Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
New Job, New Day.. Need to get stable
      #75775 - 06/03/04 05:09 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
So I got my new job that I have been waiting and waiting for, and I am so happy about it but I am really scared of the journey out to work every day. I have been so unstable lately, especially in the mornings, and I am really scared to be getting on public transport for any period of time.
I really need help getting stable.
I am going to be _super_ careful with my diet now.. I have been eating some things like packaged sauces (teriaky) where I thought the ingredients were okay, but maybe they weren't. I am taking an anti-spasmodic three times a day, taking Acacia fiber and have re-started the hypno program today. I will also be re-starting my food diary today.
I go to see my (entirely useless) GI on Tuesday, so _maybe_ I will find some help there but I won't put all my eggs.. or even a few of them.. in that one basket.
If anyone has any suggestions, I will take 'em. I need to get stable, I cannot give up this job because I want it so bad! I was on peppermint capsules and tea, but got told I have reflux now so I am just on fennel tea instead. Help! Help! Help! I am out of ideas and so desperate to be able to take this job.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Job, New Day.. Need to get stable new
      #75782 - 06/03/04 05:26 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Good luck!

Personally for me surviving the day at work seems to be a constant battle and the half an hour drive down a busy road doesn't do anything to lower my stress levels! IBS is definately evil, as I can cope with feeling constantly sick, but it's the constant tiredness that is really really depressing. Oh well only 4 hours to go!

Rice, fish and bananas are always good in becoming a bit more stable ... boring but worth it in this kind of situation.

#75791 - 06/03/04 06:10 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Congratulations Steph! It sounds like you are doing everything you need to do to get stable.

I always rely on rice when I have stress issues, new ones, old ones, any ones. If you arent doing so now, and you probably are, take a bowl of rice with you every day. I am always comforted to have my old buddy 'rice' with me.

Hope your day is great!! gayla

*grumble* So much for a new day.. new
      #75871 - 06/03/04 09:17 AM
Stephie

Hi again,
So I am trying to get stable, but will have to wait 'til tomorrow now for a good start of it. I've had 3 D attacks today and am feeling really defeated. I was going to go shopping to get some new clothes for my new job, but was feeling my third attack coming on as I got to the bus stop and couldn't make myself get on the bus. So instead, I went into the pub I work in and quit my job (yay, that was a good part of the day) and sat there for a bit. When I was coming home, I looked in some little shops and felt another attack coming on and hurried home.
I've had white toast, pretzels and some plain noodles today. And fennel tea. *sigh*
I really need to figure out why I am getting so sick so I can fix it, this is not okay!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: *grumble* So much for a new day.. new
      #75902 - 06/03/04 10:47 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

girlfriend, the stress is eating you alive!!! I feel so bad for you, I know what it feels like to have to turn around and go back home. You had that positive attitude and everything and the D turned around and slapped you in the face!

Do you take anti-depressants, or anti-stress meds??? I know we have talked about this before, humor me please. I forget who said what sometimes. Hope your day gets better!!

gayla

Anti-depressants, etc new
      #75927 - 06/03/04 11:21 AM
Stephie

Hiya,
I am not on any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety or anything like that. When my GP here said that if my anxiety got any worse, we would talk about it, my boyfriend really freaked out. Now, I don't want to sound like "My boyfriend said don't, so I will do what he says" but the problem is - I have always been really against anti-depressants in the past. My sister went on them after she lost a baby, and when she tried to go off them she just lost it. She couldn't even function without them after that. I was always opposed to going on them, for fear of being stuck on them.
Then when my boyfriend voiced the same fear, I got really anti-meds again. He's a bit worse than me, he says it totally changes who you are and suppresses your real personality and stuff, which I know isn't exactly the case, but I would be so scared of getting hooked on 'em. Plus, I've heard so many stories about terrible side effects.
I am feeling really down now, I've had my 4th attack of the day after dinner. I'm hoping that if there is a silver lining, it's that I have gone so many times today that I will be running on Empty tomorrow when I have to go to work.
Plus, my boyfriend wants me to go and visit family with him tomorrow night but they are a long car ride away and will probably be going for a pub meal, so I said no... I know I am disappointing everyone but I am just too unstable right now for any of that. Oy... I just wanna crawl under a rock.. a rock with a toilet, maybe..
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#75946 - 06/03/04 11:53 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Steph,
We are so happy for you that you are in a new job that you can be optomistic about. We are all pulling for you! Good luck on the diet and remember also, as much as you can, don't rush when you're eating - relax, chew alot, more than you think you need to. I'm not good at that one, especially when I'm eating at work, but I know it helps when I can do it. Watch what you drink too - caffein, carbination or alcohol can be some of the WORST triggers. Good luck and let us know how things are going.
Min

#75959 - 06/03/04 12:21 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hey Steph,

Congrats on the new job. It sounds as if it'll be really fun. I too am not a fan of public transit. I used to take the subway to highschool everyday, but now I hat ethe thought of a long drive to work and am really happy I don't have one.

The first piece of advice I have, and you may have done it already, is before you start, travel the route a couple times so you can see what to expect on a day where you're not in a hurry. Take some time and figure out where different emergency washrooms would be on the way. That way if you are having a really bad day one morning you know ok, I just have to make it another 10 minutes to this stop as opposed to 'oh crap' it'll be another 45 minutes til I get to work. One other thing, especially for the first week, give yourself lots of extra time, that way if you do feel you've got to take a pit stop, you're not putting more pressure on yourself.

Mornings suck for me too. I have gotten relatively stable, although getting paged to go on a flight in the middle of the night like last night doesn't help, but that's another story.

The things that I have found that help me the most on the mornings are:
1- being really careful about what I ate including making sure I have my fiber
2- getting AT LEAST 8 hours of sleep. that means going to bed pretty earlier some nights even thought my roommates are up watching a movie (I wear earplugs if I have to)
3- Giving myself extra time in the morning. If I have an early morning, I will try and get up 1 and a half to 2 hours before I have to leave for work. Sometimes that means I'm up at 5am or earlier, however, it helps give my stomach time to do its thing.
4- Then, last resort, if it's one of those mornings that things just are not sitting right I'll take an Immodium or two to get me through.

With regards to the anti-depressants, that's a tough call. Although I know you love your boyfriend and I'm sure he has your best interests at heart, don't not take them simply because he doesn't want you to. The girl I dated in highschool had really bad depression, and even though I think I did a pretty good job helping her and dealing with it, I really didn't understand the pain that she was going through.

On side note, and I'm sure I'm starting to sound like BEv (which isn't a bad thing) have you tried the hypnotherapy? I'm about half way through and although I don't find that it will suddenly stop the D, I do find that overall I'm less stressed out about things. You seem to have a lot of stress on your plate right now and it may help you to calm down. One other thing, and I know it's super tough to do. If you don't find you're feeling a whole lot better. Take some time, like a month or two, for yourself. It helped me a lot.

Good Luck,
Jamie

GREAT post, Jamie!! Have we told you lately you're a prince?! -nt- new
      #75981 - 06/03/04 01:53 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I agree, LS. Jamie's post had a lot of good info. Just want to add.... new
      #75995 - 06/03/04 02:10 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Steph,

I think a lot of your D problem has to do with stress. I always freak out when I have to do something new. When do you actually start your new job? The anti-anxiety meds might be something to check into if you have time before you start. A quick working one is Xanax but it would be a good idea to take it for a couple of days before you started working just to make sure it agrees with you. It helpes me through panic attacks but I only take it once in a while....it can be addicting. Ask your doctor what he thinks???

Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you except to eat especially non-triggering foods and try to chill out and take immodium.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 481 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4183

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review