All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for those who have taken Bentyl for a while
      #77910 - 06/10/04 10:16 AM
misslynne

Reged: 05/17/04

I have been taking Bentyl off and on for a couple months. I take two 10mg pills per day (on days I take them), one an hour before breakfast and the other an hour before lunch. I have taken two a day for the last week and a half straight. I have noticed I have not been very hungry. I am still working out like 6 days a week and I usually get hungry by the time for my next meal, but the last few days I have been forcing food down, I don't feel sick, just not quite right. I know Bentyl can cause constipation, but I have been going, but is it possible it has slowed my metabolism down causing me to not be hungry? I have called my Doc so many times with so many question that I hate to harass her yet again, so any input would be much appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Please reply if you have any clue, I am getting pretty miserable new
      #77950 - 06/10/04 12:44 PM
misslynne

misslynn... new
      #77977 - 06/10/04 02:14 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

I'm sorry no one's replied yet - I am sure there are people who have had experience with it, it's probably just that none of those people happen to me online right now

For now, the best I can suggest is a board search, you may just find what you're looking for there - let me know

Re: Question for those who have taken Bentyl for a while new
      #77992 - 06/10/04 03:34 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, I've been taking Bentyl every day since Jan, and I WISH it would decrease my appetite!! I sure haven't noticed that effect at all, unfortunately! he he

It's just an antispasmodic, it shouldn't really affect your metabolism. Is there anything else going on that could explain it? Hot weather always decreases my appetite, could it just be something like that?

Wish I could be more help. If you find out anything, let me know, okay?

Thanks.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#78007 - 06/10/04 04:45 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I too have taken Bentyl but off and on now for over a year and a half.

Never noticed it affecting my metabolism.........wish it would............
If anything, it sent the pains away when I did eat, and over eat, and over eat...........even if I had to take it after the fact.

Kandee

--------------------

#78046 - 06/10/04 09:53 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I took Bentyl years ago. I don't recall the appetite thing but I know there were other side effects and the one that got me off of it - after a while on it I became WWWAAAAYYYY depressed, like nothing I've ever experienced. Just didn't care about anything or anyone, including myself. Scared the .... out of me. Stopped it and it went away.

misslynne - i don't know anything about Bentyn but i'm sure someone who does will reply! -nt new
      #78084 - 06/11/04 05:50 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I called my Dr. and did some internet research...... new
      #78109 - 06/11/04 06:51 AM
misslynne

...I found out by searching yahoo that Bentyl is used to slow people's digestion down, some pancreatic disorder needs to have digestion slowed and people take 3 10mg Bentyl a day to do that. That is only one pill more than I have been taking so I am thinking that the Bentyl has caused this. I mean I work out a lot and I work out HARD and I am always hungry, yesterday I ate half my lunch and nothing else after that and I was still burping and tasting my lunch before bed last night (sorry-know that is gross). Usually I eat about 6-8 times per day, yesterday I ate 1 and a half times. I have noticed slowly over the last week that my appetite has decreased and I have lost 4 pounds (I am freaking out because I only weigh 107 now!!! I was up to 116 like 3 weeks ago). My Doctor comes in this afternoon so when she calls me I will let everyone know what I find out.. Thanks for all the responses, it defienitly helps to know I am not alone

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 709 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 879

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review