Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

i would have a colonoscopy just to clear myself out. *pout*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

DanaNoel new
      #141596 - 01/23/05 04:05 PM
Niesan

Reged: 01/18/05

Hi, I really hope this doctor works out for you. I also have a very bad case of IBS_D. I take lotronex for it and it has really changed my life. Not to say that I dont have bad attack but it went from everyother day to once every two weeks. But still feel bloated every 3 days. Now in one hand I can understand why the Klonopin would work but this is a controled substance that can be habit forming. I have never heard of it to treat IBS. It would be interesting to see how it works out. Good luck.

I take Klonopin too new
      #141609 - 01/23/05 04:26 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It's often prescribed to help with anxiety that goes along or accompanies IBS. It's not that unusual.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: specifically for JULES but also for anyone else interested in what my new gastro had to say - Possible new diagnosis for my IBS symptoms. new
      #141646 - 01/23/05 05:58 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Can you update us on your progress with this doc? I am an IBS-C and have found two contradictory things. 1.- I can follow an almost purely sugar diet and have very few reactions (sugar meaning refined soft and in the form of junk food -not fruit!) OR I can follow something like the atkins diet, which is amazing at eliminating the bloating and gas and horrrible twisting discomfort- but it leaves me absolutely constipated and bound so that I have no choice to resort to laxatives and diarrhea every week or so just to have a BM. Sometimes its worth it though just to have those few peaceful days in between.

DanaNoel new
      #141781 - 01/24/05 06:49 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

What part of Houston do you live in? I am close to the Woodlands off of Highway 45. Boy am I ever interested in your doctor! I hope he is on my insurance.

I was on a medication several years ago that was to treat epilepsy and it didn't work very well for me...I then learned that it was also used to treat schizophrenia...great for those with schizophrenia but I don't have it and really didn't want to be treating myself with that. I have done relatively well for the last year or so until December and have been rather discouraged as of late. I think I am going to look your doc up!

Sounds great! You should be fine with that! Keep us posted! -nt- new
      #141841 - 01/24/05 08:45 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: DanaNoel new
      #141962 - 01/24/05 12:17 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey there,

My doctor's name is Dr. Mathias and he works in the hospital district of Houston called Texas Women's Hospital. He also does a lot of work with patients who have endometriosis, pibroids, and poly cystic ovarion syndrome. Oh, and by the way, I live way out in katy.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Dana

Re: specifically for JULES but also for anyone else interested in what my new gastro had to say - Possible new diagnosis for my IBS symptoms. new
      #141966 - 01/24/05 12:25 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Oh sure,

I am doing sooo much better. I had constant pain and diarrhea for 8 months straight until I found this doctor. Now, one thing to remember is that he did not exactly diagnose me with IBS. All of my IBS symptoms happened after the birth of my baby. He said that when you are pregnant, your hormones switch, some turn on and overproduce, and others turn off or underproduce. After the baby is born, they are all supposed to return back to normal, but mine did not - especially my pancreas. I became Insulin Resistant - meaning my pancreas does not work the way it should at processing sugars - and when I intake too many sigars, my pancreas overproduces the hormone to level off your insulin and it unfortunately makes my bowel over sensitive and effects it's motility. Now I am no science major and he has triend on numerous occassions to explain this connection with the pancreas and the bowel to me but I frankly am always left confused. This is not for everyone who has IBS. But, as you know, IBS constitutes any abnormal GI function that they are unable o find any other reason for. Well, this doc has done extensive research on women who have been misdiagnosed with IBS but who really have an Insulin Resistant type disease whose condition resembles IBS. It sounds like if you are able to eat sugars and feel fine than this might not be the right course of action for you, or for many of the people on this board. It's just good to bring new findings to everyone's attention because doctor's are still trying to figure out new diseases that were previously referred to as IBS that are not really IBS. They are so quick to diagnose.

--------------------
Dana

DanaNoel new
      #141970 - 01/24/05 12:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Maybe you cannot answer this, but do you know if this only happens in women who have had babies?

I have never given birth, but I have a problem with my periods (I am not getting them!) which is causing my hormones to be off kilter.

Also, is Diarrhea the only symptom or can it cause Constipation, which is my problem along with constant pain! If it only causes the D then I know not to pursue this further.

I know I should ask my doctor about it, but doubt he will take it seriously.

Also, so you don't need to take an SFS or do the IBS diet anymore, but just your own diet?

So glad you have found your answer! I wish I could find mine.

Thanks so much.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

LaPorte...Katy...I wonder if any Houstonian lives near me?~nt~ new
      #142011 - 01/24/05 01:52 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 896 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18771

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review