All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the board
      #77933 - 06/10/04 11:43 AM
valentine

Reged: 06/10/04

Hi there,

So relieved to find this board. Have had a horrendous 6 months trying to find out what my problem is, why it suddenly appeared overnight and how to get rid of it. Have seen 3 GIs, 1 holistic doctor, and an allergist (never knew I had allergies to soy (caused severe bloating) and shellfish both of those quite severe and a few other foods. Have tried elimination diets, fasts, x-rays, you name it I feel I had tried everything. Still I am no nearer a conclusion until I stumbled across this board.

So here I am with this embarrassing problem. I have developed this flatulence which seems to begin at 3pm every single day and continues until I go to sleep. I am so mortified and I know it affects my social life as I am terrified I will humiliate myself. Sometimes it smells terrible, sometimes not. The doctors are acting as if I am the first person who has ever had this issue. Am I?

That is my main problem and of course there is the constipation. I have been constipated my whole life - so I thought that that was no big deal.

Another wonderful addition to my stomach issues is that if I go out for a meal I really have to avoid deserts and creamy sauces or else I have the most terrible indigestion for the next four days and my stomach is growling non-stop.

So, I have the Eating for IBS book and have seriously cut down on my fat intake but I am so constipated!! I do take enzymes, probiotic, citrucel, peppermint tea and will track down fennel.

So any hoo. Does any one else have this flatulence issue being the main problem? I have no pain, no diarrea...

I look forward to visiting the recipe boards and getting any general tips I can.

Emma Valentine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to the board new
      #77937 - 06/10/04 11:53 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Emma!
WELCOME TO THE BOARDS (....the best place on earth! hehe)

I have similiar symptoms to you - the bloating, constipation and PAIN are the worst! I am currently taking Zelnorm, which I know is not the first thing recommended but its the only thing thats given me a glimmer of hope.

You said you cut down your fat intake a lot, which is great. However, I was just reading a post this morning by Shanna that said that you need to have some fat in your diet to help get things properly working web page

Also, do you know all about soluble and insoluble fiber? As C's, we need more insoluble's than D's to help move things along, but a little at a time.

Anyway, LOTS of people have gas problems - do a search and you will find TONS of helpful info...do you take anything for it by the way? Phyzyme, Gas-X, Maalox, Mylanta, etc?

Again, welcome to the boards, everyone here is so supportive and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask us any question you might have!

#77957 - 06/10/04 01:02 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

You have come to the right place for info and advice. I get bloated a lot, too. Mine is mainly trapped gas and it won't come out. Sometimes I wish I could let it out. My husband has no problem letting his out!!! Ha Ha
I take Phazyme and that seems to help. Do you think you could be lactose intolerent?? Have you tried cutting out some of the things you take(peppermint oil, etc.) and then reintroducing them one at a time to see if it could be that. Also, a good idea is to keep a food diary. It seems strange that it starts at the same time everyday.

Barbie

--------------------

#77970 - 06/10/04 01:44 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome Emma!!

Sorry your having such a hard time.....

I personally don't have gas "daily" but most of the time mine is either like a major windstorm is coming through all day long but passing over a sewage plant first.... OR it is trapped inside causing all kinds of PAIN

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#78073 - 06/11/04 05:32 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi Emma!

I'm also a C and have flatulence. ibsgirl has lots of great suggestions in her post! I'm not sure about the flatulence at the same time every day - maybe you're eating something around the same time that is causing the gas? I think someone had mentioned in a post that water sometimes causes bloating...

I have found the soluble fibre supplement and diet have helped with my C - all of Heather's wonderful suggestions...

Ana

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2778 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1132

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review