All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Feeling Rotten - Question about laxatives.........
      #76732 - 06/07/04 05:17 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi - I'll try to make this brief...

For a week now I've been feeling really crappy. I had an attack last Monday (the first in a couple of months!) then I was C until Saturday morning at which time I had a small movement. Saturday afternoon I had ANOTHER ATTACK! (The second in two months but less than a week after the first!) Since Saturday I've been bloated and in A LOT of gas pain.

My question is this - there have been a few times since I've been on this diet, with my SFS etc., when I've been C for at most 5 days. I don't take a laxative because I am afraid that my body won't "learn" to have a BM naturally.
Is it okay to take a laxative at those times - say once a month or twice a month max to stay "regular" to try to avoid the attacks later???
Any help would be appreciated!

Sore tummy!

Ana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feeling Rotten - Question about laxatives......... new
      #76735 - 06/07/04 05:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You'd be way better off trying to eat more insolubles safely. Make a veggie soup or cook some vegetables and eat them with a safe meal. bev swears by blueberries - stick them in a smoothie. Or add raisins to oatmeal. Whatever gets you going! This would be a lot better for you than laxatives. They are BAD!

Re: My experience new
      #80839 - 06/18/04 01:37 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

When I came down with major stomach problems last summer I had a feeling it was IBS but didn't have insurance yet. So I was using laxatives daily. Did I like it or want to? Heck NO! But you get desperate and you begin to rethink things. That is the only way I survived until I got to my GI. I am IBS-C so my GI put me on zelnorm, 4 stool softeners a day and milk of magnesium. I gradually decreased the milk of mag. and was fine. However, some days I would not go and this would make me paranoid of not having another one. So I decided myself that I would try a enema every morning if I couldn't go. Between the enema and the zelnorm, I was going everyday on my own. Enemas are not addictive. Plus they give you that natural urge to go. I think it helped reset my clock because that has been since the spring time and I go every morning. I missed for the first time the other day and that was it. I said to myself, I will just go and get an enema if I can't go and I went on my own the next day. They aren't fun but when you are in severe pain you think about ALL your options. It worked for me. Good luck!!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: And.. new
      #80844 - 06/18/04 01:50 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Also, I know some of you are thinking (after reading my post) that it can still be normal to have a BM every 3 days. I don't feel well unless I can go daily. I think each person knows there wellness and that is mine. Kind of like when something is wrong with your car and you can feel it by the way it is driving but someone else can drive it and it feels just fine to them. We all know our wellness and when we feel bad and good.

--------------------
~Wookie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3023 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 627

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review