All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I know alot of you didn't know...(males not interested in this!)
      #76680 - 06/06/04 08:40 PM

Unregistered

Sorry about the spelling.

I just wanted to let the people who knew I had surgery (laparoscopy to check for endrometriosis) that it didn't go to bad. The biggest thing is that I hate anesthetic.

I think like most IBS woman I had extremely bad periods that nothing would take away the pain and the minute it started I was even worse and so sick.

I did have a period before I went into the hospital and thanks to Heather and her diet and info it wasn't bad.

I hope it last (cause I did switch birth control pills cause the depo put alot of weight on me and I mean a lot more than most people did.) So in other words I am trying to be brave and attempt the female thing now. Nothing ever helped before even extreme pain killers.

The did leave 3 new holes in me and I can't wait till they heal and the sutures come out. They did do 2 biopsie and hopefully i'll find out the results next week.

Though I do know from all the reading I do that IBS makes a period worse. The hormones released affect your period and your period affects your IBS. What a vicious cycle.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I know alot of you didn't know...(males not interested in this!) new
      #76685 - 06/06/04 09:44 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Robyn,

Glad to hear your surgery went ok. I had one done almost three years ago and they found that I had endometriosis...not too much fun but at least once they figure out what you're dealing with they can start treating it.

What types of painkillers have you tried? My ob/gyn recommended Bextra to me, which I can't take because I'm allergic to sulpha, but she said a lot of people with endo and bad period cramps have good luck with it.

Keep us posted when you get the results!
Kelly

Re: I know alot of you didn't know...(males not interested in this!) new
      #76692 - 06/06/04 10:27 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Robyn, I am so glad you did fine during this procedure. I too had horrible periods, never knowing that IBS was a contributor. I had the reverse of Endo, all of that crud builds up on the inside of the uterus, constructing a type of honeycomb effect, causing the uterus to grow larger, heavier.....had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago. I was finished having babies and it was time to come out. I do not regret it one bit. I digress, keep on keepin' on.

Girl, you crack me up with that tongue of yours!! you must have a hilarious personality!!!!

gayla

Thanks new
      #76696 - 06/06/04 11:03 PM

Unregistered

I don't think that a lot of women understand just how much they affect each other and there wasn't much info about it a couple of years ago. I remember when I was first told I had IBS from a different doctor I had seen while my doctor was away. I was 17 and my family doctor told me there was no such thing as IBS so you can imagine that she couldn't figure out about my periods.

So to stop my periods I took the depo shot and I didn't mind gaining a little weight in the begining to start to not have a period and get rid of the pain but it just kept packing the weight on. They don't know why it packed on more for me than others though.

It seems that we women with IBS don't have to many options for the pain of our periods. Of course their are some IBS'ers who don't have problems. Lucky buggers!!!

That sounds horrible what you went through. I'm happy that it has seemed to work out for you though. I can't even imagine how that condition started though. I do alot of health reading and have never heard of anything about it.

Sorry this is long new
      #76697 - 06/06/04 11:23 PM

Unregistered

I was put on T3's with birth control, Advil 400 with Tylonel extra strenght, they tried a pain killer for people with I think seizures, perscription Ibprophen, buscopan, immodium, antimflamatories (I know I spelled that wrong), stuff like imprimine, colmiprimine, adavan (tranquilizers for the pain)I can't remember the rest and then they just told me to bad cause nothing seems to work to try and move around more when my period starts and not to eat chocolate near my period. I thought was @%$#ing morons I can't even move from the bathroom cause i'm sick and in so much pain that I would burn my skin in the tub trying to help. I used to cry and scream at my mom to kill me to stop the pain. I'd take a bad IBS attack over a period anyday!!!

I was told by a gyno that I needed to have the procedure done when I was 15 (around 1991) but my cousin's wife had told me how much it hurt with the gas in your tummy and I thought my god if i'm already having a horrible time with IBS the procedure would kill me so I waited till 2001 to have the first one and only gave in cause I thought that I couldn't be on the depo forever and was starting to feel crappy. They didn't find anything but a cyst the size of an orange and told me that shouldn't be the reason for pain. The doctor ruptured a spot of my cervix, gave me a bladder infections, popped all the blood vessels in my eyes,the hospital didn't have a room for me so they put me out in the hall of the maternity ward and told me I had to spend the night there so I discharged myself against their adivce and went home and couldn't sleep or stop moving around my apartment for 2 days (my mom freaked and was upset), etc so I wouldn't go back to him plus he wouldn't give me anything for the pain that I hadn't already tried.

This year I went to another gyno in another town (he removed my mom's cancer)and he said that doctor didn't look close enough with the scope and equipment and that it needed to be redone. You can image my upset.

