Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Counting Calories - so much in common--mandykay new
      #82689 - 06/24/04 07:57 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey mandykay,

That is quite interesting that many of us have had or are still facing eating disorders along with the IBS...could make for an interesting paper!
Not so surprising though, in the day and age that we live in and given the fact that IBS is a stress/anxiety related illness, much like anorexia/bullimia are...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: MandyKay new
      #82699 - 06/24/04 08:11 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey - don't worry about giving too much info - advice and information is always appreciated here.
I read your post to fishnets as well and saw you asked about how she thought her eating disorder was the cause or partial cause of her IBS.
Well, this is how I see it. For me, I would eat far too little throughout the day and then a normal meal at night. I always exercised every day on an empty stomach. Well my theory is that I was not giving my stomach the proper nutrition or amount of food to function properly and I guess because it never knew when I would "feed it" it just became really out of whack, causing the C and pain.
Now that I am eating frequently, and small amounts, at least this is what I am supposed to be doing, although in my opinion, the damage has already been done.

Re: Hi ibsgrl new
      #82706 - 06/24/04 08:16 AM
ibsgrl

Hey SaraLou,
I have to firstly say that you write so well and so eloquently (sp?) Is that your profession
Anyway, I understand what you mean about the pain being enough to give it up. When I see people who are still trying to starve themselves, etc, I wish you could show them how it could possibly be for them down the line.
That's cool that you lived in Canada before, did you go to school there or in Maryland?
I don't know if I mentioned this already but I'm ibs-c too and I am 18 (but 19 in 3 months! )
Thanks for your great post.

it is very interesting... new
      #82709 - 06/24/04 08:21 AM
ibsgrl

how many of us, just on this site have had the ed issues and now IBS. I'm surprised there is not more literature already on their connection.
It's nice to have people to share in this with. For me its a difficult pill to swallow so to speak because I feel bad that the majority of people here have IBS "just because" or "naturally" and I feel that I voluntarily exacerbated my condition. Still, I know that they will support me anyway and for that I am truly grateful.

Ibsgrl new
      #82750 - 06/24/04 09:30 AM
Saralou

Please don't think that you 'gave this to yourself'. We have all developped this for similar underlying reasons: stress, anxiety, worry, negative thinking, etc. It just so happens that you manifested that through an eating disorder. We all have our outlets and ways of 'coping'. Some people drink, some gamble, some binge/purge/don't eat...and we do it because deep down (for some) we are unhappy. You didn't give it to yourself, you're body is telling you to stop and change your lifestyle through an altered eating habit and stress-relievers because it is not willing to put up with it anymore. Some could argue that IBS is a blessing in disguise (although i know it certainly does not feel like it!) because it's your body's way of telling you that you are impacting it in an unhealthful way and need to change or pay the price.
Take courage, we're all in this together!

Re: Ibsgrl new
      #82762 - 06/24/04 09:42 AM
ibsgrl

Thanks SaraLou, maybe it is a "blessing in disguise". Hard to accept, but you're right. Thanks for your support, I look forward to "talking" with you more!

Is it coincidence? new
      #82798 - 06/24/04 10:57 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

This is so weird- even though I didn't have symptoms and thought I was still normal, after I started eating again after being anorexic - I noticed that anytime after I ate something I had to rush right to the bathroom. I did get alot better, but things were never the same, yet I don't hink I had it yet at that time. It's kinda hard to remember. And I blame for in my depressed times I would pop pills for comfort, it didn't even matter if they wouldn't alter my mentality, sometimes I would even just take whatever antibiotics where around the house. It is just clicking now about gut flora and how I may had damaged myself.
But, my IBS actually hit when I was so depressed. I hated my job and was treated badly by all coworkers. But I was making 2 x what I'd make anywhere else. My boyfriend at the time was extremely emotionally abusive.
What is weird is that I now beleive that he had (or has, rather) IBS and either didn't know or was too embarrassed to tell me. I always thought i "caught" my problems from him- even though I know it's impossible!
Is this more than coincidence? Hopefully one day they will unravel all of the mysteries of IBS!

--------------------
-Sheri

Of course it is! -nt- new
      #82799 - 06/24/04 10:59 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

"Anorexics Scared Straight!" -nt- new
      #82801 - 06/24/04 11:08 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Is it coincidence? new
      #82840 - 06/24/04 12:39 PM
Saralou

I don't think it is a coincidence at all. I think all of the things you mentioned: not eating, abusive boyfriend and coworkers, working at a place that made you unhappy, popping pills, being depressed...all had to do with your system finally breaking down. The body is very resilient, but only up to a certain point. After a while of abusing it (mostly through no fault of your own) it gives up and makes you pay for treating yourself poorly, mentally, emotionally as well as physically. Luckily, you can retrain your body. It takes time and you might not feel the way you used to, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Take one day at a time and know that each time you feel down, are cynical or are in a situation where you are unhappy (i.e. work, relationship etc...) you need to do what you can to get out of it. Your body, health and life depend on it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1363 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17890

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review