All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ugh.. now I've swung in the other direction! (Q about C)
      #76166 - 06/04/04 07:15 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've been following the IBS diet since my last attack, on Sunday... less the SFS, because I didn't have money to buy one. The biggest change has been giving up caffeine - I was a 6-pk-of-soda-a-day person. I had a couple days where I literally didn't eat anything at all, because I was too nauseous. Well, 5 days later, I haven't had a BM and don't even remotely feel like I have to go. Being that I'm normally a D, that's something of a relief. But of course it worries me.

So... is this somewhat normal? I'm going to be getting my SFS today and start it immediately - will that get things going quickly-ish? Should I use a laxative? Can anyone recommend a relatively gentle one? (I've used docusate sodium before... it works, but then I end up with D, cramps and bloating for days afterwards.)

Oy, these guts.

PS - I apologize if this is redundant... I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe I'm just not awake yet. *curses the lack of caffeine*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ugh.. now I've swung in the other direction! (Q about C) new
      #76172 - 06/04/04 07:35 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there....sorry to hear you've swung the other way!!

First....please don't use a laxative unless absolutely necessary...they are soooo hard on your system!!

Once you start the SFS you should see some improvement...but be careful not to start with too high a dose otherwise you'll end up cramped and bloated...so just start slow and work your way up over time. Remember to drink lots and lots of water or else the SFS won't work like it should.

Also...you should start slowly and safely incorporating insoluble back into your diet...this should help too!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

#76174 - 06/04/04 07:39 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey,
As much as it sucks I would say wait it out, see if the SFS helps at all. Laxatives are not only bad but can cause such bad pain in even those with really severe C, so I definitely think it might not sit well with you! Also, are you eating any insoluable fiber? Usually that helps for C, as long as its not too much, and D'ers try to avoid it unless they can have it with a soluable fiber base. Maybe try eating one of these things on the list!
web page

Thanks. :) new
      #76178 - 06/04/04 07:53 AM
atomic rose

I had started incorporating some insoluble fiber back in, but I probably just haven't given it time to work. Being that I'm so used to rushing to the bathroom 5 times a day, not going for 5 days just scared me. LOL! Thank you for the reassurance!

Thanks Kimm! new
      #76181 - 06/04/04 07:57 AM
atomic rose

Yeah, laxatives are the pits... I was hoping everyone would say to avoid them. Heh. I've never tried a SFS before, so I was definitely planning on a low dose... here's hoping it does the trick. Thanks!

#76199 - 06/04/04 08:50 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

"SMOOTH MOVES TEA" by Traditional Medicinals...I swear by it!

Smooth Move Tea - does it have senna in it? -nt- new
      #76202 - 06/04/04 08:57 AM
ibsgrl

Re: Smooth Move Tea - does it have senna in it? -nt- new
      #76220 - 06/04/04 10:00 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

it does....I'm not bothered by senna though

I've seen that... new
      #76273 - 06/04/04 12:38 PM
atomic rose

... and wondered if it was harsh or not. Are you a C or a D? I'm a D, and I've never tried senna, and I'm afraid it would cause worse problems than it cures!

Re: I've seen that... new
      #76279 - 06/04/04 12:44 PM
ibsgrl

I would personally stay away from it...from previous posts from Heather, she stated:

Senna, Correctol, and all other laxatives can cause bowel dependency. If they're stimulant laxatives. they can trigger IBS attacks as well. And all laxatives can cause rebound constipation as they interrupt the natural function of your gut, which is what you're always trying to keep as stable as possible with IBS.

- Heather

and

These teas are laxatives - they usually contain senna. They are not gentle on the GI tract, and they can cause bowel dependency.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1701 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review