All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
A silly question...
      #77441 - 06/09/04 07:58 AM
Mikala

Reged: 05/19/04
Loc: Greensboro, NC

Hey everyone. I have kind of an odd question. I have IBS-D (self diagnosed until my colonoscopy on the 28th), and I was wondering about weight loss. I know that in general, people lose weight on the IBS diet bc they are cutting out fat. I have been doing the diet for about a month now (still have D attacks just about every day), but am not losing weight. I was exercising regularly, but my attacks got so bad that I was just exhausted all the time and couldn't go to my exercise classes. I just don't know what to do. I thought with all the trips to the bathroom, there would be no way that I COULDN'T lose weight. I'm getting frustrated.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A silly question... new
      #77447 - 06/09/04 08:03 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey! Nice pic AND you used colours on your post!

Anyway, what are you eating - what does a day for you consist of? Also, if you were exercising a lot before and then suddenly had to stop because of the attacks that could have contributed maybe?

p.s - WELCOME TO THE BOARDS...and btw NO question is a silly one here!!! new
      #77448 - 06/09/04 08:04 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

#77464 - 06/09/04 08:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I gained weight with IBS-D! And with the diet, if you weren't eating lots of high-fat foods before, you could find that you're now eating just more sugar!

Btw, welcome!

Are you on a soluble fibre supplement?

#77608 - 06/09/04 12:44 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

And welcome from me too. you're yet another gorgeous IBS'er!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#77665 - 06/09/04 02:47 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,
I lost a lot of weight since my IBS flared up, but it's solely because I'm not consuming as many calories as I was before. I don't exercise at all right now, I literally sit on my butt practically 24/7 but I don't eat much either, and with all the trips to the bathroom, I guess weight loss is inevitable for me.

It could be just that although you're eating less fat, you're eating more calories. Plus, if you've stopped excercising you would definately have to reduce your calorie intake in order to see any weight loss. Alot of the foods that we (IBSers) can eat are low in fat but can be high in sugar and calories, so maybe that's it.

I believe it's Bev on this board who's always saying "calories in, calories out" so even though you're following the diet, if you're consuming more than your expelling, you won't lose any weight

Good luck! And welcome to the boards!
Kelly

#77723 - 06/09/04 07:31 PM
Mikala

Alas, I'm not. Should I be? I am very new to this and am just learning the ropes.

#77724 - 06/09/04 07:34 PM
Mikala

Thank you! You are too sweet, and mighty beautiful yourself!

SFSs new
      #77770 - 06/10/04 03:16 AM
Linz

SFSs are really helpful for IBS - they work for both C and D. Heather sells one on this site - Acacia - which seems to be tolerated better by most people.

#77820 - 06/10/04 07:11 AM
Mikala

Hmmmm a typical day.
Well, I eat cereal in the morning (rice/soy milk and honeycomb), then a sandwich for lunch (turkey and cheese on sourdough) and pretzels, dinner is usually pasta, chicken, tofu or rice.

There is some variation, of course, but that's typical.

I wasn't exercising a LOT before, but I was doing Jazzercise 4x/week for 2 months. (Before that I just sat on my butt)

I'm just so tired. Does anyone else feel tired?

HELP!

Diet etc new
      #77824 - 06/10/04 07:22 AM
Linz

Aargh! Cheese! No! Please tell me that's soy cheese, okay?

Tired wise... more protein seems to help some people. Vitamin supplements can help too, but you have to be careful as they affect some people's IBS. Making yourself do some exercise is a good idea - it does help, I promise. Jazzercise sounds fun - could you do another class?

Do you snack? Keeping some soluble fibre food in your tum can help the IBS - you DON'T want an empty tummy. And it could help your energy levels.

Make sure you get enough sleep, even if it's more than you used to need. If I don't get 8-9 hours a night, I feel awful.

Hope this helps...

Re: Diet etc new
      #77840 - 06/10/04 07:38 AM
angelina

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Minnesota, USA

Hey! I'm just here to chime in that I am also concerned about weight/weight loss stuff. I have been on Weight Watchers, and I lost 30 lbs before being diagnosed with IBS. I would still like to lose 5 or 10 more pounds, but after a couple days of not counting weight watchers points I counted what I had eaten and it added up to way more points that I am allotted daily, and I was eating what I thought was sensible amounts of food...
So, what I'm going to do is start a SFS, count points within the IBS diet, and walk each day. I found that doing my classes at the Y, like weight classes and cycle classes and stuff, is just too strenuous lately, because I also am VERY fatigued and tired all the time, but walking seems to be okay.
Have you tried walking? I find that if I walk to the coffee shop each morning and get a cup of peppermint tea and then walk back to my apt. I not only have gotten about an hour of exercise, but also gotten kind of a stress-free break while I read the paper over a cup of tea.
Anyway, just some thoughts...I started taking advantage of the whole "people on IBS lose weight" thing, and ended up eating too much of healthy foods, which isn't healthy. So, I'm going to try to be more careful, and see how that works.

