All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is this IBS?
      #78493 - 06/12/04 10:17 PM
megc99

Reged: 06/12/04
Loc: Connecticut, school in Florida

For the past 4 years I have had severe abdominal pain, It would come once in a while and sometimes it was so bad I couldnt walk, It was so bad I would cry and nothing I took would make it stop.
I saw the doctor frequently and she didnt know what it was, they ran tests for all sorts of things including gallstones, but didnt find anything.
It started to dissipate so i forgot about it, however every time I ate my stomach hurt after, not like the pain before but just pain that would not go away. I forgot about it, thinking I just ate too much, but after reading about IBS I recognize that I have more of the symptoms, I go to the bathroom maybe once every few days, so I guess im constipated, and I get nauseus a lot, often with the stomach aches, also I get diarehea every couple of weeks.
They have become so bad I get shaky and have to lie down, I feel sick and dizzy, but I never vomit. I dont have any food allergies and Im in good shape, Im only 18 and I plan on seeing the doctor about ths but Im almost convinced that I have IBS, I read all the info on changing my diet and its BRUTAL! I eat whatever I want whenever I want because I have a fast metabolism, so this is going to be hard, but I guess I will try it until i see my doctor and maybe it will help. Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by megc99 (06/12/04 10:22 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is this IBS? new
      #78530 - 06/13/04 08:34 AM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

There are specific criteria for diagnosing IBS that can be found here. However, IBS has many symptoms in common with more serious GI problems, so you really should see a doctor at some point to ensure that you can rule those out.

#78548 - 06/13/04 10:02 AM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

You sound exactly the same as me. I was eating everything I wanted, not gaining weight. I ate chocolate, chips, pop, coffee, ect ect ect. Then one day after supper I had stomach cramps and well..you know. Since then I had severe stomach pain that lessoned over the past 2 months. I am "C" for 3 or for days and then "D" for a day. I'm on antidepressents, and i only eat very bland food. I hate this life now...but what can you do??

#78567 - 06/13/04 11:36 AM
megc99

alright, thanks you guys, I will definetly see my doctor

Meg new
      #78582 - 06/13/04 12:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good luck with the doc - Heather has a list somewhere of everything you need to be tested for. But I'd push for a colonoscopy (which not all docs suggest) - it can rule out IBDs.

In the meantime, trying to change your diet can only help, not hurt! The "easiest" first steps are give up coffee (totally, I'm afraid), give up caffeine, give up fizzy drinks, give up salads and try to avoid dairy and high fat foods. Pizza without cheese is actually very nice (I got take-away pizza for the first time tonight! ). And remember that plain chocolate, or eating chocolate AFTER a carby meal is better.

It's not that bad, I promise! I'm sitting here eating chips (baked) dipped in houmous - yummy! And I had pizza for dinner!

littleone new
      #78583 - 06/13/04 12:59 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

As an IBS-Aer (alternating) I've found that taking a SFS regularly and taking a low dose of Immodium daily were essential for stabilising. Why not give that regime a go?

Linz new
      #78592 - 06/13/04 01:20 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey I have never had pizza without cheese before. Is it not bland? Do you put veggies on it?

One of the best... new
      #78601 - 06/13/04 02:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...pizzas I ever had was nothing but roasted veggies, no cheese. Granted, some of it would probably kill me now, heh, but this pie was seriously over an inch thick and it was SO GOOD.

I was watching a cooking show yesterday, and the chef made a pizza on the grill. He topped it with a surprisingly small amount of toppings, explaining that grilling the crust gives it so much more flavor that the toppings aren't the only focus. If you have access to a grill, it's worth a try! He topped it with roasted veggies and fresh herbs. I was drooling, haha.

Re: One of the best... new
      #78608 - 06/13/04 02:41 PM
megc99

thanks you guys, I am having peppermint tea now! and im trying to cut out dairy but I love cheese!!! and i can stand no soda or coffee, but i LOVE carbonation, I like to do cranberry juice with selter water and a little lime, I suppose its healtheir anyway just to drink water
But my boyfriends mother was saying maybe i have Diverticulosis, she has it and says that IBS and Diverticulosis have the same symptoms, is this a possibility? and will the doctor be able to test for each?

Re: One of the best... new
      #78613 - 06/13/04 02:49 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Have a look at this, Meg, it may answer some of your questions. If you have all these tests done and they are negative it rules out things like Diverticulosis etc.
web page

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1175

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review