All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Counting calories
      #81920 - 06/22/04 10:39 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Anyone counting calories? I don't need to lose weight, but I want to stay thin (If anyone is curious, I am 120ish and 5'8"ish). I have been excercising to relive stress and get energy. Also, I want to tone up (just because I am thin does not mean I am not getting flab, too!).
I don't want to over-do it with food. I used to eat like one large meal and a snack in a day- now I eat several small meals and snack, but way healthier stuff. I counted the calories in my planned food for the day, and I came up with 750 (until I eat dinner, don't know how much that will be and I may eat another snack). Is this too much? Also, I didn't count cals for fruit, cause I have no idea how much they would be.
I don't want to counteract my excercise efforts by eating too much, does this sound right?
My body never knows what it wants, it thinks it's starving, but by time I get a chance to eat a snack I no longer feel hungry. Then it comes back later. I found I am one of those people who needs to think with common sense on what to eat, not with my tummy.
Let me know what yas think!
Thanks,
Sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Counting calories new
      #81928 - 06/22/04 10:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I'm kind of counting calories. *Kind of*. I just lost 30-something pounds due to being so sick. At about 123, I'm finally NOT overweight for my height, and I'm thrilled... but kind of afraid that once I start eating "real meals" again, I'm going to gain all the weight back like I have in the past. I don't mind gaining a little, but I'd like to not pass 130 if I can help it. (I'm 5'2", btw.)

Most dietary guidelines for moderately-active women suggest 1200-1500 calories a day, I know that for sure... but I can never remember if that's a "maintenance" level or a weight-loss level. A tally of 750 so far doesn't sound unreasonable, depending on what you have for dinner, and how much fruit you're eating.

I have to eat with common sense, too, and not cravings... like I've told friends in the past, if I only ate when I was hungry, I'd never eat.

Anyway, I know this was less than helpful... I'm sure someone else will chime in with better advice!

#81935 - 06/22/04 11:05 AM
Sheri01

Not less than helpful! Thanks alot for the input Casey, for some reason 2500 calories was sticking in my mind, but I knew that seemed like too much! 1200- 1500 sounds more realistic for us gals.
I am the opposite way- I'll eat way too much, especially if it's in front of me! Or I eat nothing... but that was more when I was younger and kinda anorexic looking.

--------------------
-Sheri

#81944 - 06/22/04 11:34 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I use www.fitday.com to track my cals. I also use this formula to calculate how many cals I need to maintain:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

--------------------
~jules

Sheri new
      #81948 - 06/22/04 11:38 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

there are some people on the boards who are also dieting or watching their calories. you can find some of them in the Living Room and others on the Vegas boards. come on over! (note: Vegas boards aren't just for those of us going to Vegas, ya know!)

btw, i am a fan of Weight Watchers. their Points counting is an easy as all get out system to follow and totally easy to adapt to any dietary restrictions you may have (like IBS). you may want to give it a try...

*j (not a paid Weight Watchers spokesperson )

--------------------

#82016 - 06/22/04 02:03 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Please be careful, as you're already underweight. That's probably why you're hungry. I'd recommend eating normal and working out, that way you can get muscle and be toned. Is there a reason you're purposely keeping yourself underweight and were only eating one meal a day? Do you have food/weight issues?

--------------------
IBS-C

#82017 - 06/22/04 02:03 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sheri, come on over to the Vegas Board, we report in and support each other daily! They let me in even though I'm not going to Vegas!! It's fun!

Just FYI, I'm 5'6" and 131 trying to get back down to 125 to get rid of my pot belly! I shoot for 1300 calories a day broken out as three meals of 300 calories and four snacks of 100 calories. If I exercise, then I can have more. This is for SLOW gradual weight loss which is the only way I can do it.

So like I said, comeon over, the more the merrier!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Laura Sue new
      #82171 - 06/23/04 06:16 AM
Sheri01

I thought that I may be outcasted due to the fact that I am not overweight and do not need to lose, just want to stay fit. Or get fit, rather. I do not consider myself fit, but I am definately not in the need to lose weight! I do need tone, though! I think it was a mixture of slowing down athletic wise, developing bad eating habits, AND getting IBS that made parts of me jiggle.
Whenever people tease me about watching what I eat, I tell them it's Preventitive Maintenance. (As in making sure I don't gain rather than waiting til that point to lose! I know it only gets harder as you get older!)
Maybe I'll lurk around the Vegas board for awhile, and jump in if I feel comfortable. The funny thing is that you all are going to Vegas like one week before I turn 21!
Thanks for the invite!

--------------------
-Sheri

Fishnets (long post!) new
      #82180 - 06/23/04 06:54 AM
Sheri01

Fishnets,
I think I may have been alittle confusing in my previous post! I don't eat one meal a day, I eat about two normal size and one small one, with many snacks. Since I am hypoglycemic I have found eating frequently helps keep my energy and well being up. SInce I am getting used to the diet and have stabilized, I am just making sure that I don't eat too much without realizing. Since I am still figuring out the diet and always have food on my mind, I don't want to eat just for the sake of eating. I am trying to fill the food pryamid requirements, though.
You say that I am really underweight, but I was at one time almost twenty pounds lighter at the same height. I was also dangerously thin and having a bout of anorexia.
So, I make sure I limit how much I weight myself, because I seem to get too fixated on the number and not how I look.
I don't really have food issues anymore, but I did as an adolescent. As much as she denies it, part of this is my mother's fault. Anytime, even when I was stick thin, I ate something fattening, she would make sure she pointed it out. SHe even felt the need to tell me as an early teen that bread was fattening! Potatoes also. She was a low carb to lose weight fan before the fad began.
I actually got in a screaming match with her about two weeks ago when I visited (I live on my own now), it started out as a disagreement over the effectiveness of the Atkins diet. She said that my argument was my opinion, but it was all based on fact! Whatever. Funny thing is that my mom's love of Atkins brought me here! I told her that no matter how much I excercised, and cutting out junk foods, I could not get rid of my little gut. She handed me Atkins book, and I pointed out how the major foods were too time consuming to prepare (red meats- this was still during the school year and I work full time) or I couldn't handle because of my tummy (dairy). She suggested I do a search for diets that mention IBS- the next day I did- and Voila! eatingforibs.com!
Another funny but sad thing is that after putting me through all of this, she has babied my little bro (just turned sixteen), and he is the only one in the family that is not stick thin, in fact he has gotten quite obese and I feel really worried about the probable future health problems he will have.
To sum everything up- if I try to gain weight it will go to my tummy and butt, everything else will stay small. I want abs of steel and a non- jiggly butt. I do realize I have less work to do than I though, some of my belly was from being bloated- I never realized I was! (I'm a D)
I apologize for such a long post and being so long-winded. If you read this, that means you took the time to listen, so if you need to get anything of your chest (even off topic), feel free, I will extend the same courtesy!
Thank you for your concern also!
-Sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

Thanks- I'll look into it! Love the new sig pic! -nt- new
      #82182 - 06/23/04 06:55 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review