All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone taking Metamucil?
      #74152 - 05/28/04 10:07 AM

Unregistered

I was wondering if anyone was taking it and how they are doing on it? I just tried it right now and am hoping that I don't get sick! The Acacia was not the greatest for me so I thought that I would try something else (plus i'm really poor right now).

As far as I can figure I usually take 3 tablespoons of Acacia a day where the Metimucil looks like I just take the 2 small scoops a day. Thank god I read what Heather wrote about conversion before I drank some! I would have just taken a heaping tablespoon not even thinking about the difference in grams.

Please let me know! Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taking Metamucil? new
      #74156 - 05/28/04 10:11 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I'm probably not the best person to ask... I took Metamucil on and off for years. I was never able to get into the habit of taking it daily because it gave me terrible gas and I HATED the way it thickened in the water. I tried the Metamucil "cookies" or whatever they're called but they also gave me gas and I didn't find them very appetizing!

I'm taking Acacia now and seem to be doing better with that - at least I'm taking it daily and no gas!

Ana

#74159 - 05/28/04 10:17 AM

Unregistered

The very first time I ever tried Metamucil I was sick but I thought that since i've been taking Acacia for months now that it should be better.

With the Acacia now I gag on it when I have to take it and now I have alot of gas with it. It's getting worse.

Thank you so much for telling me how you did on it!

cookies? new
      #74188 - 05/28/04 11:04 AM

Unregistered

What type of cookies? I think i've seen them in the store but haven't got around to actually buying them though. Besides not doing well for you did they taste good?

When I first try new soluable fiber I have gas and have to run to the bathroom often. Same thing happened with Acacia till I could tolerate it but the gas never went away.

Re: cookies? new
      #74193 - 05/28/04 11:10 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

These are them here: Metamucil Cookies

Hope you like them! I thought they tasted kind of - well, greasy almost. Maybe that was the fibre. I was drinking coffee at the time (pre-IBS diet) and I had to literally dunk them into coffee to eat them. Personally I didn't like the taste or the texture.

Maybe you'll have better luck with them though!

Ana

I LOVE Metamucil!!!! new
      #74197 - 05/28/04 11:16 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Robyn, I've been taking Metamucil for about three years now and it is SO great that I'd use a weapon of mass destruction on anyone that got between me and it!!

I started VERY slowly and worked my way up VERY gradually, but now I absolutely can't live without it. I'm on the recommended dose that's printed on the label, one rounded teaspoon in 8 oz of water three times a day. I take it before each meal. But I started with ONLY 1/4 teaspoon every THREE days. There was a little unusual rumbling or bubbling as my system got used to it but nothing bad happened, it just felt different. Now it feels SO NORMAL that I wouldn't give it up for the WORLD!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: I LOVE Metamucil!!!! new
      #74298 - 05/28/04 02:32 PM

Unregistered

Thanks!

I could only find smooth in the orange flavour. How many of the scoop (included) do you take? I had half a scoop earlier just to see and I figured that to get the amount soluable fiber like I had with Acacia I would need only 2 of the scoops maybe 2 1/2 to make the equivalant of 3 tablespoons of Acacia. Do you think that I should slow it down? I thought that I would just have the equivalant because i'm used to having a soluable fiber.

So far i'm having a much better reaction to it that i've been with the Acacia for the last few weeks. I like the taste too!

Thanks so much and let me know more!!!

#74309 - 05/28/04 02:51 PM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

I take clear citrucel, 1 scoop at bedtime.. Easier to take.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#74317 - 05/28/04 03:00 PM

Unregistered

They don't have Citrcel where I live. I had tried all over the place looking for it but no luck!

Re: I LOVE Metamucil!!!! new
      #74326 - 05/28/04 03:09 PM
LauraSue

Mine didn't come with a scoop. (Pout, pout). You're right, since you're already used to a SFS, you'll probably be fine switching over. As I said, I take the recommended dose which is three rounded teaspoons a day. And yes, I have to admit I like the orange flavor even tho (gasp!) it's got artificial flavor and color. It's especially good mixed with pineapple juice!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

NT -Thanks!- new
      #74334 - 05/28/04 03:28 PM

Unregistered

#74381 - 05/28/04 06:51 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I've recently started taking the Metamucil caplets. BEfore Iwas taking the Prodiem granuals, but they're being discontinued so I'm slowly moving over to the caplets.

Compared to the prodiem, the metamucil caplets seem to bulk things up better, although I have also had a bit more cramps from them, not sure if that's just cause of the switch. I like the convience of the caplets, even though to get the recommended dosgae you have to take 5 of them at a time.

#74482 - 05/29/04 07:05 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I tried them as well and you must find something to dunk them in. It tastes like cardboard...or compressed hay with cinnamon sprinkled on it. YUK....perhaps a better use would be as a snack for a constipated horse!

