All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Splenda ?
      #76592 - 06/06/04 12:35 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

I've been using Splenda regularly for a long time.I drink many cups of mint tea a day and use abt. 1/2 tsp. in each one.I just read here that it might not be safe.If I am feeling okay can it be that this doesn't bother me and that's okay? If not what other sweeteners do you use?
I have to use something sugar free bec. I need to lose weight. Thanks, Suzy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Splenda ? new
      #76607 - 06/06/04 02:41 PM

Unregistered

Hi

I guess that you're on the board because you have IBS. An IbS attack can be triggered by having an artificial sweetener such as Splenda. (I was told).

To cut down on my sugar intake I try to reduce the amount of sugar that, substitute some unsweetened apple sauce, or try to use Stevia. Stevia you have to be careful with cause it's so strong. It's made from a plant and not as bad for you as an artificial sweetener. If you use to much it can make stuff bitter so read the directions.

I started halfing the sugar and adding some Stevia and that's how i've been starting to ween myself off of sugar.

#76662 - 06/06/04 06:54 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Thanks Robyn! Yes I am IBS,the C kind.Been coming here off and on for 6 mos. or so.I love the great info. and support here.
I used to use Stevia all the time,but for some reason(maybe cost) switched to Splenda,or it's probably bec. some recipe called for it.
I didn't mind the Stevia at all.I'll have to go look in my cabinet to see if I still have any.If not I'll just head on back to our local HF store.I feel like I go there every other day. Thanks for you help. Suzy

#76667 - 06/06/04 07:48 PM

Unregistered

That's great that you like Stevia it's so strong that it lasts forever and people who want to lose weight use it.

It's made from a shrub not the regular sugar that is not broken down well in the body, makes you fat, and even ferments in your intestines (read in a health article).

So... if you can tolerate the tast I think it's even better for dieting than an artificail sweetener.

I have powder and even liquid.

Artificial sweeteners new
      #76705 - 06/07/04 12:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try and cut down on all artificial sweeteners - they aren't great for you. The only way to know if you're okay with something is to stop taking it (completely, cold-turkey, no cheating) for a few weeks, monitor your symptoms, then start again and monitor your symptoms.

Stevia new
      #76929 - 06/07/04 02:36 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

There have also been several posts on the warnings about Stevia as well. Do a search and see what you find.

I use Splenda and don't have any problems. But artificial sweetners don't affect me much. But its good to always cut back like Linz suggested.

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Re: Stevia new
      #76946 - 06/07/04 04:02 PM

Unregistered

I did some research but for the most part and from other people taking it it's better for you than sugar and artifical sweeteners.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 799

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review