All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SO FRUSTRATED!!!!
      #72516 - 05/22/04 08:45 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

I work nights and I had a TERRIBLE attack at work tonight! I thought I was going to die or pass out! I had D so bad! Thank God I had my Levsin with me and a warm patch for my belly. I couldn't leave work! The only thing that gave me some comfort was that I work in a hospital on the maternity ward and I figured maybe they could give me an epidural so I'd be numb!!!!!!! Just kidding! But anyway that is how bad it was! I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. I'm getting discouraged it seems like no matter what I do it doesn't work. I just feel like eating anyrhing I want sometimes because it seems like no matter what it is sometimes it doesn't work. I only take 1 Fibercon tablet a day should I increase? Also I started on 25mg of Zoloft 6 days ago and D is a side effect maybe that's what caused the attack? Somebody HELP!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SO FRUSTRATED!!!! new
      #72526 - 05/22/04 10:13 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

You may need a stronger FBS than tablets. I have read many posts regarding tablets vs. powders. People rave about Heathers Acacia and many have success with Benefiber. Read your labels you are suppossed to gradually increase your dosage to a certain point, that of which I am not sure. You could do a search.

The zoloft could very well be your culprit. All meds effect everyone differently as you know. You can go to WebMD and read the side effects of many anti's, most of them do say that you could have either D or C. Trying something different may be all you have to do. Call your doc Monday, let them know, there are so many anti's to choose from. They all C me.

Hope you get better soon.

#72535 - 05/22/04 11:36 PM
Bunkee

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Aiken, SC

Catzlady4 I feel your pain. Your statement:
Quote:

I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. I'm getting discouraged it seems like no matter what I do it doesn't work. I just feel like eating anything I want sometimes because it seems like no matter what it is sometimes it doesn't work.

is how I feel many times. I ate what I thought was OK today. For dinner we went out. I ate the bread before my meal came and had chicken and rice as my main course and have been suffering for hours with gas. I work shift work and the other night I was grateful I have an office I can go to in order to be by myself from time to time. As a matter of fact, my relief came in and said 'what's the door and windows doing open?' I just said I needed some fresh air (hehe…..if only they knew!) Here it is 2:00 in the morning and I still have miserable gas.

Hang in there. It's gotta get better. Here are some flowers that will hopefully brighten your day.

#72548 - 05/23/04 05:13 AM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

I've noticed a lot more help from powders and use both Benefibr and Heather's Accaccia. Have you tried hot tea to help soothe your system? Have you gotten stable? Eating 'safe foods' only for a while will really calm and stabilzie!.

I know excatly what you mean about eating whatever, since everything seems to cause an attack. However, I'm a C and it's a little different from the D reactions. A few times I left work due to stomach cramps that had me doubled over for over an hour with nausea and sweats. No D until 3 hours later and very powerful, after a painful normal BM!!! Then continued cramping the rest of the day and night. Those days are over, though, because I'm eating correctly now.

Hang in there, it'll get better!

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

#72551 - 05/23/04 05:32 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm so sorry - I understand your frustration. It could be anything - the Zoloft, something you ate, none of the above - it's a guessing game. Have you been on the fibercon for a while? Check to see if it has psyllium in it. If it does, it can cause D attacks. Equalactin and Acacia don't have psyllium.
It could be the start of the meds as your body is trying to adjust.
Do you use imodium at all? For a severe attack at work, that's what I took. It doesn't work immediately, but it will help get you through the rest of the shift.
Are you drinking any herbal teas? Peppermint is my wonder drug. It will actually stop an attack in progress for me. Seriously.
I hope this helps. If it doesn't, I'm adding a huge gigantic enormous -----------HUG------------------.
Feel better sweetie.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#72564 - 05/23/04 07:19 AM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

Thanks so much guys! It really helps to know that I have someone to vent to. You're all so great!! I'm going to work again tonight and I'm praying that I do ok. I just took a Levsin and Fibercon so hopefully that will help. I can't down the peppermint tea it tastes terrible to me. I'm sure it helps but I just can't do it. I'm afraid to take Imodium because it makes me cramp up more Does this happen to any one else?? Anyway thanks so much again for all of your support I really appreciate it!

#72765 - 05/23/04 08:23 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I hope you feel better soon. Because I am a D and I take an antidep, it HAS to be a tricyclic. Tricyclic antis are also anticholinergenic (sp?). In other words, they slow down movements of your colon. My doctor was very adament about NOT putting me on an SSRI (zoloft for example) because diarrhea is a side effect. Maybe you could ask your doctor to switch you to a tricyclic antidep?

--------------------
Dana

Tea Suggestion new
      #72781 - 05/23/04 09:49 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!
Sorry to hear that you've been feeling so lousy I was reading your post and noticed that you said you didn't like the taste of peppermint tea, so I wanted to make a tea suggestion for something that might help you.

I've had great success with a tea called Eater's Digest (funny eh?) which has peppermint in it but it also has ginger and fennel and some other ingredients. Now, I don't mind the taste of peppermint tea, but this is something that is a little less strong and I personally found a little more sweet. Plus, it's got a lot of great things to help your tummy

I'll include a link to their website, maybe it's something you could try: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/teas_us.html

Hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1400

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review