#74509 - 05/29/04 07:48 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up. I wont buy them but I will tell my roommate who has a horse. LOL.

JBI a question... new
      #74513 - 05/29/04 07:51 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for the info. Did you get a scoop in the big container and how much do you actually use a day?

Re: JBI a question... new
      #74554 - 05/29/04 09:25 AM
JBI

With the metamucil capsuls you don't need a scoop as it's just a pill type thing that you take like a vitamin. The dosage is 5 capsuls up to three times daily, right now I take 5 capsuls once or twice a day and then a spoonful of Prodiem once a day.

With The Prodiem, it didn't come with a scoop. I just try and take a spoonful. I guess I should be a little bit more precise on my measurements but my days and work schedule are always different so I just try and make sure I get roughly the same amount each day.

#74589 - 05/29/04 11:59 AM

Unregistered

So you take up to 15 capsules a day?

I thought that when I don't feel like drinking the mix on day that I could take the pills instead.

LauraSue new
      #74592 - 05/29/04 12:14 PM

Unregistered

I was just wondering if when you take your Metimucal if you let it expand it water first or drink it right away? I was wondering if you drink it right away it expands inside you and causes discomfort?

Or how long you wait after mixing to drink yours?

I even thought of making the orange ones and putting them in ice cube trays to flavour water or like almost a popsicle. Silly but it just tastes so good it's like an orange drink.

Re: LauraSue new
      #74626 - 05/29/04 03:21 PM
LauraSue

No, I drink it right away before it gets goopy. If I were to let it sit and get goopy, I'd never drink it!! I have too strong a gag reflex!!

My goop-advoidance technique is:

Put 8 oz of water in a glass.
Add 1 rounded tsp of Metamucil
Stand at sink and stir vigorously
Drink IMMEDIATELY all in one go.
But don't drain the last little gritty dregs
Have a sip or two of clear water
Wash glass and spoon.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

-nt- Thanks everyone new
      #74640 - 05/29/04 05:01 PM

Unregistered

#74661 - 05/29/04 06:13 PM
JBI

You could take up to 15 a day, I normally don't take that much. It seems like a lot, but it really isn't too bad as you're able to get your water requirement just by taking the pills with as opposed to having to take lots of water too like other suppliments.

#74753 - 05/30/04 09:34 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

You could take up to 15 a day, I normally don't take that much. It seems like a lot, but it really isn't too bad as you're able to get your water requirement just by taking the pills with as opposed to having to take lots of water too like other suppliments.

I just bought the pills, I'm wondering how much did you start off with? I was going to start with taking 2 a day, do you think that's too little?

The thing I hate is I always end up stopping/not taking fiber supplements, cause I always get scared they're going to worsen my symptoms! It would be one thing if I could just sit around all day, but I have a job so can't exactly have an attack at work

--------------------
IBS-C

#74788 - 05/30/04 03:33 PM
JBI

I'm not sure what the best dosage would be to start with. If you're currently taking another fiber suppliment then I'd try to take roughly the same amount of fiber.

If you aren't taking anything, then maybe 2 casels a couple times a day would be a good dosage. When I first started taking them I found my BMs were more solid, but also I has more of them a day and got a little bit of cramping. I haven't had that in the past little while though.

Cookies/Wafers new
      #76954 - 06/07/04 04:27 PM

Unregistered

Okay I may be strange but I like the Metamucil cookies! I bought the cinnamon one.

They don't taste to bad and I just whip one out of my purse when i'm driving around and eat it. My trusty water bottle is always with me and if I order something and take it home I especially eat one on the way homw so the soluable fiber is in my stomach and I can set up for dinner when I get in the door and am ready to go.

I thought they would taste icky but I would eat them anyways cause I want to be prepared when I go away on vacation. I'm starting to have less of my beloved orange mix mind you but it's nice to have options. I haven't tried the pills yet cause they don't have the smooth mix just the regular.

My IBS is so great that i'm thinking bad thoughts about ice cream and cheese products. It's hard not to get carried away and since I was extreme IBS D (the point of not leaving my home) this is incredible.

Thanks to Heather I thought what the hell she got me somewhat stable so i'll try the SFS. Yeah, that was not fun to start with but let me tell you it had beyond payed off.

#172912 - 04/23/05 08:03 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I tried that Metamucil crap. It doesn't work for me. Taking gobs and gobs of Miralax sure helps me, though. I think it works too well, sometimes. It can be annoying.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Lynx new
      #172919 - 04/23/05 08:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do you not take a SFS? They are def. recommended!

YUM!! new
      #172977 - 04/23/05 02:37 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i used to eat those too and loved them!! try the apple ones too--those are good but i agree that cinnamon is the better one!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2473 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review