All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Drink options
      #81311 - 06/20/04 05:28 PM
JosephC

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: Kansas City

Ok, Im stuck on this. For the majority of my IBS, Ive been on tea, water, and occassional soy milk. Are there any juice/drink options out there for us IBSers? I saw some Welches juice that had regular corn syrup, but not HFCS. Im a little timid for OJ still, but Im about to crack and down a Dew if I cant get some flavor!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm struggling with this too.... new
      #81322 - 06/20/04 06:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've seen some people mention cranberry juice, and others say Kool-Aid. Personally, I'd sooner drink battery acid than cranberry juice, but that's just me. Heh. I've been able to drink Kool-Aid ok in the past.

I don't know what kinds of herbal teas you've been drinking, but if you can find rooibus or redbush tea, it's got a more tea-like flavor than most herbals, and would make a pretty good iced tea, I'd think.

I know. This wasn't very helpful. I'm having one of those days where I'd kill for a Coke, so I know how you feel!

Re: Drink options new
      #81428 - 06/21/04 07:40 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you tried making your own flavored ice teas? Half decaf black and half fruit tea (peach or cranberry) is really nice. Spiced teas like chai can also make great iced teas.

For sweetening, you could try making some flavored simple syrups (same amount of water and sugar heated together until the sugar dissolves - just add a bunch of mint or ginger or rosemary and bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes). You can keep a bottle of simple syrup in your fridge for ages, and then make your ice tea as sweet as you like.

Now doesn't that sound better than a Dew?

--AC

#81478 - 06/21/04 09:43 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I often have trouble with this one too - and end up frustrating waitresses at many a restaraunt! Here's the safe options that I usually stick to...
At the bar..
- half cranberry juice, half water, no ice (cranberry is acidic and sometimes has HFCS, drink slowly and if in doubt go with water and lemon!)

At restaraunts...
- lemonaide is usually a safe bet, if you're sensitive to acid, you may ask for it watered down
- apple juice also often works (if they have it)

At home...
- I buy ocean spray white cranberry juice blends. Sometimes if I'm having an acid sensative day, I will water this down too (equal parts water and juice) and this helps, either way, the white cranberry is less acidic than red.
- I also drink lemonaide at home, and apple juice.

All the time - as much water as we can get into our bods without feeling bloated!!!

Good luck!
Min

#81492 - 06/21/04 09:59 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya!
I know what you are going through - I am a big water drinker but sometimes I would kill for something else! I just asked a question about flattened gingerale, and have so far received one reply saying it should be alright.. You might wanna check up on it in a while, though, to make sure nobody writes back and says, "No! Stay away!"
As for juices and stuff, I have been drinking cranberry juice.. I used to hate it (I mean HATE IT! Someone told me I had to drink it when I got a bladder infection, and I just about choked 2 sips down before throwing the bottle out a car window!) but it is really growing on me now that I have very few other options!
I read someone say they are okay with apple juice - I would be careful with this. Apple juice and I DO NOT agree and I've read the same about other people. I think I've had the worst reaction to apple juice than to any other juice.
Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#81506 - 06/21/04 10:18 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hope I didn't give anyone bad advice! I've always done fine on the apple juice as long as it has no HFCS! I guess we're just all alittle different!
Sorry!

Don't be sorry! new
      #81517 - 06/21/04 10:28 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey,
Don't you be sorry, if you are okay with apple juice then he might be too. I just wanted to put out there that I definitely do have problems with it, so it's not ultra-safe... just about trial and error with something like that I think!
Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Don't be sorry! new
      #81525 - 06/21/04 10:34 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hehe you don't be sorry about anything either Steph!

#81582 - 06/21/04 12:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Joseph,

I think once we're stable we can probably tolerate most fruit juices. I drink a small glass of pineapple juice almost every day. I'm also able to tolerate the low-acid orange juice (I have GERD, if you don't, you can try regular). HFCS doesn't bother everybody so you'll have to experiment. The Welches grape juice with regular corn syrup should be fine, I think.

I also make lemonade, and sometimes just put a squeeze of lemon in my ice water (Heather says not to drink ice water because it can trigger you, but I seem to be okay.

There's also some "gourmet" sodas that are made with real sugar. Boylans is one brand. Again you'd have to stir it to get all the bubbles out to satisfy Heather's recommendations.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

If you do down that Dew, just don't Dew it on an empty stomach!! he he

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yeah, I know the feeling..... new
      #81589 - 06/21/04 01:01 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I was at the store today and at the checkout counter there was the thing with all the cold drinks. I would love to have grabbed one of those coke's and chugged it down. But, I was very good. I went home and had a glass of ice water.

Barbie

--------------------

#82105 - 06/22/04 08:39 PM
JosephC

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: Kansas City

Thank you all.
I know I'll stay away from sodas. I actually quit those a few months before I started having IBS attacks and really havent thought about them much. But I needed some juice and drink ideas.
Im still unsure of HFCS. I try to avoid where I can-I know some foods I eat have it, but its usually low on the list and doesnt seem to be a problem. But juices I'll be careful of.
I never hated cranberry juice, so I'll look into that. And flavored teas are good, too. Acidic stuff sometimes bothered me pre-IBS, so if I do it, I'll be careful.

#82118 - 06/22/04 09:26 PM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

Hey, I've been told on here about Soyfee,(instead of coffee)
and teeccino caff. free herbal coffee, that contains no coffee beans. I've ordered some. I found the teccino herbal coffee today at wholefoods grocery store. We'll see how it tastes.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#82138 - 06/22/04 11:35 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

JOE TRY LEMONADE, I DRINK LEMONADE . ITS ORGANIC LEMONADE. ALSO TRY DRINKING LEMONADE WHAT COMES IN SMALLEKOOLAID PACKAGES. YOU ADD THE SURGAR YOUR SELF. JASPER

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

hey. new
      #82152 - 06/23/04 05:05 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i have no help here. i drink water and tea like it's going out of style.

i'm also fortunate to be stable enough to tolerate the occasional Coke and Cosmopolitan.

hope you find good suggestions!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review