992 - 06/24/04 09:42 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

Hi little Minnie, I hear you about the food at the fairs. The Calgary Stampede will be starting on July 9th. There are so many foods that that I love, like those little dougnuts and BBQ beef on a bun. There is a huge food court in one of the building and a few years ago they revamped it. It now also carries fresh salads and fruit and healthy sandwiches and such along with the deepfried foods. I will have to be on my best behavior when I am down there. Good luck to you at the fair. Maybe bring along food that is safe to eat. Just a suggestion. Gail

#83002 - 06/24/04 11:14 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Wow what a humongous amount of food - kind of an ibs'ers nightmare unfortunately though! My best suggestion would be to take along your own food. You will save money and possibly prevent an attack! Check out this link web page
Oh, what about cotton candy? do u like that? not sure of the ingredients besides sugaaaa tho!
p.s - deep fried oreos?! what for?

#83003 - 06/24/04 11:28 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Oh man, I hear you! I'm terrible for fair foods. The last time I went to a fair, I had deep fried cheese on a stick! Can you believe it? I don't think you get much worse than that. It was just a big glob of cheese breaded and deep fried, and horrible as it may sound, I enjoyed every bite

Sadly, I know I can't touch something like that now (and it's probably terrible for you!). Try and resist the temptation...remember how it'll make you feel if you eat it, that's the biggest factor for me in avoiding foods I know are bad for me, I just try and picture the consequences.

I hope you find something safe and yummy while your there!
Kelly

#83013 - 06/25/04 04:18 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I know exactly how you feel. Resisting the foods I really like but can't eat is difficult for me. We are getting ready to have a 4th of July thing there and I think I will bring something that I can eat. What will keep me away from all the yummy temptations is the memory of last year when I ate funnel cake and ended up in the port-a-potty with the big D. That was horrible and I don't want to experience it again. Nothing worse.

Eat something healthy before you go and bring some heathly snacks with you. Have fun and good luck resisting the bad food.

--------------------
Janey

takes away the fun doesn't it new
      #83019 - 06/25/04 04:34 AM
Little Minnie

Thanks for answering everyone. I went through the list of foods they had and made a list of what might be safe. I showed it to my husband who joked 'that might be the nerdiest thing you've ever done. Kind of takes away the fun.' But I responded 'it would not be much fun to have to wait for me outside one of those awful outdoor bathrooms either.' The thing is I will probably be very careful but going to a fair like this has always had to me the purpose of eating the food and looking at the people. I don't think it would be fun to nibble on rice cakes all day. After all it is the Taste of Minnesota But I will do my best- and I took the next day off just in case.
I believe I can avoid 'cheese curds' and 'deep fried candy bars' at any rate!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Fair Food, Hey Li'l Minnie new
      #83057 - 06/25/04 07:29 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I haven't read the food list on the link, having lots of anxiety right now....

Do they have Baked Potatos?? If they do, you can be sure of the safety here. Now, I order them dry, with FF Italian Dressing to pour on top, or any vinegrette with no oil. You may have to go to the salad booth to get that. I would rather feel good, than be worried about having an attack.

Wow, never heard of fried oreos, fried candy bars??????? I can see how you would be challenged with these goodies close by! Good Luck, hope you have a great time anyway. gayla

#83073 - 06/25/04 07:54 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Lil Minnie,

I would definitely suggest bringing some items with you that are easy to carry and eat on a moment's notice (fat free saltines, pretzels, plain melba toast, banana, etc). But I can understand how you would want to 'splurge' or at least taste some of the food at the fair (that's half the fun!). I went through your list and, although we are each unique in some of our triggers, I would think that your safest bets would be the following (I also had them at a fair not too long ago and had no problems):

Gold'n Plump Poultry:

Lil'l Chick on a Stick (as long as it has not been fried and do remove the skin)
Southwest Chicken Wrap (no sauce)

FoodSmart Restaurant:

Sticky Rice

Dino's Gyro's:

Chicken Gyro (no sauce)

Plaza Grill:

Turkey Drumsticks

The Buttery:

Low Carb Wrap (turkey-no sauce)

Falafel King:

Gyro Sandwich (no sauce and stick to lean meats, like turkey, if they offer it)
Veggie Pocket

Blue Goose Inn:

Fruit Smoothie (try to have this with some white fresh bread or other soluble fiber)

Pierre's Cuisine:

Wraps in a Pita (again, no sauce)

Mexfiesta:

Soft Shell Tacos (make sure they are not fried tortillas and try to add some rice, ground turkey--stay away from cheese and only a dash of lettuce and tomatoes, for example)
Chicken Fajitas (again stay away from dairy and hot sauce)

Pierre's:

Quesadillas (again, no cheese, no fried tortillas and non spicy sauce)

Old Man River Cafe:

Chai

Santa Lucia Mediterranean Grill:

Greek Gyro (no sauce and get chicken or turkey)
Chicken Souvlaki (same as above)

Carrie's Popcorn:

Cotton Candy

Drink plenty of bottled water. Make sure to take soluble fiber before you eat anything there (and maybe increase your dose slightly). Try to take a peppermint pill beforehand or bring a thermos of peppermint tea to drink with your meal, if you can. Don't overeat, as tempted as we all are when we are having a good time. Try to relax and not be anxious. The day before, eat very well (load up on rice, pasta, oatmeal and other 'safe' soluble fibers). Most of all, enjoy and take a break from your worries and IBS!

Saralou

Thanks Saralou new
      #83216 - 06/25/04 01:13 PM
Little Minnie

I have no temptations with the all Minnesotan fave cheese curds (deep fried cheese) and I tend to actually eat too little if it is warm and sometimes go home a little hungry but I will miss pronto pups (corn dogs) and little desserty things. But you are telling me I can have a turkey drumstick?! I love those (they taste just like ham!) Maybe I can get the sticky rice and then find the drumsticks and walk around with that! Thanks!

--------------------

Mmm, turkey new
      #83225 - 06/25/04 01:30 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I love those drumsticks! YUM! I've been able to eat those with no problems. I'd still be careful with them, but I'd definitely say they're a safer bet than a deep-fried Twinkie!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1242

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review