All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Quitting Smoking
      #7431 - 04/26/03 09:49 AM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

I am going to attempt to quit smoking; I know that a lot of my stomach problems are related to smoking so now is the time. The thing is I have been smoking for so long that I can't imagine not smoking. I think the only way to get through this will be to have emotional support! Has anyone else quite smoking? Did the withdrawals make your IBS worse? Any advice would be great!

Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quitting Smoking new
      #7434 - 04/26/03 10:56 AM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I quit smoking in October of 2002, and I didn't use the patch or anything, I just gradually cut down. I currently live with my mom and stepfather and they don't allow smoking in the house so I had to go outside, and when its in the middle of December or January, it gets really cold. Also I never had time to go out and have a cigarette at work so it got to the point where I would have a cig in the morning, and one 8 hours later after work. I have only had 1 cigarette since then and that was on New Years Eve. Anybody can quit smoking. What I thought would be hard for me is when I went out to the bars/clubs because cigarettes go so well with alcohol, and that was a small problem at first but now I'm used to it and whenever I go into a really smokey bar/club, I want to gag. Me not smoking has not made my IBS worse, but I don't have the severe IBS. Do what you need to do to quit, whether it be the patch, gum or pills. I'm here for you if you need anything.

#7445 - 04/26/03 01:51 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Sarah, I hope you have much success with quiting smoking.I know that smoking can do more damage to your body then you want, and im so happy that you are willing to give it up. Much Support!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7454 - 04/26/03 02:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Sarah! I quit smoking on New Year's 2000, right after I started having IBS symptoms, so I can't tell if it made my symptoms worse or not, since it was about the same time, but I don't think it did. I didn't quit completely, but I knew that when I made the deal with myself. I chose to only smoke if I was out having a couple of drinks, which was only about once a month or so. My theory was it might be easier if I knew that I would eventually be having a cigarette again. Personally, it just made it harder for me, because it wasn't so final. Previous cold turkey attempts I always failed. When I was really craving one, knowing that if I didn't have one now, but I could the next time I had a drink made it easier.

Anyway, gradually it faded, and I haven't had a cigarette in over a year now. Not even if I have a couple of drinks which is VERY rare. Now, I can't even stand going to certain bar/restaurant type places, because not only can I not stand the smell, I can't stand how I smell when I leave! YUCK!!

Anyway, the first week or two was the hardest, then it got much easier after that.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Re: Good on you! new
      #7455 - 04/26/03 02:52 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

IBS or not, it will be the best thing for your body overall.

Good Luck!
Kerrie

P.S I would ask some questions on the HT board about quitting (maybe shawneric) I have a friend who used Ht to quit she said it was great. You could probably get your hands on a CD.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Edited by KinOz (04/26/03 02:53 PM)

#7476 - 04/26/03 05:02 PM
genoac

Reged: 04/26/03

Hey Sarah,
Congrats on quitting smoking. I quit Aug. 10, 1989. Make sure that you realize it feels awful while you quit. But the awfullness only lasts about a week and it's totally worth it! I thought about smoking constantly while I was quitting. I gradually cut down by starting with 20 cigs the 1st day, 19 cigs the next day and so on. It took me 20 days to quit. Since I didn't want to gain weight I put myself on an eating schedule too. And I drank lots of water. I still do, to this day, it's like my cigerette. But it's a healthy way to quit with no annoying gum chewing or food substitutions. I don't recall that my IBS changed for the better or worse during quitting, mainly because of the constant thoughts of smoking. So actually your ibs symptoms may get better while you quit. Also, make sure you reward yourself once a month for a year. I quit on the 10th, so every month after I quit, I would go to a nice restaurant and order the Lobster or other item that I normally
wouldn't get because it's too expensive. I figured I would have spent that money on cigs anyway so that the heck!
Good Luck!

#7480 - 04/26/03 05:34 PM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

Sarah,

You can do it! I quit (for the umteenth time) in 9/00. I smoked for over 20 years. Nicotine is a stimulant, so it kept me regular. But if I smoked to much, it triggered D for me. After I quit, and to this day, I struggle with C (but get D when my period starts - go figure).

When I quit, I used every available resource - smoking cessation classes, support groups, patches, gum, etc. I did whatever it took to get over those things. I finally quit the gum (nicorette) about 2 months ago.

Feel free to email me if you have questions or need support. You can do it!!

--------------------
++++++

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 898

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review