Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Paxil and night sweats
      #7662 - 04/28/03 08:48 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Quick question.
Does anyone experience night sweats taking Paxil, especially right before your peroid?
3 to 4 days before my peroid I wake up soak from head to toe and when it still gets down to the 30's at night it isn't pleasant to wake up chilled.
This started a few months ago and I've been on Paxil since last Oct. I called my OB's office thinking this can not be menopause - beginning in my mid-thirites. She told me it's my medication and stop worrying.
I have an appt. to see my primary Doc. next month and I am also wondering for those who were on anti-D what made you decide to go off of it?
I have to talk to him about switching IBS meds, because I can't hand Librax and Levsin and now Paxil too. My Doc. will think I am a mess.
Any advice on meds will be apperciated.
Thanks,
Barb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Paxil and night sweats new
      #7663 - 04/28/03 09:00 AM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

Barb
I have been on several meds and paxil was ok other than it made me grind my teeth i was on the meds for depression and stress when the stress went away things got better and i decided to go off the meds but you have to go off of them slowly.
hope that helps
Shelly

#7675 - 04/28/03 11:35 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi Barb; i have been taking paxil for a couple of years now, and no problems. How much are you taking, maybe you just need to cut back on doasage. I just take one a day for the ibs.

#7761 - 04/28/03 07:31 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I had similar problems with Paxil at the beginning. Insomnia, the "jitters" and I do recall having a "hot and cold" problem where I just couldn't get comfortable - it was either too hot or too cold. Mostly too hot. Anyway, I have talked to lots of people who have had side effects with anti-depressants. It is usually a matter of getting the right dose and the right med. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Paxil and night sweats re Han Solo new
      #8026 - 05/01/03 07:23 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Hansolo,
Thanks for the info. This is my third anti-D and it does work at keeping my anxiety level down.
I have been anxious lately and don't understand why. A few days ago I had a lot of nipple discharge and it has been five years since I nursed a baby. My OBGYN ordered blood tests today to check my hormone levels and thyroid.
When I deal with anxiety my IBS flares up and I have a hard time controlling the D. If my hormones are wack out - I guess Paxil is useless.
Barb

#8027 - 05/01/03 07:30 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Does anyone take the Paxil to battle the anxiety they get from their IBS?

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8050 - 05/01/03 12:46 PM
Deb

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Ohio, USA

I've been taking Paxil for over 6 years - initally for depression, etc, and not for any reason related to IBS. I've been able to gradually work my daily dosage down to about 10mg a day. I recently stopped taking it (I sometimes like to check to see if I can live without it) for a few weeks. I'm back on it because I couldn't stand to be around myself without it.
More to the point, I had a severe IBS episode during my time without Paxil and I became very depressed - felt like crying all the time and extremely cranky. I've had many severe IBS episodes while on Paxil and never became that depressed. I think Paxil is good for me - but each person reacts to it differently.

#8058 - 05/01/03 01:27 PM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

I have a very hard to go anywhere, the grocery store, the mall, Target, my neice's softball games, my nephew's hockey games, parties, out to dinner, you name it. All I think about pretty much from the time I wake up is my IBS. I have D, and it's pretty bad. I've talked about eating treats here there but most of the time it's oatmeal for breakfast, turkey breast sandwhich for lunch, and chicken or fish for dinner. I'll be doing fine and then I'll agree to go to a function and then it starts. I literally worry myself into an episode. I leave Sunday for vacation and I'm already getting anxious over the flight and if I'll have problems, what should I eat, am I going to enjoy myself. About 4 months ago I went to the doc about getting something to help calm my brain down, and he decided to put me in the clinical study for the new D medicine, he thought it would take away my anxiety. It helped a little but not much. I felt more confident until there was a gurgle or muscle contraction. Then brain took over and it was time to go. I've created prison for myself and I hate it, but now I've locked myself in so long I don't know how to get out. No one knows how I feel except for you guys here on the board. I try to explain it, but no one can really understand. Does anyone else think about it like this?

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8086 - 05/01/03 03:12 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Laurie - that sounds a lot like what I was going through. Three years ago, I couldn't even make it to the store 5 min. away from my house. It was horrible. The only place I felt comfortable was home. I remember I got so fed up with it and angry, that I went for a drive by myself one day and just figured what was going to happen was going to happen. And, if something happened, I'd be alone, so who cared. I was always paranoid I was going to have an attack and not make it (I'm IBS-D also). Well, that drive really helped me. Soon, I was able to start functioning somewhat normally. I still had a hard time going out anywhere, like the store, movies, etc. Now, I still have a hard time going anywhere too far or making commitments...it makes me feel trapped. But, I've been doing the hypnotherapy tapes and I can definitely tell it's working. You know how you base every decision you make to do something on how will I feel that day or will I be able to make it without going to the bathroom, etc. I always think about it especially right when I leave my house. Well, last weekend I actually was going out somewhere and I wasn't thinking about my IBS! I actually thought, "Wow! I'm not thinking about my IBS!" So, I guess technically you could say I was thinking about it. But, it was a good thing. I've noticed reduction in my axiety, as well as just a general feeling of calm? I don't know quite how to describe that "side effect". I just feel so relaxed and laid back lately. I guess that part is the tapes. I know the anxiety is.

Have you considered doing hypnotherapy? I can see the effects already, and I'm only 1/3 of the way there. They are really great!

Re: Paxil and night sweats
      #8095 - 05/01/03 03:44 PM
H2

Loc: Ohio

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I am better than I used to be about it, but I can still work myself into an episode if I am nervous enough about going somewhere. I do know that each trip I take increases my confidence, and just recently there have been times where I have been out and don't think about IBS once! I haven't tried the hypnotherapy tapes yet, but that is good advice from Mags! (as usual!)

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3114

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review