#80771 - 06/18/04 09:55 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

To stop diarrhea, other things to try are:
1. Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate
2. The BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast
3. Rest and plenty of liquids

Good luck, Honey, and keep us posted okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New User with Questions--LONG POST! new
      #80787 - 06/18/04 11:27 AM
michele36

Reged: 06/10/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello and Welcome!

I wanted to address the timing of your IBS-D. I never had a sensitive stomach until after the birth of my daughter. Following that, my stomach started acting a little sensitive, but really wasn't too problematic.

However, years later -- following the death of my mother (cancer) and my father (heart attack) who were both very young -- my stomach continued to become more sensitive.

The symptoms progressed until it became more difficult to manage. I am one of the lucky ones (do I dare say this???) who doesn't have frequent attacks (once or twice per month). But, my stomach is always in some kind of turmoil and hurts pretty regularly. When I started to have more frequent attacks I did some research. I consider myself lucky to have found this site. Everyone is so supportive, kind and caring.

I now follow Heather's dietary guidelines as much as possible. That's not to say that I don't slip on occasion, but I am committed. IT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE! I do feel better and I feel a lot more confident that I can manage this and feel better!

With that said. . .I think you should make the commitment to the diet and guidelines offered on the board. If you follow the guidelines, you will FEEL BETTER! This is a phenomenal group of people who have your best interests at heart.

Best of Luck!

--------------------
Be Happy!

Re: IBS-D HELP! new
      #80896 - 06/18/04 04:17 PM
HONEY

Reged: 06/18/04

You are so right. I find I am scared to eat too much and if i don't eat I feel worse. It is comforting to know that there are others that are going through the same thing as me. I am tired of people telling me to get it out of my head. Where do you get this diet? did you buy the book?

#80897 - 06/18/04 04:19 PM
HONEY

Reged: 06/18/04

Thanks LAurasue I am going to give this a shot. Thanks for the advice.

#80902 - 06/18/04 04:28 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Stop eating crackers. They can be causing some problems.
When I get that way, here is what I eat.
White rice, plain cooked pasta, Fresh baked French bread (stay away from packaged breads like Rainbo or Wonder),Plain bagels,Rice chex (no milk),Pretzels, Tons of peppermint tea. When I feel a little better I add Chicken Breast or turkey breast, grilled white fish,White Albacore Tuna.
I also try to de-stress by taking long warm bubble baths and listening to relaxing music.
Try reading the information on this site, it can be incredibly helpful.
Good luck!
Leslie

#80904 - 06/18/04 04:31 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Look to the upper left side of your screen and click on "IBS Diet and recipes"

Re: IBS-D HELP! (AND LAURA SUE) new
      #81199 - 06/20/04 05:47 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I think you are right on the money, Laura Sue. Back in the fall, my IBS D was just like this. I lost about 10 pounds in 4 weeks. I was living off of plain rice, saltines, toast, cream of wheat (if I was really brave). I felt like I should be in a nursing home. I was getting weaker every day. My general md. gave me Levbid (presc.) which helped control it to some extent, but I still took the Immodium when it got too bad. Since then I have seen a GI dr. who changed my med. to Librax (helps the nerves and the tummy). That worked much better, but I still have attacks, and putting weight on for me has been next to impossible. I feel like my diet is for someone trying to lose weight. But when I look back and think about what I was eating in the fall - rice, bread, applesauce, tea, I've come a long way. Hang in there. It takes awhile for your system to start healing once this kicks in. I got a bout of stomach flu in Feb. and lost 5 more pounds with D everyday for two weeks straight. I cried at the GI dr. b/c I was so frustrated. He ran an upper GI test and all came back clear. He was pretty sure it was the flu. Like you, I also had no bacteria that was causing it. I can tell you one thing, and everyone else on this board would agree, the more upset I get over the attacks, the worse they get! I have really tried to calm myself down (although I think I need some help with the stress part), and get through them when they hit. I have had several in the past two weeks just from pure anxiety (and not "bad" stress). I can get excited or anxious about going to a party and BOOM! I get an attack. Try to stay hydrated... that was a big part for me. I drank lots of water and tea (no caffeine). But honestly the presc. med. was necessary for me. Good luck and stay strong. It will get better, but it is a long process.

Edited by hslib (06/20/04 05:49 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3049 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3483

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review