Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Reflux question... Very confused!!
      #72619 - 05/23/04 12:53 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi,
As I posted a while ago, I have been having problems with my throat and my doctor said he thought it was reflux. He didn't give me any tests or anything (well, he looked down my throat while I said 'ahh') but he gave me a prescription for some tablets. I take 2 a day, one in the morning and one at night.
Trouble is, I haven't seen any improvement in my throat _at all_. I still always feel like something is stuck in there, or like it's swollen or something... It just comes all of a sudden, doesn't matter if I just ate or if I haven't had anything to eat for hours and hours. It doesn't matter if I'm at work where it's really smokey, or at home in the livingroom, or walking outside.. it just comes. When it comes, I also have trouble catching my breath. I've never had asthma or anything so I don't know what it feels like, but I can't take full breaths and, once again, it feels like something is stopping it.
The other thing is, one day I forgot to take the pill at nighttime and the next morning I was really feeling that burny feeling in my throat and chest.. I get heartburn once and a while, but it seems worse. Have I made it into reflux by taking these pills?? What if it's something else?? And more importantly, what else could I be 'cause I really am not enjoying this at all.
Any help is appreciated!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't think new
      #72622 - 05/23/04 01:07 PM
Ashley

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Maryland, USA

breathing difficulties is a symptom of reflux. The rest of your symptoms sound like reflux to me but your having trouble breathing at times points to something else. You should go back to both your regular doctor and gastroentrologist and let them know about these things. Is it possible trouble breathing might be a side effect of the medicine your doctor prescribed? Hope you feel better soon

sis has same symptoms! new
      #72652 - 05/23/04 03:23 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

Hey, my sister is actually having the whole throat thing too. She says it feels like something is stuck in there and she's constantly feeling like she has to clear her throat but it doesn't make it feel better. She also has this heavy feeling on her chest and a couple times has felt like she can't catch her breath. She went to our family doctor a couple weeks ago and he sent her to go get allergy tests done (which she is allergic to grasses and outdoor stuff) and got a puffer but doesn't feel like its making any difference. She's not having any burning but i found your post really interesting since she can't figure out what it is either. I really don't think she explained her symptoms to the doctor very well when she went before and so she's going to go back and really lay out all her symptoms to him but he's been away on vacation so she can't get in till like June 22 or something. Also she doesn't have IBS if that makes any difference. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and if any meds help for this!! It's really been bothering her. THanks so much!
Jules

Re: Reflux question... Very confused!! new
      #72675 - 05/23/04 04:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

What meds has the doc put you on? I get the "something stuck in my throat feeling" with my reflux/GERDs, but that's under control now - my GI had me on Lansoprazole for quite a while.

Meds for Linz new
      #72954 - 05/24/04 03:05 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi,
My doctor put me on Ranitidine.
Do you ever get the feeling where you can't catch your breath? That's the one that makes me worry the most.. although the swallowing bit is annoying too!
This sucks...
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#72957 - 05/24/04 03:11 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I've been known to have problems with acid and the burning can get quite painful and it makes me burp like nobody's business, but shortness of breath is a different symptom. How long has this been going on? Is it possibly connected to pollen alergies of some kind? Just something to think about.

Meds for Steph new
      #72965 - 05/24/04 03:42 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Steph,
I have GERD (have had it suspected for a long time but only recently "officially" diagnosed) and was on Ranitidine for years. I didn't cut it for me and they switched me to Nexium which works great!

Also, I don't know if you're aware, but GERD can actually cause adult asthma, or aggravate asthma that's already present which can definately be why you're having trouble catching your breath. Might be worth mentioning to the doc. I've started the Nexium and was giving a low dose inhaler and I feel much better, less chest pain, tightness and breathing problems!

Kelly

Re: Meds for Linz new
      #72967 - 05/24/04 03:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah it sucks. I'm getting reflux atm cos I'm on nights - for some reason they always trigger it off (I'm fine for the rest of the time).

How long have you been on the meds? I was on Lansoprazole for a while before it really worked and then I had to stay on it for ages to make sure it didn't just come back as soon as I stopped taking the tablets.

I haven't heard of Ranitidine, but if you don't feel it's helping, ask for Lansoprazole. It's supposed to be as good as it gets.

#73121 - 05/25/04 04:39 AM
Dolphin

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: NY, USA

I have had GERD for 2 years now. My symptoms started just like yours: Lump in throat, burning, trouble taking breaths, etc... I was put on Nexium and it didn't kick in until about 2 months after I started it. And now it works GREAT!!! I take it when I wake up and wait at least an hour before I eat. I will have problems if I eat things I shouldn't so I definitely have to stay away from certain foods like chocolate, spices, sauce, etc... Oh, one of my symptoms was that I felt like my throat was closing up on me....I blamed my seasonal allergies for that. Turns out it was my reflux before I got it under control. I hope you start feeling better soon. If not, maybe you should switch medications.

#73124 - 05/25/04 05:21 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

This might be in no way related, but before I was diagnosed with having an underactive thyriod I always had swollen glands, acid throat and a feeling that someone was sitting on my chest so that I couldn't breathe properly. I also found it difficult to swallow and felt like I was about to swallow my own tongue. My doctor initially tried to persuade me that I had asthma!Now I'm on the right medication thats all gone thank goodness - just the IBS to worry about (which of course, according to the doctors is not at all linked ... hmmm).

Hope you get it sorted.

Catherine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2635 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2040

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review