All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Uh oh! I think I found anotehr trigger- tomato sauce!
      #79234 - 06/15/04 07:10 AM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

Is tom. sauce a trigger for anyone else- I've had pizza with out cheese before- and had it last night. But this morning I feel like I've been ripped apart- D and cramping....Checked food journal- What other alternatives are there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's possible... new
      #79249 - 06/15/04 07:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Tomatoes in general are a trigger for me... and actually, for just about everyone in my family, even the ones who don't have IBS. Like you, sometimes I can eat it just fine, and sometimes I can't.

Re: Uh oh! I think I found anotehr trigger- tomato sauce! new
      #79251 - 06/15/04 07:42 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Some pasta sauces have high fructose corn syrup...an IBS trigger. Also the acid in tomato sauce can be irritating to the intestines.

Barbie

--------------------

#79260 - 06/15/04 07:57 AM

Unregistered

some also have cracked red pepper. I know that if the sauce is spicy I can't take it but normally it doesn't bother me. Thank god, I am italian!

#79261 - 06/15/04 07:57 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hi Evan,
Although the most probable cause is that the tomato sauce is the culprit, maybe it was another ingredient. Did you order it from a pizzeria or make it yourself? if you ordered it from a pizzeria, do you usually order from that one? They may have snuck in a secret ingredient. If you are really upset about giving up your pizza it may be worth it to call and ask specifically what the ingredients are!
If you made it, then it is no question on what the ingredients are, unless you didn't check the pizza sauce label!
I really hope that for your sake it is not the tomatoes, I wouldn't be able to live with out the occasional pizza!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: It's possible... new
      #79514 - 06/15/04 02:23 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

tomato sauce is more acidic than fresh tomatos. Try eating eating them fresh and see how you react. I have GERD's too and do fine with fresh tomatos.

Re: barbie -Uh oh! I think I found anotehr trigger- tomato sauce! new
      #79967 - 06/16/04 11:08 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

That might answer the question as to why I had a "major" attack this morning. I ate plain angel hair pasta last night, but dipped it in Hunt's tom. sauce. Usually I make my own w/tomato paste, water, etc. but there's no high fructose syrup in that. When I read the label on the Hunt's already made sauce, it did have that. I was in the bathroom every fifteen minutes this morning for about an hour and a half. Then of course I get upset about it, which in turn, makes me nervous and continues the stress of IBS. Thanks for the info. Usually my own sauce doesn't bother me, so I was panicking thinking now I can't eat that either or what if something else is wrong. My Librax wasn't even helping to calm it down. I finally had to take several Immodium to stop.

#80063 - 06/16/04 02:53 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, yeah, big time. My last D attack 5 months ago was from homemade tomato sauce (my mom's recipe!!). I can eat it once in a while, but I got greedy and had it three times in one week!! It also affects my GERD but that's heartburn not D.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#80252 - 06/17/04 06:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Tomato sauce is not a trigger. It however must be eaten very carefully because it is highly acidic and insoluble fiber. Adding sugar to it helps lower the acidity. I found that I am very sensitive to it at times. Other times I tolerate it very well. Did you have lots of soluble fiber with the pizza? That would help.
Tomatoes are full of good things for us so you shouldn't eliminate it from your diet altogether. Just make sure you have it in VERY small quantities for a starter, with lots of soluble fiber.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Tomato sauce has been a trigger for me as well... new
      #80341 - 06/17/04 08:47 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

at least it was in the beginning. I haven't tried it since I've been more stable. I'm a little afraid to be honest. A couple thin slices of raw tomatoes are just fine -- but tomato sauces have bitten back!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1138

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review