All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a few questions from the new girl
      #78042 - 06/10/04 09:16 PM
gypsygirl

Reged: 06/10/04

Hello everyone,
I've been struggling with IBS for three years and am finally coming to terms with what I should (and should not)eat.
I am a vegetarian and am wondering what to do about having a healthy amount of protein and calcium in my diet. I am training for a half-marathon and am fairly active.

Does anyone have a good suggestion about what I could eat? I've been eating nuts, peanut butter and eggs for protein and I know they are a no-no (my body knew it a long time before my brain!!)
I don't want to use supplements--just good, natural non-processed food.
Also, is there a link between an IBS flare-up and processed food? Like graham crackers, popcorn, etc?
Thank you all in advance!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a few questions from the new girl new
      #78061 - 06/11/04 12:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Quorn, tofu, etc are usually okay. And some people can tolerate beans enough (but mush them). Most soy milks are fortified with calcium, so that's not a problem.

Some nuts/peanut butter are okay- just be careful. And egg whites are fine.

vegetarians? can you help here? -nt- new
      #78065 - 06/11/04 04:18 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Welcome, Gypsygirl new
      #78066 - 06/11/04 04:21 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

welcome to the boards. hopefully you can find the answers you're looking for here.

when you're looking at processed foods, check fat content, look for dairy, and also keep an eye out for artificial sweeteners and hugh fructose corn syrup (HFCS), all of which are irritants to some people. you'll have to experiment to find your tolerance levels.

good luck. keep posting.

*j

--------------------

#78091 - 06/11/04 06:11 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

For protien I eat Luna bars, and I put soy protien powder in shakes....egg whites, some PB on a soft tortilla (a really small amount because it does affect me somewhat).
For calcium I take 2 TUMS each day, one in the morning, one at night - and my doc says that's as much calcium as you need! And it's kind of a bonus because it settles your stomach!

--------------------
~Cara~

#78092 - 06/11/04 06:12 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I am a vegetarian and am wondering what to do about having a healthy amount of protein and calcium in my diet. I am training for a half-marathon and am fairly active.

Does anyone have a good suggestion about what I could eat? I've been eating nuts, peanut butter and eggs for protein and I know they are a no-no (my body knew it a long time before my brain!!)
I don't want to use supplements--just good, natural non-processed food.
Also, is there a link between an IBS flare-up and processed food? Like graham crackers, popcorn, etc?
Thank you all in advance!!

The IBS diet is pretty close to vegetarian - have you read Eating for IBS? There's tofu, beans, etc. Nuts aren't all that bad, either, if they're taken in moderation and ground up or made into butters. Don't know what I'd do without peanut butter!

Popcorn is bad, bad, bad. Personally, even a handful will give me horrid cramps. Again, this is explained elsewhere on the site and in Eating for IBS in greater detail.

Other processed food: I think the closer you get to organic and less processed, the better. This does not mean that you should not eat the very safe foods made with white rice, white wheat flour, etc! It does mean that artificial colors and flavors, high-fructose corn syrup, and other cheap add-ins should be avoided.

Look around the site a bit more, and you can learn a lot. I keep re-reading Eating for IBS - I learn something new each time!

--AC (contemplating her fresh organic sourdough bread with peanut butter)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review