All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
D attack! Why?
      #72302 - 05/21/04 06:20 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I'm so pissed, I'm having a D attack but I'm an IBS-C! I'm wondering what you guys think it may be from. There are a few culprits, perhaps it's everything combined. Today I ate homemade pancakes(shouldn't be a problem), 3 homemade peanutbutter cookes- started getting some pains shortly after eating these..but they are only made of peanutbutter, maple syrup, and flour I eat pb all the time and it's fine. Dinner was a veggieburger and rice which had beans in it..I know beans could be a trigger, but I had small amounts of this yesterday and the day before and was ok. I figured I can eat beans in soup and eat them mushed, these beans in the rice were whole but mushy. I'm also wondering if it could be cause I just started taking 2 Slippery Elm pills a day to help with the C. Do you think that could cause D? Also, I'm on Zelnorm but recently cut back to 1 pill a day due to weight gain, do you think that could have done anything, and do you think since I had D, should I not be on the Zelnorm? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just upset cause I was going to go out tonight, and I had to ditch my friend cause of this

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: D attack! Why? new
      #72307 - 05/21/04 07:34 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Sorry you're not feelin well:( Certain kinds of veggie burgers have way too much fiber for my stomach to handle, and the beans on top of that may have made it worse. Too much fiber will cause D in anybody. Hope u feel better soon!

#72321 - 05/21/04 08:57 PM
fishnets

Quote:

Sorry you're not feelin well:( Certain kinds of veggie burgers have way too much fiber for my stomach to handle, and the beans on top of that may have made it worse. Too much fiber will cause D in anybody. Hope u feel better soon!

Thanks! It was just a Morningstar burger though, I have those all the time and I'm fine with them. Maybe it was the beans.

--------------------
IBS-C

#72328 - 05/22/04 12:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I don't know for sure, but I think you're not allowed to be on Zelnorm if you're IBS-A, which it sounds like you're becoming. Maybe give your doc a call or at least read the info with the pills?

It was probably everything at once, but I'd take it easy on the Slippery Elm and up your SFS instead.

#72376 - 05/22/04 08:12 AM
ArynMagoo

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: California

this is probably a stupid question but what is ibs-a?

IBS-A new
      #72378 - 05/22/04 08:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Alternating. We lucky people go from C to D and sometimes VERY quickly.

#72392 - 05/22/04 10:22 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Quote:

I'm so pissed, I'm having a D attack but I'm an IBS-C! I'm wondering what you guys think it may be from. There are a few culprits, perhaps it's everything combined. Today I ate homemade pancakes(shouldn't be a problem), 3 homemade peanutbutter cookes- started getting some pains shortly after eating these..but they are only made of peanutbutter, maple syrup, and flour I eat pb all the time and it's fine. Dinner was a veggieburger and rice which had beans in it..I know beans could be a trigger, but I had small amounts of this yesterday and the day before and was ok. I figured I can eat beans in soup and eat them mushed, these beans in the rice were whole but mushy. I'm also wondering if it could be cause I just started taking 2 Slippery Elm pills a day to help with the C. Do you think that could cause D? Also, I'm on Zelnorm but recently cut back to 1 pill a day due to weight gain, do you think that could have done anything, and do you think since I had D, should I not be on the Zelnorm? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just upset cause I was going to go out tonight, and I had to ditch my friend cause of this

it's probably a combination of all of the above. you had beans 3 days in a row, which i certainly can't do. i can do it one day, i can even do it the second, but learned the hard way that 3 days is a deal breaker, mushy beans or not. so you could have had a bean build-up.

also, peanut butter seems to be a trigger for some people here on the boards. often because it's fairly fatty. i know you say you have them all of the time, too, but if you're on your way to an attack from the cummulative effect of beans and slippery elm, the peanut butter just could have been the straw that broke the colon's back.

i'm not sure what effect slippery elm has, but if you adjusted your Zelnorm dose and added this supplement and had beans 3 days in a row and had the peanut butter.... well, you could just have piled on too much!

also, i know where i am, it's starting to get quite hot outside. that can add to the pile of triggers, too, if it's getting hot where you are...?

as for the Zelnorm with the D, i would call your doc on Monday and aske her/him. i know it's not supposed to be used with diarrhea patients, but i don't know if only one episode of D counts....?

sorry about your plans. that bites. hope you feel better soon!

--------------------

#72417 - 05/22/04 11:04 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Quote:

but I had small amounts of this yesterday and the day before and was ok.

Sometimes I've found that i'm lucky one day, but then if i try something multiple days, then ...uh-oh, no luck. That may be a problem. I mean, considering the beans and the veggie burger (most that don't contain cheese contain bulgar wheat) and the peanut butter, I would've been in the bathroom all day long. Or, it could've just been random. Hope you feel better! Hugs!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Re: IBS-A new
      #72427 - 05/22/04 11:55 AM
Valerie3kids

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Florida

UGH I hadn't heard of that. Nothing like getting the best of both worlds. That must be a little like staying on a roller coaster.

Valerie

#72478 - 05/22/04 06:15 PM
fishnets

Yeah, so far today I haven't taken any slippery elm, and tried to eat reasonably safe (except went to a b-day party and HAD to have cake of course!). My tummy felt very sensetive still but as the day went on I felt better. I think tonight I'll add back the slippery elm again and see what happens And no more whole beans for me, at least not any time soon!! I'm going to hold off on calling my doctor, cause if it ends up being just one episode then it won't really matter, but if this starts happening more I'll definately need to quite the Zelnorm.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2715 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review