So that is a brief/long discription of the events of my cycle. LOL

Re: Sorry this is long new
      #76699 - 06/06/04 11:29 PM
Vicam

Hey Robyn,

That's terrible! What an awful experience to have to go through during a lap! I was pretty lucky, the procedure itself was a breeze, no complications, but my bad doctor story is that I had mine in a smaller town, and they didn't inform me that they had "diagnostic" equipment only (meaning nothing to remove any findings). So, they found endo everywhere, and couldn't laser or cauterize any of it! I was so mad, if I had known that, I would have gone to a bigger hospital to have the procedure.

I don't know if this will help you, but I love my doc and have had great luck with her (wish I could find a GI guy that good) and she said that even Tylenol 3s and advil won't touch endo pain. I remember because I was concerned about taking Advil and other ibprofens because they're hard on the gut, so I asked for T3 or Percocets and she said they won't be as good. So, I gave in and tried 375mg of Naproxen, and it really made a difference. Plus, you can take Tylenol with it, so you can take both if you have to. And this Bextra is supposed to be even better, so you may want to try it. Unfortunately, even with the painkillers I'm normally bedridden at least 3 days when my period hits, but it's definately better than before then.

Have you tried continuous cycle birth control pills? I wouldn't do the Depo because of the side effects, so I take my BC pills constantly for 3/4 months so that I don't get a period. That way I only have to have 3/4 periods a year instead of 12. It hasn't made the periods any better...but at least they don't come as often!

Good luck with everything, hope some of this is helpful!
Kelly

#76700 - 06/06/04 11:44 PM

Unregistered

The naproxen did not even remotely help! I've had some cyst regularly.

The depo doesn't let you have a period though I gained 80 pounds on it. I know. No one could believe it. It was so gradual. I was always a size 3 or 5. So you see why I want a solution and not more pills and hormones but yes that's what I was trying to do but the doctor made me stop just before my surgery so I did get a period and that's the one that wasn't bad. Tough now i've started to break out in acne so now it's made me super chunky much to my disgrace and pimply. I missed all that as a teenager and seem to be punished with it now. The doctor doesn't want to give me anything till she gets the results back though she did say that I could take the pills non-stop to avoid a period.

I remember reading about your story in a previous post and thought that if that had happened to me I would kill the doctor and make him pay through his hide. Sometimes i'm really bitchy. I had thought of that even and told my mom when she drove me to the hospital on Monday. My mom told me to stop panicking and calm down that it wouldn't happen to me and that I was going no matter what cause she took a day off work and used it as a vacation day. LOL. That's a mom for ya!

I have been living in a real small town but they said they didn't find anything last time and this time I went to a larger hospital. I'll wait for the results of the biopsy though I am nervous that's it's cancer not endo. I think most of my pain in the past was from IBS and not having a fiber so my periods where bad. I am curious to have another period this month and see how it goes. If it's bad or just to avoid it i'll take the pills whiile i'm on vacations. You can't have 4 female family members togther on the other side of the country and having pms. Some people would not be coming home!!! (I admit I am a mega bitch when I have a period).

#77040 - 06/07/04 11:13 PM
Vicam

Hey Robyn,

Sorry the naproxen didn't work for you either. I didn't have too much trouble with weight gain with the continuous cycle pills...I didn't want to go on depo because I didn't want any weight gain, I gained about 40lbs on Paxil and it was so frustrating.

Anyways, try not to worry about it being cancer, I'm sure that's not what it is. I hope they get the results to you soon so they can help you feel better

BTW, what part of Canada are you from?
Kelly

why i'm concerned about cancer new
      #77191 - 06/08/04 12:11 PM

Unregistered

Ordinarily I would agree about the cancer but I didn't really tell anyone (maybe Mags privately) but I was sent to this doctor in March and had to go to the cancer part of the hospital to have a biopsy cause my cells have changed. That area was not cancer yet but will be but they wont do anything till it is and plus they said cause I haven't had children they wont. It's the same cancer my mom and her mom had. My cells are already changed past the point that my mom's had when she had the cancer so you see also why I wasn't posting awhile ago. I was just in so much shock. I did expect to get cancer but I thought like my mom and my grandma it would be in my early 50's not in my 20's. I have to go and have a biopsy every six months at the cancer part of the hospital now. It's not comfortable.

Anyways more pleasant thoughts...

I live on Vancouver Island past Nanaimo in a small town called Campbell River. It's the place where Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston came for their honeymoon. They rented a boat. Thay also film movies here like the 13th Warrior, we have an Island highway that goes on for many hours where the speed limit is 110 so they use that for filming too. Celebs come here in the summer as a retreat plus in the summer cruise ships stop here when they go up and down from Alaska now. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Nanaimo and around5-6 from Victoria. It's nice living in a little summer town but it does get boring and not to many jobs outside of summer.

Gotta go and get ready. I volunterr with Aids and Hep C patients and we are having an open house today so... gotta boogy while I still can move. Still sore but much better. Plus this blonde learned her lesson 2 days ago lifting a grocery basket by herself at the store.

Big kisses to everyone!!!!

biopsy new
      #77287 - 06/08/04 05:00 PM

Unregistered

First biopsy has come back fine but they haven't told me about the second one yet even though it was done at the same time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 661 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2655

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review