Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!!! I'm a Newbie
      #75025 - 05/31/04 03:45 PM
rachelg

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: Texas,USA

Hi,
I'm Rachel from Texas and I was just diagnosed with IBS May 26,04. I am sure that I have suffered from IBS for quite sometime-I am 50 years old. My significant other-(we will marry in Sept. of this year), is very supportative. We are just trying to "sort" things out.I would appreciate any help and advice. I am going back to my GP doctor this week to see what will be most helpful.I am slowly increasing my fiber intake and love peppermint tea. jack and I are going to enroll in Tai Chi classes this fall,for the exercise and stress mgmt. benefits. Would appreciate any help,advice,and encouragement. Thanks Rachel

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!!! I'm a Newbie new
      #75057 - 05/31/04 05:56 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Rachel! As you may have discovered we have quite a few Texans on the board so you'll be getting a big welcome from them. Your significant other sounds like a gem! Tai Chi sounds like a great idea, especially together.

I highly recommend Heather's books, although most of the most important info is on her website here. Her approach is basically:

1. Avoid the most common triggers (coffee, alcohol, red meat, fried foods) and start a food diary to figure out your own triggers.
2. Make soluble fiber foods the basis of every meal (breads, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc -- she has a list on one of her webpages).
3. Find a soluble fiber supplement that works for you and gradually increase the dosage until you're stable.

See, easy as 123!

The doctor of course will not have learned much of this in med school so bear with him or her. His area of expertise is in prescription medications that help. He'll probably suggest an anti-spasmodic like Bentyl to keep your tummy nice and calm. Heather has a page about IBS meds, plus there was a post just recently to a page at another site summarizing IBS meds. If you do a search at the top of the page, you'll find it.

Anyway, welcome again, from one 50 year old to another!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#75069 - 05/31/04 07:02 PM
rachelg

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: Texas,USA

Dear LauraSue,
Thanks and we are just trying to "sort"all of this MADNESS out together. Jack is truly one of a kind. We will start on Tai Chi this fall after getting married this Sept.Thanks for your encouragement, right now we need all the HELP we can get.Rachel

#75071 - 05/31/04 07:34 PM

Unregistered

Hi Rachel! Welcome to the boards. I know for sure that you will find no other website, doctor, or books with as much IBS information, research and support like Heather VanVorous' website and work.

I'm a south Texan too! Here's the page that has most of the Texans on it. Enjoy and best of luck!

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=74029&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Texas&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=73653&Search=true#Post74029

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 482

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review