All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy and its "darker" side
      #73983 - 05/27/04 01:24 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

When I did a google search for soy -(looking because I had come across a soy product that had good probiotic effects) the first things that were listed were very negative articles about the chemicals that are in soy that cause everything from sexual disfunction to cancer. Anyone aware of this? How do you balance your positive/negative information? I'm very cautious about anything I put into my body for obvious reasons and am in the process of researching the benefits of a probiotic supplement. So far, I have been greatly helped by the acacia, peppermint, and even a low supplement dose of calcium/magnesium. However, I seem to be missing the mark somewhere and this is where my research led me. Anyone else aware of this?

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy and its "darker" side new
      #73990 - 05/27/04 01:34 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Wierd. I've never heard that. Do you have a link?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#73994 - 05/27/04 01:42 PM
bamagirl

www.mercola.com/article/soy, and www.coconutoil.com are a couple that came up when I placed the word soy in the google search. I'm interested to know what's going on. Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#74000 - 05/27/04 01:53 PM
bamagirl

http://www.soyinfo.com/ also lists some information in a reaction to some of the negative comments. Seemed very honest and helpful. Still seems to be some concern though. Might be good information to be aware of since we IBS types consume a lot of it.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#74002 - 05/27/04 01:57 PM
LauraSue

Okay, yeah I remember seeing that first site before when I was doing research and immediately dismissing him as a crank. He's trying to sell you his own book and foods based on bad and misleading science.

The second site is again trying to sell you on coconut oil and several of the studies they cite are actually about animal feed rather than human nutrition.

All mainstream sources and most alternative medicine sources say nothing but good things about soy. I wouldn't worry.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks Laura Sue new
      #74003 - 05/27/04 01:59 PM
bamagirl

The third site I found gave very real and helpful information on the processes used to manufacture and what was healthy vs. harmful. That seemed the most realistic. Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#74005 - 05/27/04 02:12 PM
LauraSue

Yes a more balanced view but still pretty extreme. Here's what the American Dietetic Association says:

The Best Sources of Soy

May 13, 2004
Soybeans and soy products may contain phytonutrients that promote heart health. Soy protein and isoflavones are well-known for their ability to help lower total cholesterol and LDLs. In fact, research indicates that 25 grams of soy protein per day can help reduce the risk of heart disease.

Soy foods include soybeans, tofu, soymilk, tempeh and the isolated soy protein that is added to other foods or used in the preparation of baked goods. Good sources of soy protein include soy nuts, soy flour, energy bars, tofu, tempeh and soy milk.

ADA on soy

And here's another link from the soy industry website, who are obviously trying to sell you on soybeans!

soy growers website

But ultimately you have to decide for yourself by weighing and balancing the information, considering the sources and trusting your instincts.

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74035 - 05/27/04 05:31 PM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

Here is another link
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/soytox.htm

My understanding is that in case of soy beans, enzyme inhibitors (particularly protease inhibitors) and other toxins cannot be reduced or eliminated by heating or by soaking. (Many nuts, grains and lugumes have enzyme inhibitors also but you can reduce the amount of the toxins by soaking and then boiling, which makes the food much more digestable and therefore better for your health. If I remember correctly, rice is one of the grains that does not require any soaking-no enzyme inhibitors there.)

Anyway, if you look at history of soy usage around the world, soy has been used in some people's diets for many hundreds of years, but the beans have been almost always *fermented* before being consumed, in case of tempeh, soy sauce, miso, natto, etc. (As far as tofu is concerned, one of the last steps of separating the curd from whey, I think, greatly reduces the amount of toxins inherent in soy beans.)

So personally, I don't eat soy in its purest form much in forms of milk or in forms of dry nuts, etc. (I won't refuse to eat it if someone offered me some though. I occasionally eat black soy beans, but only very occasionally.) I would probably refuse to take soy supplements or drink soy protein drinks that have some compounds extracted from soy beans in one form or another.

I have total respect for modern science and all that, but I also see the wisdom of the traditional diets...

There must be a reason why people used to always eat soy beans fermented in some ways to consume.

Don't you think?

#74059 - 05/27/04 07:26 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

One article that I read in a newspaper said that in extremely high doses, WAY more than anybody would regularily consume, soy increased the amount of estrogen in men and even lead to minor breast growth.

Re: Thanks Laura Sue new
      #74068 - 05/27/04 08:27 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Thanks for the research Laura Sue, I have to have my Silk for my Bev's Banana Frosties!!!!! I shudder to think how terrible it would be not being able to partake!!!!! gayla

Thanks for all of the great information and thoughts! new
      #74092 - 05/28/04 05:56 AM
bamagirl

I am still going to do some more reading on this as it seems to be such a huge part of the IBS world. I know I'm in for a lifetime of watching my diet and especially as it relates to my tummy. Right now, I am able to eat a wide variety of things, so soy is not that vital to me personally. I think I will look elsewhere for a probiotic source though. Thanks again for your thoughts and information! This site is the BEST!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Cool! You're Welcome! -nt- new
      #74134 - 05/28/04 09:15 AM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74179 - 05/28/04 10:52 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

tomoko,

I happen to agree with you, but you and I are in the minority here. The majority of those on this board LOVE their soy and wouldn't give it up for the world. I can't touch it because of thyroid disease.

Here is an OLD thread I started some 6 months ago. As you can see it's long and got many comments.
web page

Kandee

--------------------

#74199 - 05/28/04 11:18 AM
LauraSue

That's really interesting, Kandee. I had no idea. Live and learn as they say.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Kandee - Thanks for the great references! new
      #74248 - 05/28/04 12:23 PM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

Hi Kandee,

Thank you sooo much for the link to the posts/discussions from a few months ago. It is a very good read - very informative. I can tell that you have done a lot of research on this.

I think as more and more people understand the pros and cons of use of soy, we can all make better choices for ourselves.

Knowledge is Power!

Thanks again,

Tomo

Thanks and double thanks! new
      #74261 - 05/28/04 12:45 PM
bamagirl

I agree! Knowledge is our best link to making informed decisions, and we should all strive to do that where our health is concerned! This is one reason I LOVE this site! So much really good information from folks who are trying to protect their health!! Thanks again!! WOW!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review