All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Hi ibsgrl new
      #82843 - 06/24/04 12:49 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey there! I went to school in Montreal, McGill, to be exact. Thanks for the compliments. I am not a writer (although I was an English major in undergrad). I am presently a fellow at the National Institutes of Health, more specifically, the National Cancer Institute. I am lucky in that I have all the major health info at my fingertips but am constantly frustrated about the lack of research/studies and focus that eating disorders and IBS get. They are both so common and often intertwined and yet people suffer in silence because they are ashamed and little money, in comparison, is spent to further the cause. The media continuously berate individuals, and in a very American way, describe the 'problems' as an individual responsibility in which the blame lies mostly with the person at hand; not my view to say the least.
In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about having screwed up your system. As I said in another post, your can retrain your body. Dealing with eating disorders, we forget how to listen to our bodies needs. We must relearn these methods and become in tune with ourselves. I believe it is possible to overcome IBS and eating disorders. It takes patience, time, and hope. I'm working on all three, I hope you will do the same.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

NIH new
      #82845 - 06/24/04 01:07 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Saralou-
I live in the DC area as well. My family is in a study at NHI on melanoma. I have some freinds who are applying for jobs there now - I know they do lots of good work! Let us know if you ever hear of things there doing on tummy issues!
Also - from someone who's weight has gone heywire with having IBS and is very sensative to body issues and internalizes everything - you're words on this thread have been very encouraging!
thanks,

Min

Re: NIH new
      #83058 - 06/25/04 07:29 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey Min,

I was also going to participate in a study here. I hope that your family is OK.
We don't hear much about IBS, at least not at NCI. I will certainly keep the board abreast of any such findings. I believe that IBS gets a mere 1% of government funding. Might sound like a lot when you're dealing with millions of dollars, but not when you look at the recent cutbacks that the Bush administration has issued nor when you consider that IBS affects as many people as it does (and that 15-20% of the population count only comprises those who have health care, not the 40 million in this country who do not).
I am glad that my words were encouraging, yours and the rest of the board are as well...thanks.

Saralou

Re: Counting calories new
      #83406 - 06/26/04 06:06 AM
Cathie

Reged: 06/21/04

HI Sheri,
It sounds like you might not be eating enough. I've read up on this topic and from what I have read most will state that you should not drop your calorie intake below 1,200 calories per day. You could purchase a small cheap calorie counter book for items that don't list the calories, fat, etc... One of the things I have also read is that if you multiply your weight by the number 12... that is the number of calories you need to sustain your current weight, you won't gain and won't lose. Then you could either subtract a few hundred from that number or best yet remain active to lose a few pounds per week. You really don't seem like you need to lost weight, but I know what you mean about being tone. Do you find that excercise helps with your IBS symtoms? I need to get active!
CAhty

Re: Fishnets (long post!) new
      #83459 - 06/26/04 09:02 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Hi Fishnets,
I too had (and still deal with some issues) and eating disorder and I noticed you said that is what caused your IBS. Do you mind me asking how that is? Just wondering if that is likely the cause of my issues now. Any tips, advice, insight, etc. would be much appreciated.

Well for a few years I became anorexic(on and off), then switched to bulimia for a few years(while bulimic I purged almost everything I ate). By the time I decided to try to eat normal/keep food down, my digestive system just couldn't take it! I knew that it's hard to go back to eating normal again, but a year into recovery and my digestive system was STILL all wacky, I knew something was wrong. So turned out it's IBS(along with other digestive problems). As far as advice, I'm not really sure, I guess just take things slow, try digestive aids like Beano. I know for myself, it took me about a year or more to be able to get to a point where I could digest beans that are mushed or in soup. How long ago did you stop your ED? Some advice- I notice times that I relapse and eat less, my IBS gets a lot worse! So make sure you eat enough, it really does mess things up.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Fishnets (long post!) new
      #83530 - 06/26/04 03:13 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

the same thing happened to me - i was never bulimic but it is the same thing in terms of digestion. With anorexia, there is nothing to digest in the 1st place so when you do eat your system is just out of whack. Bulimia, likewise, means that there is no food to digest either since it is thrown up before it can be digested. I just wish I had known how badly this stupid behavior can worsen IBS!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 490 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17907

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review