All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cooked or raw veggies?
      #74785 - 05/30/04 03:10 PM
trinity85

Reged: 02/06/04

Is it better to eat vegetables cooked or raw? Does it make a difference?
Thanks
~Trinity

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cooked or raw veggies? new
      #74795 - 05/30/04 04:00 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Trinity, cooked veggies are MUCH easier to digest. It makes a huge difference. Chopping them up small also helps, like for vegetable soup.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74811 - 05/30/04 05:43 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

just how bad are raw veggies.. like if you were to have some at a party with dip.. however.. most likely minus the dip due to not enough ibsers in the world that can scarf down ranch dressing.

--------------------

#74815 - 05/30/04 05:57 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Well, it depends. First you MUST have a soluble fiber base. To pursue your example, if there were crackers or baked tostitos at the party, or if you had eaten a couple pieces of bread in the car on the way over, then a FEW raw veggies, chewed VERY WELL, would probably be okay. As long as tummy were already stable. AND if you weren't DRINKING... have I scared you off yet??

I mean, as Heather says, we HAVE to get SOME insoluble fiber, but raw veggies at a party is probably one of the tougher, riskier ways to do it!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74831 - 05/30/04 07:56 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I agree, Ashley, that's pretty risky. I learned the hard way to stick with the crackers at parties and forego the raw veggies. If they're chopped up and they have a soluble fiber base (e.g. in a pasta or potato salad) I do fine with them, but not alone like that. Plus most dips have LOTS of dairy in them and are full of fat anyway.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#74835 - 05/30/04 08:00 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh.. I would definitly stay away from the dips.. but how can you tell if raw veggies actually effect you. I eat them in sandwiches (ie lettuce, onions, green peppers) and it doesn't effect me.. but does that mean that something like a carrot stick or cucumber might. i'm confused.

--------------------

#74838 - 05/30/04 08:03 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

I love raw veg.but my tummy doctor said no-no.an I have to cook them for a long time.I just started eating veg.after
about 8 months.but I was getting very weak from not eating any.
[ Hugs an lots of hugs.} Gerry
PS feeling pretty good tonight.haven,t had a bm in 2 days
but feel good.tomorrow will be another day.even did some cleaning in my house.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

#74843 - 05/30/04 08:09 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

no it means everyone is different.try a little an see how you are.I also eat them in salad but after I eat my other food first.an very little an very small bits.
{Hugs to all } Gerry

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Garden Tomatos and Cucumbers, OH MY!!! new
      #74856 - 05/30/04 08:41 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

This is a difficult time of year for me, the tomatos and cukes right out of moms garden, oooooo I want to eat them sooo bad.

Just cant risk it, I had a small tomato with rice and summer squash yesterday. I really suffered.

#74894 - 05/31/04 06:09 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I can eat a very small salad with grated carrots, cabbage and onions (I rip the cabbage & onions into small pieces) drizzled with just a tad of dressing. I eat this at the end of a meal full of soluble fiber. I have not been brave enough to try veggies and dip. I can eat most cooked veggies, again I eat a soluble fiber base & then eat my cooked veggies. I have to remember not to just start eating the veggies first. I love veggies. I just bought some corn-on-the-cob I am going to try. I am a little anxious. Good luck to you.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Daisy new
      #74899 - 05/31/04 06:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Eat your corn after you've had some SF (your bread, pototoes or whatever) and you should be fine. I still love my corn-on-the-cob! Just eat really slowly and chew every mouthful to a MUSH!

#74908 - 05/31/04 06:57 AM
Kree

Quote:

oh.. I would definitly stay away from the dips.. but how can you tell if raw veggies actually effect you. I eat them in sandwiches (ie lettuce, onions, green peppers) and it doesn't effect me.. but does that mean that something like a carrot stick or cucumber might. i'm confused.

Sorry to confuse you! If you eat them after some soluble fiber, like Laura said, I suppose it shouldn't be much different than having them in your sandwich. It's just that you probably don't have too many veggies in your sandwich, do you? So you probably wouldn't want to munch on too many either, just to be safe. But I'm not a risk-taker by nature so maybe I'm not a good one to advise you!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Daisy new
      #74909 - 05/31/04 06:58 AM
Kree

Quote:

Eat your corn after you've had some SF (your bread, pototoes or whatever) and you should be fine. I still love my corn-on-the-cob! Just eat really slowly and chew every mouthful to a MUSH!

Linz, you can eat corn?? I'm sooo envious. I still can't have corn-on-the-cob, no matter how careful I am. It's just asking for major trouble.

--------------------

Re: Garden Tomatos and Cucumbers, OH MY!!! new
      #74910 - 05/31/04 06:59 AM
Linz

Try cutting the dark green skin of the cukes and eating the insides - it's a LOT safer.

Tomatoes are personal tolerances - I can have the odd slice, but no more.

Thanks Linz nt new
      #74913 - 05/31/04 07:02 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Kree new
      #74919 - 05/31/04 07:10 AM
Linz

well, it's partly mind over matter! I don't indulge often though.

Re: Kree new
      #74938 - 05/31/04 08:09 AM
Kree

Quote:

well, it's partly mind over matter! I don't indulge often though.

Well I'm glad you're able to indulge on occassion, Linz! Maybe I should stop being so uptight and try it sometime, very carefully. I do miss corn an awful lot!

--------------------

Re: Daisy, me too Kree!!! new
      #74953 - 05/31/04 09:39 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I passed up c on the c last night. I wanted it so badly, I did have homemade ice cream though (banana), havent had one cramp. The day is not over though!! gayla

#75082 - 05/31/04 08:22 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

I'm also able to eat raw veggies in sandwiches such as lettuce and tomato, as well as salads made of lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers. But one time I ate a bunch of baby carrots dipped in dressing, and ooooouuch! Also raw cawliflower is bad, which sucks cause I used to love to eat it. So I try to stick with "sandwich veggies" for raw, and have everything else cooked.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review