All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused about IBS
      #82098 - 06/22/04 08:29 PM
Winnie

Reged: 06/16/04

Hi, me again with more questions....I've had every test under the sun 3 or 4 times...I do have the diverticulitis that is a forsure...and rest they say is IBS...what I don't understand is I thought IBS would bother a person all the time....Sometime I have D everyday other time I can go weeks without it and usually always eating the same thing or if at Restaurants each place I have a staple order...Somedays I have the gurgling crumby feeling in the tummy other days no...I can eat a DQ cone and be fine...so why is it I should give up milk for soya when it says soya might bother me also...I just can't figure this thing out...I do know not to eat any skins of fruit and some veggies...I know that bothers me I love Swiss chard but it don't love me...Should this be so confusing...puzzled Should I try Heather's reciped book and assume I had IBS and see if it works out for me...any thoughts...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused about IBS new
      #82112 - 06/22/04 08:59 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I had to figure out which of these trigger foods were really triggers for me. Milk for instance, I can drink milk, but ice cream bothers me. If I have one kernal of popcorn, it triggers an attack, yet others here can eat it all day long.
Try the IBS diet and adjust it to fit your needs.
Hope you feel better.

Leslie

Re: Confused about IBS new
      #82114 - 06/22/04 09:05 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

While IBS symptoms are quite generalized, triggers are not...although there are the basic diet guidelines to follow.
Unfortunately, since it's very individual it's a process of figuring out what you can and can't tolerate - by trial and error!

you got great advice. will add... new
      #82157 - 06/23/04 05:34 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

...that you need to remember that cases vary in intensity, too. you may have very bad "episodes" but your frequency is more spaced out than others.

i went for years with more "mild" IBS--- it went from the occasional D to almost daily D that i still was "ok" with (never gave it much thought) to D that was 7-12 times a morning. i still put up with that! it wasn't 'til it made me stay out of work with the disabling pain that i really stopped to pay attention! (i'm a little bit of a dope)

what my point is is this: it's possible that your IBS is taking a different course than the "typical." (What's typical!?)

you need to remember that other things besides food can be triggers. before my IBS got really bad, i was fine for months and months, but as soon as i got stressed about money (really stressed!) i would be an IBS mess!!! once i got caught up on bills or whatever the issue was, the IBS would go away and not come back 'til the next time i got behind.

stress, for me, is a huge trigger. stress can take different forms! see if you can trace your IBS episodes to some kind of stressor. weather can be a stress-causer. i don't do well in the hot weather at all, at all! if i over-exert, that's a stressor and i'll get IBS (say i help someone move over the weekend or work out too hard). another stressor is getting sick- that's going to make it more likely that the IBS flares up in my case. also, getting really tired is a big trigger for me. again- it stresses the body to be overtired.

what i need to remember now that i'm stable is that i have to be extra careful diet-wise when it's really hot and humid and when i am stressed out about something or when my fibromyalgia is flaring (which is a stress on the body) or when i haven't slept well, or... you get the idea! when those aren't going on, i am able to get away with much more, though i do keep to the diet fairly strictly just about all the time. i've learned it's best for me so i can avoid "breakthough flare ups!"

hope this helps you get to the bottom of it!? (ew- bad pun!)

--------------------

Jenx....Thanks for the reply it really helps.... new
      #82193 - 06/23/04 07:19 AM
Winnie

Reged: 06/16/04

Thanks for all the advise I really like this website...I think you really answered my question....I think stress and weather do play a big part of it...Becasue like I say I can the fattest greasiest stuff and be fine but I can had plain rice and baked chicken and get sick one day with D and have it the next day and I'm okay...But I can't catch a plane or go on a holiday because I worry about finding a bathroom thus needing the bathroom I never was like this...Until by hysterectomy 11 years ago then I traded in one problem for another...I'm thinking of acupuncture has anyone tried that...anyway thanks to everyone for the replies...

Winnie new
      #82200 - 06/23/04 07:25 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you really should look into the hypnotherapy thing. click the link on the left of this screen- hypnosis for IBS. it's really helped a lot of people with the anxiety you've described!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2769 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review