All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
help:fibre
      #76584 - 06/06/04 11:44 AM
GARFY

Reged: 06/06/04

I have had I.B.S C for five years and need a fibre supplement. I have tried fibogel and Metamucil and they made me much much worse(bloating and wind beyond belief). I also tried oatmeal and it made me much worse. Is there any one who can help me? I tried Aloe vera which helped slightly(but I still have lots of problems) but I read it can cause colon cancer. Thank you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help:fibre new
      #76589 - 06/06/04 12:20 PM
Valerie3kids

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Florida

I am using Benefiber. Seems to work well for me. Hope you get some relief.

Valerie

#76599 - 06/06/04 12:54 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

(I edited this out because it was less than helpful. About 5 minutes after singing the praises of Citrucel, I started getting stomach pain and bloat. So much for MY recommendation, LOL!)

Edited by atomic rose (06/06/04 04:41 PM)

#76609 - 06/06/04 02:45 PM

Unregistered

You have to start off at a really low dose of solauable fiber at the start till your body adjusts. It's even usually lower the the recommended amount that bottles say.

I tried Metamucil years ago and it was horrible and I couldn't bear the pain. So when I started the Acacia I had to stay near the bathroom for awhile till my body adjusted.
When I finally adjusted I switched to Metamucil about a week and a half ago and am fine. (Make sure you don't use any SFS with artificial sweeteners).

You might want to start with some Acaicia it seems to be one of the easiest ones to start with.

#76627 - 06/06/04 04:18 PM
drz7

Reged: 05/04/04

I started out using Acacia,but the stomach pain was unbearable. Now I'm using Benefiber and I'm doing much better! Start with a 1/2-1 teaspoon,twice daily,then after a couple of weeks increase it to 2-3 tablespoons a day.
Good Luck!

#76706 - 06/07/04 12:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Everyone's different with SFS, but Acacia seems to cause less gas and bloating, so as that's your problem, maybe try it. Fybogel def. contain psyllium (don't know about Metamucil), which is know to cause bloating.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2879 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 649

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review