All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Here I am drinking coffee and absolute no reaction to it (m)
      #77068 - 06/08/04 06:21 AM

Unregistered

Sometimes it makes me go a ton of times after the first sip. Sometimes I can drink it, sometimes I can't. Then I wonder if it was the coffee or something else. Last night I had a hot dog with lots of veggies. I did have pasta first though. There are days I wonder if I have IBS or just a nervous stomach and anxiety that I'm going to have a problem. I know for sure that my problems started last Summer when my mom got sick and then she died in November. Prior to that, it was just a nervous stomach. I've always had that but it never amounted to countless bathroom visits.

I'm just curious if anyone's IBS is directly related ONLY to stress and not so much eating the wrong stuff. Or is the stress that begins the IBS and the food just makes it worse?

Thanks,
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Here I am drinking coffee and absolute no reaction to it (m) new
      #77070 - 06/08/04 06:25 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

IBS is basically a lot of symptoms... not a disease. It is indicative of a more serious problem. For some it is colon motility, seratonin levels, milk intolerance, gluten intolerence, etc. For some, the cause is unkown. We know that IBS's symptoms are triggered by stress, schedule changes, and even weather changes, and certainly certain foods. Many experience heightened symptoms after digesting certain foods during periods of greater stress. I have found I can't control my IBS, but sticking to "safe" foods is a good idea... especially for times when stress is rampant or uncontrolled schedule changes occur.

Also, try peppermint (altoids) and fennell (tea) when you have d. In addition, probiotics are used in Spain to prevent and treat d. Try some out at your local Whole Foods or health food store.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

be really careful..... new
      #77091 - 06/08/04 07:16 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i go through periods where i can tolerate a lot of things then BLAM! i can't take 'em anymore and i get really sick. so i only "cheat" carefully.

in my case, this fluctuation is OFTEN related to stress but not alway. sometimes i have just too much bad stuff (at once or cummulatively) and it gets me. i have gone weeks without symptoms, cheating merrily, but it seems like when i get D eventually it's even worse than i remember.

so enjoy, but be really careful!

--------------------

#77092 - 06/08/04 07:23 AM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

thats exactly how i feel. i almost dont want to believe it what im eating but that its because of stress/ worry/ anxiety. i had a coffee thismorning and i been in the bathroom 3 times, missed work again today. i think ive said this is 3 posts thismorning ..hehehe but i have nothing else to do but research ibs today. i find when i dont drink coffee i get "C" and thats just as bad having your belly look pregnant and aching away...hardly being able to walk, its more like a wabble, and having no energy. ibs sucks.

#77142 - 06/08/04 09:25 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Littleone, great pic!! Another gorgeous gal for the board!!

And boy do I know that waddle. When I start walking all bent over like that, my husband knows he has to get me home and in bed ASAP!!

By the way, how are you feeling? You had me pretty worried the other night. Hope you're doing better. (((((HUG)))))

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

reply new
      #77190 - 06/08/04 11:59 AM

Unregistered

Mine is more related to stress than anything else though there are some foods that I just can't handle and if you are stressed there are foods you should stay away from. It made me so uspet to know that you can have an attack from something right away or it can be up to almost 3 days later depending on your digestion and the food aggrivating your colon.

I think you will find that most people's IBS started from stress and have been trying to deal with it and get rid of it.

I used to be able to eat almost anything in the past but not so much anymore plus I always worry that even if a food usually doesn't make me sick will it this time and of course if i'm upset then I get sick when I eat.

So i'd say mine is more stress than anything else plus when I first got sick I kept forgetting to eat and would get D from having water.

#77245 - 06/08/04 03:20 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Sandy,

I can totally relate! I also had a nervous stomach and developed IBS when my mother-in-law became ill and died in a short time frame.

I think nerves play a huge role for me. What else can explain why the same bowl of cereal goes down fine on the weekend and makes me sick on Monday morning?

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1864 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review