Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Update on my visit... and QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU!! new
      #82292 - 06/23/04 09:37 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya Jules,
Your experience with the GI sounds a lot similar to mine, with just a few differences. Mine _didn't_ offer me any more tests (the only one I haven't had is the colonoscopy) and he said it would just be putting my system through something I didn't need. He said none of my other tests pointed to ANYTHING except IBS, so it would be a waste of time.
He also didn't say he had the cause of IBS figured out. He did say the same thing about the diet not being the way to getting it under control. His theory is that it's the way food moves through your body, not WHAT is being moved. I am too scared to take the chance now.

Doesn't it feel so good to see a good doctor, though? I think I am feeling about 70% better now, but I think I must have jumped a few percentages as soon as I walked out of the office, before I even took new meds or anything because he'd been so good to me.
I'm happy for you, and I'm glad everyone agrees that your colonoscopy won't interfere with your wedding day. You must be getting so excited! I am excited for you.
Take care,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#82302 - 06/23/04 09:53 AM
geeta

Reged: 05/22/04
Loc: Northern California

Hi Jules, Please do NOT have a colonoscopy before a wedding. When I had mine, the anesthetic made me groggy for three days. You need to be happy and alert for that week preceding the wedding. Just have the procedure the following week. Your colon can wait! Love, Geeta (married 40 years)

Re: DanaNoel new
      #82466 - 06/23/04 02:45 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

No problem. Actually I take 2 wafers (0.125mg each) 4 times a day. I have not experienced any drowsiness but I am suppsedly on a low dose. What is your dosage? Also, do you take the wafer or pill?

--------------------
Dana

#82505 - 06/23/04 04:27 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Yep, I believe that the actions of my doctor have helped a bit. I feel as though he wants to determine the cause and the best course of action for me.

Uh-oh......geeta! You're the first person to tell me that your colonoscopy left lingering efonfects. Now I don't know what to do. I think that I'll call my doc's office and discuss again.

Thanks for posting on this thread, everyone. I've reverted back to lurker-status for the most part, but totally appreciate it when I get input when I ask for it.

You guys are rad!!

--------------------
~jules

If it were me... new
      #82515 - 06/23/04 04:57 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I would definately not have a colonoscopy the week before my wedding. Even two weeks. It can mess your tummy up for a few days or so. I would wait until after my honeymoon! I'm not being negative or trying to worry you cause everyone is different but THIS IS YOUR WEDDING...THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF YOUR LIFE...so why take a chance on not feeling your very best.

#82516 - 06/23/04 05:04 PM

Unregistered

Jules, considering your age (25-35?) you should not have a problem recovering from this colonoscopy. I was 30, last November, when I got mine and was just fine the next day. If you are not ultra sensitive to drugs, you'll do just fine. I'd get it overwith if I were you, because it will be off your mind and behind you come wedding and honeymoon time.

Re: DanaNoel new
      #82549 - 06/23/04 06:32 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I've never heard of wafers! My prescription is for 1 mg. pills---but I only take 1/4 or 1/2 of a pill--on an as-needed basis. I only take it occasionally since it can become addictive if taken on a regular basis. (it's in the same class of drugs as Valium). Thirty pills will probably last me a year!

#82551 - 06/23/04 06:36 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Jules, I did just fine after my test. Everyone reacts differently, but at your age, you should bounce back and be ready for that wedding! I understand the fear of the unknown, try not to worry about it, just immerse yourself in getting ready for the big day and before you know it, you will be waking up and heading home!

You are going to be such a BEAUTIFUL BRIDE, he is a lucky guy!!

#82560 - 06/23/04 07:01 PM
susan127

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Vermont

Jules - a couple things here
First, the colonoscopy is no problem - I had my first one at 53, and it turned into a non-event. Even the prep wasn't bad considering what us D's live with - nothing out of the ordinary. BUT...I kinda go along with the others in saying put it off a few weeks. Your wedding week should not be spent with 2 days of down time and anxiety (1 day in prep and 1 day in procedure). Leave it for later.

Second - in response to other posts here about hormones and seratonin - my attention went right up. My IBS has really been triggered by menopause - hormones. I've been following Heather's diet - though not religiously, and I really have stabilized. Of course I'm back on very low estrogen with an Estring, so that could be helping.

Third - some of your symptoms remind of something I went through a number of years ago. It turned out to be some weird intestinal thing - clostrydium difficile - or something like that. Took forever to get it diagnosed and I was ready to buy stock in Immodium before it stopped. But I was pooping straight mucous and the smell of food would have me running for the john. Major cramping and I just didn't feel very good. Anyway, you should have that checked, but no doubt you already have.

Fourth - I believe that medications can mess you up even more. Find a way to get under control without doing any prescription drugs. You have no idea what is going on if you are pumping your young body with medications. And all medications can cause other problems which only complicates the picture more.

Last - enjoy these next few weeks leading up to your wedding and have a wonderful day. You are beautiful!

S.
oVerly Verbose in Vermont

Re: Interesting Doc! new
      #82570 - 06/23/04 07:21 PM

Unregistered

I totally agree that colonoscopies are a piece of cake. The prep isn't pleasant but hey, you just stay near the bathroom. After that's over the actual procedure is no problem at all! My doc ruled out other stuff and said I have IBS. I've done some research on some stuff and am pretty stable.

Bev if you're reading this...taking equalactin has totally made my condition non existant for the most part. It's become a non factor which is what I've wanted. Hooray!
Sandy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1951 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18693

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review