All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
DOMPERIDONE
      #80495 - 06/17/04 01:29 PM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

I was told for 2 years that I had IBS until I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) 2/04.

I am on Domperidone, the only drug besides Reglan that is at all effective for gastroparesis. Reglan is NOT an option for me, as I have clinical depression - the side effects of Reglan are such that in a "normal" person, they might feel "blue". For someone like me, Reglan would make me suicidal. I cannot be on that medication. Domperidone was only available in Canada and Europe, not FDA-approved here in the USA.

Thanks to our "wonderful" (and BOY do I use that term really loosely)Bush Administration, any drug not manufactured here in the United States is no longer allowed into the country.

SO, the FDA and the Bush Administration have effectively signed my death warrant. For those of you who may think I'm being melodramatic or over-reacting - all I can say is this: Call a Canadian pharmacy, and see what they tell you. Or go to www.fda.gov, do a search on Domperidone, and see copies of the letters they have sent to pharmacies forbidding any further production.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DOMPERIDONE new
      #80576 - 06/17/04 05:09 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Can you not order from a Canadian pharmacy? There are zillions on the web, and I know a lot of folks in the U.S. swear they are cheaper and order all meds on-line from a Canadian pharmacy.

Please don't blame Bush, for heaven's sake. With all the terrorism aimed at us, I'm glad we're not importing drugs too - prescription, anyway! Just my two cents. Hope you can get some of this med or that your doctor can help you find something to relieve you! I am really sorry you are so discouraged.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#80673 - 06/18/04 12:11 AM
bsinnett

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska

I fully understand your anger over this. I have e-mailed you some information as to what others are doing and what you can do to try and put a stop to this. Or at the very least allow those who depend on Domperidone for any quality of life to get it. It is unbelievable that our government is not allowing a med that is sold over the counter in many countries and has been used for 20+ years to treat GI motility issues to get to those who need it. What is even more appaling is that the FDA's division of gastrointestinal drugs had approved Domperidone and yet the FDA still turned down the application with no explanation and no hearing.

Sorry, started to get a little carried away there. I will hop off my box now, lol.

Take Care,
Bonnie

#80848 - 06/18/04 02:03 PM
angelfire

No, I WILL blame Bush, as it's HIS policy. Canada and Europe are the only places you CAN get Domperidone. It is not available in the United States, it is the only thing that works. What part of the previous post did you miss??

#80849 - 06/18/04 02:06 PM
angelfire

"Can you not order from a Canadian pharmacy? There are zillions on the web, and I know a lot of folks in the U.S. swear they are cheaper and order all meds on-line from a Canadian pharmacy." - Um, that's part of the problem! I HAVE been ordering it from a Canadian pharmacy, becasue I CAN'T get it in the United States.

"Please don't blame Bush, for heaven's sake. With all the terrorism aimed at us, I'm glad we're not importing drugs too - prescription, anyway! Just my two cents. Hope you can get some of this med or that your doctor can help you find something to relieve you! I am really sorry you are so discouraged."

You are glad that we can't import drugs into the United States? Hope you feel the same way when YOU need a medication not available in this country. YOU see if YOU feel the same way when the ONLY medication I can take TO STAY ALIVE is now no longer available.

Yes, I WILL blame Bush, because the reasons we can't get Domperidone into the US is because of politics.

#80884 - 06/18/04 03:56 PM
bsinnett

Becca,

You can obtain domp through New Zeland. Many GP patients go that route due to expense and ease. If you are intrested in the who and how let me know and I will forward the information to you.

Bonnie

#81048 - 06/19/04 11:15 AM
angelfire

I am absolutely interested! Thank you so much - you can email me at sampietro2003@hotmail.com.

#81190 - 06/20/04 12:14 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Ok Becca! I usually don't loose my temper with anyone here on the boards! This is a place people come to for support, understanding and love. You seem to be terribly bitter, and I am trying desperately to understand your pain and your illness. But it makes it terribly hard when you come on and seem to take it out on our precious IBS sufferers.

As for the Bush administration, and for the record, this is not the place for anyone to come in and berate our countrys President, or campain for a new administration. I hope I have made myself perfectly clear! Honey, it doesnt matter who we have for a leader, it doesnt matter the political party. There is going to be this type of problem no matter who is in charge. IT has been happening for many years, with many many other medications, under many many different administrations. I think you have a problem PERIOD, with the current administration and you are using this as your soap box. Please forgive me if I have hurt you, but you have been rude to the other ladies who have posted with you, and for that, I am offended.

For years, people have had to go to other countries to find thier meds. It looks to me that this is what you are going to have to do to get yourself medicated. Go ahead and do it, I would, I would not hesitate one minute once I found the place to go. You know, it is not just our country with the problems, have you ever visited a major medical center in the US? I have, In Houston Texas, people from all over the world come here for medcications, treatments, surgeries....you name it. They are flocking HERE. I may be alone in this, but I am proud of our country, I am proud of the fact that we have such advances in our Medical Fields, people are looking to us and coming here.

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and the fact that you are suffering, I would hate to think I could not get my meds. Have you written or emailed your State Representatives, State Senators????? All of them, from every state??? If not, then maybe you are going to be the person to get a fight started to get this med approved!!

I am thinking of you, I certanly did not mean to be offensive to you or anyone else. I just want you to remember why we are here, we work so hard here to be supportive and loving to each other, in fact we incourage each other to whine if we have to. We accept it with open arms.

So many of us here are suffering, we just need a little love and understanding. A little love goes a long way. Good luck to you Becca!

#81196 - 06/20/04 04:58 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Sorry if I offended you. I hope you can get the medication you need whether it is from Canada - where it is available via the internet/mail - or whether you lobby to have it here in the states. At least you know why you are sick. Some of us, myself included, don't even know what is wrong or what, if any, medication we need. When one thing masks another there is no answer. I hope you are feeling better soon and that you will find the answers you need.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#81236 - 06/20/04 09:33 AM
bsinnett

Please take a moment and check out this link: www.gpda.net

It has some wonderful information about Gastroparesis (aka GP). It also has info on what you and others can do to help try and change what is going on with the Domperidone. There are NO medications specifically for GP. It is a cronic illness with no cure and very limited treatment options. Many who suffer end up on disability and unable to work. In the worse cases patients end up on tube feedings due to the stomachs inability to empty. The cause of this is many times unknown and strikes at any age. Patients suffer with 24/7 nasuea and in many cases vomiting, extreme pain, the list goes on. Imagen wakeing up one day with the worst stomach flu you have ever had and it never going away, thats GP. Food that is eaten takes either several hours if not days to digest if it digests at all. Please take a moment and understand the fear that Becca and so many others are facing without being able to get this med.

Take Care,
Bonnie

Edited by bsinnett (06/22/04 12:15 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review