All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Trouble with the diet new
      #1030 - 02/18/03 09:57 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have tried quitting tons of times and now with the new diet and changes I just am really dependant on them right now - its the only thing that is still normal in my day!

I know that sounds pathetic to you non smokers, but the smokers out there will completely understand.

I guess I should really quit! Someday! No not Sunday! Someday! haha. No I really should. Thanks!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#1033 - 02/18/03 11:57 AM
Lana_Marie

Thank you Kerrie!

They sound excellent - I will have to try to make some of them.

Do you find yourself baking/cooking alot on the weekends so you can keep up during the week? I work all week from 8 am to 8pm and therefore find it difficult to muster up the motivation to cook Heather's meals because they involve alot of time. My stepmom advised me to make my meals during the weekend and then freeze them for that week. It is a great idea but I find myself doing alot of resting on the weekends because of my large work load.

Any suggestions!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1060 - 02/18/03 06:12 PM
Jane

Reged: 01/29/03

Lana, I am a smoker too! I completely understand! After my dietary overhaul, this is the one thing I have left! I have plenty of food/body image issues I need to work on before I can think of quitting...or is that a crutch? Aah! I'm with you...I will quit someday!

#1061 - 02/18/03 06:22 PM
Jane

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi Lana,
You have been given some wonderful advice here...especially to watch the fruits and veggies. I know they are extremely important in the diet, but I just can't eat my "five a day" and stay normal. So I don't. I am IBS-d and eat mostly breads and dairy. I avoided dairy like the plague when I was first diagnosed but I learned (because of a weakness for pizza and cheese quesadillas!) that they actually help my D. I will eat veggies at dinner, but not a huge amount and I cook them until they're mushy. And except for the occasional apple (I love apples!), I only eat fruit from a can, or frozen berries that I nuke along with my instant oatmeal in the morning. I take a bagel to work for lunch and I usually have pasta or rice for dinner. Sounds very boring, I know, but it saves me from having attacks at work, which is worse than a boring diet IMO.

One thing I heard about IBS (and I have no idea where I first read this) is to regulate your digestive system, eat nothing but chicken and rice for a week. I have become a vegetarian since doing this, but I did it when I was first diagnosed and it worked wonders for me. Once your system is back on track you can slowly introduce new foods to see how your body reacts to them, so you know what is okay and what to avoid. The tricky thing about IBS is that we don't all react the same way to the same foods. I bet a lot of people on this board can't tolerate dairy, but I actually need it.
Hope this helps!
Jane

#1062 - 02/18/03 10:07 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Lana Marie,

Yes I do bake ahead and in big batches. I probably have a bit more time than you as I only work part time but I do have a two year old so I find myself having a big "cook up" when he has his lunch time sleep. Most of Heathers recipes serve 4-6 so I usually cook that amount and freeze the leftovers as individual meals. That way I can just reheat leftovers on nights that I'm too tired to cook.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1076 - 02/19/03 10:29 AM
Lana_Marie

Well thank goodness I am not alone....my husband told me he doesn't even want to see me quit smoking yet because I am so crazy over this complete diet change. Don't get me wrong he would love to see me quit - but right now my moods are about the diet - when you try to quit - the moods are about EVERTHING! (Roaaarrrr) haha

Glad to hear I am not alone!
Maybe someday we could try to quit together!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1077 - 02/19/03 10:32 AM
Lana_Marie

Thank you for your feedback, Jane. I pretty did something along the line of only chicken and rice for the first few days...I actually had only oatmeal and bread etc. Very boring like you said but my stomach felt alot better.

I can't wait for the day to come when I will be able to point out my definate triggers like you can. Right now it's all just trial and error. YIKES!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1078 - 02/19/03 10:34 AM
Lana_Marie

My Goodness with a two year old - you have a full time job in itself plus you work part time.

It must be nice to be able to spend some days with your child though huh? I hope to have that option once I have children..

Anyways - I will have to have "cook offs" at my house too. It's just another adjustment I have to make time for..No excuses!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2003 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16300

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review