All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
caltrate colon health
      #73127 - 05/25/04 05:48 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I just bought this yesterday to try out the whole calcium thing.. has anyone heard of it or tried it?!?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

hello anyone??? anyone??? new
      #73300 - 05/25/04 12:47 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

Re: hello anyone??? anyone??? new
      #73320 - 05/25/04 01:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

yes it is calcium.. it says to take two a day, but I'm going to only take one because my regular multivitamin has calcuim in it already.

--------------------

Re: hello anyone??? anyone??? new
      #73339 - 05/25/04 01:49 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I have been wondering about this also - let me know how it goes if you take it! It seems like it should be good because I read in Heathers book once to take Caltrate so Caltrate Colon Health sounds even better! This is just a guess though.

Re: caltrate colon health new
      #73341 - 05/25/04 01:57 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I went to http://www.caltrate.com to check it out, and it just looks like it's a big dose of calcium, which is apparently supposed to help prevent colon cancer.

I don't think it would be any better than any other calcium supplement. Now why the heck doesn't Caltrate have a supplement with enough magnesium in it for us C folks? I'm like a walking ad for osteoporosis, but if I have calcium without magnesium, I get industrial-strength C....

--AC (fighting off her geekish tendencies to use Ca and Mg as abbreviations here...)

#73386 - 05/25/04 03:46 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I'm not sure.. I'm ibs d so I'm hoping it helps me out a little in hardening my stools. It looked fairly similar to other calcuim supplements, but I figured I'd buy this cause what harm could it do, considering I have bowel problems and I had a one dollar off coupon. I'll let you know how it goes.

--------------------

#73406 - 05/25/04 04:51 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

hmm I just looked at the website and it said its to prohibit recurring polyps. Well I don't have any of those, I bought it strictly for the calcuim. Do you think its still safe to take?

--------------------

#73528 - 05/26/04 07:46 AM
AstroChick

It's just repackaging the same ol' Calcium in an attempt to sell more units. So long as you're not totally OD'ing on the calcium, you'll be fine.

--AC, cynical after years working in advertising

Ca and Mg for us IBS-C's new
      #73531 - 05/26/04 08:07 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Hey! I was just curious how long you have used a Ca/Mg supplement and what benefits or any detriments you have noticed for your IBS-C. I am in the 4th week of using a liquid supplement with a 2:1 ratio and I feel a lot better. Just curious about your experience.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#73562 - 05/26/04 09:26 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

hi everone. i take the purple caltrate pill every day. is the pink pill better? also how many caltrate pill each day does everyone take? jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#73563 - 05/26/04 09:27 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

I've been taking this for awhile. My GI doctor was really happy that I decided to start taking the Calcium pills. These are probably the only vitamins I have taken that didn't give me any problems.

--------------------
Janice B

#73565 - 05/26/04 09:30 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

I take 1 pill after breakfast then the 2nd after dinner and that's equivalent to 1200mg of calcium for the day.

--------------------
Janice B

Re: Ca and Mg for us IBS-C's new
      #73932 - 05/27/04 11:05 AM
AstroChick

I started getting more Mg in my diet several years ago (pre-Heather). It did help a bit with my C, but it wasn't dramatic or anything.

However, if I end up in a situation now and have a lot of Ca (like a few antacids when I'm nauseated) without balancing it out with Mg...boy, oh, boy, I get tossed in C jail!

More and more, I use my Ca/Mg supplement as an antacid, and stay far away from Tums. I used to be a Tums addict, too, since my IBS often led to nausea and I have osteoporosis in the family. Go figure....

--AC

#74025 - 05/27/04 04:56 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

"and stay far away from Tums. I used to be a Tums addict, too, since my IBS often led to nausea and I have osteoporosis in the family. Go figure...."

A lot of people think the antacid in Tums makes the calcium hard to absorb in your body... as it needs acid to break down ---- it also needs other minerals to be absorbed. Tums is not a very good source for people trying to supplement their calcium level.

#74180 - 05/28/04 10:55 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Do you add Mg into your diet by taking Mg pills? Is there such a thing or are they always sold as Mg and Ca?

You said you didn't notice a big difference when you incorporated more Mg into your diet but you do take it when you've had a lot of Ca and it helps. Do you mean it helps you from becoming C???? If so, would it be a good "preventative" for C??? Do you think taking a Ms supplement daily would help prevent C???

Thanks.
Ana

#74346 - 05/28/04 03:58 PM
AstroChick

Quote:

Do you add Mg into your diet by taking Mg pills? Is there such a thing or are they always sold as Mg and Ca?

You said you didn't notice a big difference when you incorporated more Mg into your diet but you do take it when you've had a lot of Ca and it helps.

I take a Ca/Mg supplement called CalSnack daily. Back before I had heard of Heather's diet, I continued eating Tums (eek!) and started taking a Mg supplement called, I think, "Slow Mag". It helped in that my C got a tiny bit better, but didn't do anything for the sudden D attacks that I tend to get in the spring.

Here's what a search for "magnesium" at drugstore.com returns: all sorts of Mg pills . So there's definitely a lot of options!

I think my experience with IBS is that there is no one thing that you can do to cure it. I need to balance my Ca and Mg, get soluble fiber at every meal, drink lots of herbal teas, avoid fats, and manage my stress. Just doing one thing doesn't do as much as working on everything. If I'm stable, I can start slacking off on some of these things (chocolate chocolate-chip ice cream! Ca without any Mg! ), but I feel the best when I do everything. It's frustrating at times, but I feel better now than I ever have before. And heck, I like bread and I like yoga, so I can't really complain too much...

--AC

Well said! new
      #74368 - 05/28/04 05:44 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I think it is wise for all of us to realize this is not a quick-fix situation, and that we each have to learn to know our bodies (triggers, ect...) and how best to deal with our IBS. You can gain a lot of wisdom and support here, but if you think you can pop a pill or take supplement and then go out and eat and drink whatever you want in any amount you want, boy are you in for an unhappy, miserable time of it! Well said Astrochick!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Thanks for all that info! new
      #74722 - 05/30/04 05:41 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I think every little bit can help. The diet/lifestyle change, the SFS, drinking tons of water and herbal teas...dealing with stress...

I was thinking if I could add one more little helper to my IBS "bag of tricks" that would be great!

Ana

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review