Hope that helps, if you ever want to vent or ask for anything, feel free to ask me. IBS I know nothing of yet, but I'm an expert on weight loss and diets and foods, etc!

Angie

--------------------
SO glad to finally have a diagnosis...now to figure this eating thing out

Re: AAKKK!! I eat cheese! new
      #77841 - 06/10/04 07:41 AM
Mikala

Cheese doesn't seem to bother me. All other milk products do though.

What kind of vitamins should I be taking?

And yeah the Jazzercise is fun, but I'm just so tired that I can't give 100%. And if I can't give 100%, then it's not worth it for me to go. I feel like I'm going to pass out from exhaustion when I get done.

Sometimes I snack on pretzels or fat free crackers or ricecakes. Any advice on something better?

And yes! Everything you said helps! Thank you so much!

#77844 - 06/10/04 07:44 AM
Linz

Hmmm. Rice cakes are a great low-cal SF snack. Fish is really low in points, so is great for WW dinners. And try my mushroom risotto (on the recipe index) - if you make it with 90g dried rice and low-cal spray oil, it's just 4 1/2 points a serving! Beware of ADBs (4 points a piece) and Heather's breads (cinnamon Zucchini Bread is 7 POINTS a SLICE!).

Yeah, walking is GREAT. And it's so easy to do even if you're knackered. Just doing a little bit everyday makes such a difference.

Good luck!

Re: LINZ--What are ABDs?? (nt) new
      #77845 - 06/10/04 07:46 AM
angelina

--------------------

#77847 - 06/10/04 07:47 AM
Linz

I bet cheese bothers you more than you think. I thought the same for ages, but now I avoid it most of the time, my tummy def. knows when I've had some (think some was in my lunchtime pasta today ).

I take a multivitamin and 500mg Vitamin C, plus Echinacea. I need to boost my immune system cos every tiny cold knocks me out because of my Fibro. Sorry, but I can never remember when vit/min's are bad for IBS.

I mean...LINZ-what are ADBs?? :) nt new
      #77848 - 06/10/04 07:47 AM
angelina

--------------------

ADBs=Anti Depressant Brownies! - nt new
      #77849 - 06/10/04 07:47 AM
Linz

#77850 - 06/10/04 07:48 AM
Mikala

Thank you SO much! I really want to lose weight, but it has been a battle. And with being tired all the time, it's hard to have the motivation to get up and do something. (like now I just got up an hour ago, and already want to take a nap )

I am SO glad that there's someone else that gets tired from their aerobics/weight training! I thought I was the only one. I think I need to figure out what I should/shouldn't be eating in order to make me not tired all the time. Then I can think about exercising. I also want to wait until my colonoscopy on the 28th to get an "official" diagnosis.

Thank you so much! You all rock like candy (but not chocolate, because we can't digest it )

Hey, you're welcome! new
      #77855 - 06/10/04 08:04 AM
Linz

Thanks for the thanks! You made me smile in the OFFICE!

Try bribing yourself with sleep if neccessary (this sometimes works with me)... Tell yourself you can have that nap AFTER you've had a 20 minute walk/done the hoovering/done the ironing/etc.

#77863 - 06/10/04 08:19 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

First, if you still have attacks daily, maybe cheese does bother you. This aside, i ate aged cheeses, such as manchego, in Europe, and they didn't bother me. however, the new and processed cheeses did. in America, I avoid all cheeses like the plague. ) also, if you notice your IBS flaring up, you may want to lay off the cheese all together. even in normal people, cheese can cause GI symptoms.

Luna Bars are a good fast snack. I also like frozen fruit in the summer (variety, cut). Small containers of soy yogurt and dark chocolate (the good stuff!) are also good, easy snacks.

I take probiotics, magnesium, vit. b complex, citrucel, and L-glutamine.

I enjoy walking in the morning, when it is cool. This is both good exercise and a time for peace, relaxation, and thought.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#77865 - 06/10/04 08:25 AM
Shanna

it sounds like you don't have any fat in your diet. fat allows you to produce well-formed fecies, as well as to feel satisfied after a meal. it also provides many essential vitamins... your brain can't function with out it. your extremely low fat intake but high fiber intake could be causing your dirarea and your inability to lose weight.

good luck!

--------------------

#77867 - 06/10/04 08:29 AM
Shanna

whether you want a hard-core work out or a relaxing, easy one, walking is the way. keeps me in shape and happy. also a good social activity.

--------------------

#77875 - 06/10/04 08:46 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that I too struggle with my weight. If you are interested and need some support as I do.... I report in daily on the Las Vegas Fall Sprawl Board my first goal is to loose 40+ pounds by this event on Oct 15th (that is only 2 pounds a week) come check it out.
GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4001 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4713

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review