All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Anyone taking Metamucil?
      #74152 - 05/28/04 10:07 AM

Unregistered

I was wondering if anyone was taking it and how they are doing on it? I just tried it right now and am hoping that I don't get sick! The Acacia was not the greatest for me so I thought that I would try something else (plus i'm really poor right now).

As far as I can figure I usually take 3 tablespoons of Acacia a day where the Metimucil looks like I just take the 2 small scoops a day. Thank god I read what Heather wrote about conversion before I drank some! I would have just taken a heaping tablespoon not even thinking about the difference in grams.

Please let me know! Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taking Metamucil? new
      #74156 - 05/28/04 10:11 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I'm probably not the best person to ask... I took Metamucil on and off for years. I was never able to get into the habit of taking it daily because it gave me terrible gas and I HATED the way it thickened in the water. I tried the Metamucil "cookies" or whatever they're called but they also gave me gas and I didn't find them very appetizing!

I'm taking Acacia now and seem to be doing better with that - at least I'm taking it daily and no gas!

Ana

#74159 - 05/28/04 10:17 AM

Unregistered

The very first time I ever tried Metamucil I was sick but I thought that since i've been taking Acacia for months now that it should be better.

With the Acacia now I gag on it when I have to take it and now I have alot of gas with it. It's getting worse.

Thank you so much for telling me how you did on it!

cookies? new
      #74188 - 05/28/04 11:04 AM

Unregistered

What type of cookies? I think i've seen them in the store but haven't got around to actually buying them though. Besides not doing well for you did they taste good?

When I first try new soluable fiber I have gas and have to run to the bathroom often. Same thing happened with Acacia till I could tolerate it but the gas never went away.

Re: cookies? new
      #74193 - 05/28/04 11:10 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

These are them here: Metamucil Cookies

Hope you like them! I thought they tasted kind of - well, greasy almost. Maybe that was the fibre. I was drinking coffee at the time (pre-IBS diet) and I had to literally dunk them into coffee to eat them. Personally I didn't like the taste or the texture.

Maybe you'll have better luck with them though!

Ana

I LOVE Metamucil!!!! new
      #74197 - 05/28/04 11:16 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Robyn, I've been taking Metamucil for about three years now and it is SO great that I'd use a weapon of mass destruction on anyone that got between me and it!!

I started VERY slowly and worked my way up VERY gradually, but now I absolutely can't live without it. I'm on the recommended dose that's printed on the label, one rounded teaspoon in 8 oz of water three times a day. I take it before each meal. But I started with ONLY 1/4 teaspoon every THREE days. There was a little unusual rumbling or bubbling as my system got used to it but nothing bad happened, it just felt different. Now it feels SO NORMAL that I wouldn't give it up for the WORLD!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: I LOVE Metamucil!!!! new
      #74298 - 05/28/04 02:32 PM

Unregistered

Thanks!

I could only find smooth in the orange flavour. How many of the scoop (included) do you take? I had half a scoop earlier just to see and I figured that to get the amount soluable fiber like I had with Acacia I would need only 2 of the scoops maybe 2 1/2 to make the equivalant of 3 tablespoons of Acacia. Do you think that I should slow it down? I thought that I would just have the equivalant because i'm used to having a soluable fiber.

So far i'm having a much better reaction to it that i've been with the Acacia for the last few weeks. I like the taste too!

Thanks so much and let me know more!!!

#74309 - 05/28/04 02:51 PM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

I take clear citrucel, 1 scoop at bedtime.. Easier to take.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#74317 - 05/28/04 03:00 PM

Unregistered

They don't have Citrcel where I live. I had tried all over the place looking for it but no luck!

Re: I LOVE Metamucil!!!! new
      #74326 - 05/28/04 03:09 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Mine didn't come with a scoop. (Pout, pout). You're right, since you're already used to a SFS, you'll probably be fine switching over. As I said, I take the recommended dose which is three rounded teaspoons a day. And yes, I have to admit I like the orange flavor even tho (gasp!) it's got artificial flavor and color. It's especially good mixed with pineapple juice!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review