All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Silly Non-GI Doctor Visit Question - I can't eat or drink all day?
      #77021 - 06/07/04 07:49 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I have a sorta non-IBS question for you all, particularly for other members of the delicate-flower, vapors-prone, dizzy-and-weak-when-it-gets-hot club:

There was a message left on my answering machine from my doctor's office, where I'm getting my annual exam late tomorrow afternoon. The message confirmed my appointment and said that I should not drink or eat 8 hours before the appt.

Has anyone ever had this for a plain ol' annual exam before? And how the heck am I going to not eat or drink from 8:30 am until whenever my doctor's appt is over when it will be the hottest and most humid day of the year? I get weak and woozy enough when I don't get enough liquids and salt and when I contemplate being in the doc's office with all those needles and stuff....this may be really unfun. And yeah, it will NOT make my IBS any easier, since my occasional D loves to show up when I'm all weak from the heat.

I'd love any suggestions from y'all about how I might deal with this. I suppose fainting dead away in the doc's office might convince her to give me an am appointment if she's going to spring this on me, but I think that's a last resort.

--a puzzled AC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Silly Non-GI Doctor Visit Question - I can't eat or drink all day? new
      #77023 - 06/07/04 08:10 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Um, ya...that has got to be the weirdest thing I have ever heard...are they tryin to starve ya or something??? I have absolutely no idea why this would be the case...does someone, anyone out there have a reasonable explaination for this? Sorry I couldnt be of more help AC!

#77024 - 06/07/04 08:16 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

Does your doctors office to their own blood work. The only time I've had to do that is when they test lipids and glucose. Strange, especially not having any fluids on a hot day. I would call them back in the morning and find out what they want.

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

Hmmmm? new
      #77025 - 06/07/04 08:21 PM

Unregistered

I don't know to much my guesses would be that if they are planning to do some blood work there or maybe they want to feel your stomach or intestines without too much in them.

I would be tempted to phone the docotors office in the morning and check with them why or if they made a mistake about what to do before your appointment. Also make sure to tell them the situation and how you react to the heat and and not eating. It almost sounds like a mix up!

Unfortunately we really need to speak up to our doctors and ask questions. If something sounds strange or not right it is your right to ask about it and ask again if you are still confused and then if you don't like what they have to say see some one else. I think a lot of IBS people have problems with doing this.

I find that I started to have IBS because I didn't stand up and speak when I was upset so my body decieded to express itself because the emotions I needed to get out where being bottled up.

Anywho I have my yearly exams and paps and that has never been said to me ever! And i've been checked regularly lately for cancer cause of changes in my cells and had some biopsies and have paps every 6 months for the last 6 years and they have never told me to fast.

Hope it works out for you and if you wouldn't mind letting me know cause i'm curious now for the reasoning behind it.

#77075 - 06/08/04 06:32 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I think I would reschedule and go for a morning appointment.

Think I have an answer...... new
      #77083 - 06/08/04 06:51 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

They are probably going to do some blood work. You have to fast for that. I usually make my appt. in the morning that way you have already fasted all night...

Barbie

--------------------

I second barbie... new
      #77090 - 06/08/04 07:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They almost always make me fast when they're going to do bloodwork. I would still call the office this morning and confirm, as well as asking if drinking water is ok... even when fasting, I've always been allowed water. The no-drinking rule is usually to keep patients from drinking soda, coffee, and anything else sugary.

Good luck!

Re: I second barbie... new
      #77159 - 06/08/04 10:01 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yeah, I think you all are right, although she's never made this request before even when she did blood work. Feh. I think I will call up, because not drinking anything really sucks.

Thanks, everyone, for the guidance! I think I'll call 3 months in advance next time so I can get one of those primo 7:30 am slots...

--AC

so what happened? new
      #77172 - 06/08/04 10:52 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

this is an interesting request. i'm dying to hear the rationale!

--------------------

Did you call this morning and ask them why? -nt- new
      #77186 - 06/08/04 11:44 AM

Unregistered

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review