All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For anyone trying to gain weight
      #75253 - 06/01/04 12:20 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ive read TONS of posts from people trying to gain weight (including me) and I was wondering if anyone has had any success??? If so, what are you doing? I recently found that I can eat ducan heines angel food cake as much as I want and I think it may be helping! =) Just curious and would LOVE any advice!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For anyone trying to gain weight new
      #75264 - 06/01/04 12:36 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

ok, well, i have noticed the one thing that has made me gain weight, and quite a bit of it at that is SUGAR. Too bad its the most unhealthy way to gain weight, unfortunately/or fortunately depending on how you look at it...IT WORKS

Anyway, I think your best bet is to up the calories because when people try and diet (low carb, low fat, etc) they always gain it right back. However, cutting calories, like the awesome Fall Sprawl Dieters on the Vegas board are, is for sure the best way to go. Besides, even if you upped your carbs then you won't be getting enough from other food groups, and well, if you upped the fat then you would be just asking for an IBS attack...hmmm

So I would say, if you're feeling better and are up to it, just start upping the calories. Eat small portions every hour or two or so and it'll be easier to tolerate. Hope that helps a little! Oh, and a little sugar won't do you too much harm considering you need to gain so try the IBS yummy yummy staples
Antidepressant Brownies
Rice Krispie Treats

#75281 - 06/01/04 02:35 PM
abby82

Thanks for you reply! I have been trying to up my calories but I still am not getting as many as I should - I just havent found the right high calorie/lowfat food to add in yet. Im definitely going to keep trying though

#75286 - 06/01/04 02:52 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Are you stable yet? I was eating the smallest, teeniest portions when I was really sick. A couple months after I started Heather's diet, my portion size probably quadrupled. I never lost that much weight to begin with, but I was a very skinny, loose-skinned 2 instead of a fit 4. Now I'm a flabby 4, so I guess we get what we ask for! Anyway I think the secret isn't finding some magic food to add in, but just eating more and more of what you've been eating. Remember, too many calories in one sitting can be a trigger for some people, so go easy. I went from not being able to finish one chicken breast to eating soup, a chicken breast, and a whole heaping plate of rice and lentils, and then having to talk myself out of taking more!
I hope that as your stabilize and you and your tummy learn to trust each other again, you will be able to eat more, and more often.
Also, do you eat spicy foods? I love spicy foods, and I eat a ton of it. But, I read recently that people tend to eat smaller portions of spicy food than non-spicy food, because the spiciness satiates the appetite more and also makes it almost uncomfortable to keep eating. That is a good hint for those of us who are trying to eat LESS, but for those of you who are trying to eat more, maybe you should stay away from too much spicy food?
Good luck

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#75302 - 06/01/04 04:09 PM
abby82

I have noticed that I can eat more than what I used to eat everyday and I do think this has helped. I usually eat the same thing everyday so I definitely need to experiment a little also. I eat chicken and mashed potatoes basically every night cause I never want to test something out and be sick that night! Im not a big fan of spicy food and never was so I dont have a problem there. I am going to use your advice and try eating more of what I already eat though - that will probably help a lot - at least until I find more foods! Thank you for your reply - I appreciate it soooo much!

#75303 - 06/01/04 04:14 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I went from 139 lbs to 108 lbs in several months. I was so worried that something was wrong that I weighed myself a hundred times a day to see if I gained anything. The more I worried the more I lost. The doctor told me it was stress and that when I felt good to try and eat as much as I could of baked goods, sweets or anything that would make me gain. I drank milk shakes with yogurt ice cream and Lactaid milk every night. I think that was what helped me start gaining. Once I started gaining a few pounds I didn't worry so much and didn't use the scale so much. I am now at 123 lbs and since that is a good weight for me I will try to stabilize. One good thing, it is fun to eat so much sweet stuff.

Barbie

--------------------

#75312 - 06/01/04 04:51 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Dairy-free mashed potatoes, I hope!!!!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#75335 - 06/01/04 06:07 PM
abby82

Ya - dairy free! I just put salt on them and a tiny bit of rice milk. I could eat them all day long!

#75369 - 06/01/04 08:47 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

Hi Abby,
I'm 5foot 4and 1/2 and weigh in at 104 currently. I'm already small boned so that helps. People at work keep talking about binging and purging and skinny people then they look at me with raised eyebrows!! I'm getting a complex here. I could gain weight if I tried, sometimes I'm just too lazy to cook decent meals is all. But the best way to go about it is NOT JUNK like too many sweets and lot's of bread unless you want to gain body fat and flab. You need to increase your caloric intake by eating another meal in your day of chicken/turkey veggies and sweet potatoes or whatever. Choose lots' of lean protein choices, not that we have a lot of protein choices!! no dairy and such! and also join a gym. Believe it or not cardio will help. 30 min 2-3 times a week. weight training is also great, it makes me STARVING for everything in sight!! IT will increase your appetite tremenduously and also put muscle on your body. Tightening up all that extra flab. Don't we just love that stuff! Also include a dessert and safe healthy treats every day.

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

#75379 - 06/01/04 09:05 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi Abby,

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm always been fairly skinny but since my IBS got worse in the fall I actually lost like 17 lbs. I wasn't impressed.

And, neither was my Mum who is a dietitian. She went through my diet and figured out what I was eating. There are many important aspects to a diet, but the main things are 1- caloric intake and 2- making sure you get all your essential vitamins and minerals etc.

We went through what I eat on average and also how much weight I lost over how many months and figured that to start, I needed on average an extra 122 calories a day. This is just one extra glass of Enriched Soy milk a day.

My situation is slightly unique cause I don't get meals at regular times, but making a conscious effort to gradually up your caloric intake will make a difference, although not right away.

For me, I would like to get back the weight that I lost, but first priority is to get feeling better almost all the time. So far it seems ot be working. I'm hoping to get back to going to the gym, which will hopefully help improve my appetite.

Good Luck,
Jamie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review