All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Birth Control Pills
      #78505 - 06/13/04 05:58 AM
ctownibs

Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I am new here, and have read both of Heather's books. My lifestyle has improved a good bit, but I am still trying to find a few more triggers that creep up and make me sick unaware. Anyway, for the past week I have been COMPLETELY normal and I have been able to eat WHATEVER I have wanted, even going against all IBS guidelines (which is a miracle in itself). I am trying to figure out why and how to keep this going, and the only difference I can see that I have made in me this last week is that I have not taken my Birth Control Pills (Ortho Tri-cyclene 28s) all week. Does this make the difference or have any bearing on how well my GI tract has been doing? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Amanda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth Control Pills new
      #78510 - 06/13/04 07:06 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that low dose birth control pills are better for ibs. I do know that othro tricyclen is a pretty harsh form of birthcontrol. If you think it could be the culprit, or an adding cause ask to switch to a low dose BC like mircette (thats what I take), alesse, yasmin etc.

--------------------

#78590 - 06/13/04 01:19 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hormones can definitely affect IBS - I'd talk to your GI about this.

In the meantime be CAREFUL! You don't want to ruin the good spells by eating crap!

#78593 - 06/13/04 01:24 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

its interesting because i was diagnosed with ibs around the same time that i started orthotricyclen-lo. i never put 2 and 2 together though to see if it had any affect. although the gastro knows i'm on it and hasn't said anything about it. maybe there is a connection though?

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

#78610 - 06/13/04 02:44 PM
megc99

Reged: 06/12/04
Loc: Connecticut, school in Florida

I take the same ortho, and now that I think about it, my symptoms came about after I started taking it, perhaps we should switch to a low does birth control, I like ortho though, its the only pill thats proven to help skin and the only one my insurance will cover because of that

Low Dosage Ortho-Tri. new
      #78618 - 06/13/04 02:59 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Orho-Tri. is available in a low dosage form.

I perfer other contraceptive methods, as birth control sends my IBS-C over the top...

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#78682 - 06/13/04 05:40 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Alot of birth control pills also contain lactose, which is a trigger for a lot of people. There's been some discussion about this in the past, like whether it would be enough to actually have any effect on your stomach, but that's something to consider.

I also notice that my symptoms are slightly better when I'm not taking the pill, but I'm on a high-dose pill for endometriosis and take it consecutively for four months, so I don't get much of a break

Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 954

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review