All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When to take fiber & meds
      #7212 - 04/25/03 08:34 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I read that if you're taking meds or vitamins, you shouldn't take them within 2 hours of taking your fiber supplement. Some of you sound like you're taking fiber much more often than me. How do you fit both in your schedule without having the meds just flush out? I get so distracted in my day and at the end I realize I've always forgotten to take something.

sperry_twiggins

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When to take fiber & meds new
      #7265 - 04/25/03 10:25 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Sperry Twiggins - my motto is "rules were meant to be broken"! I never heard of the 2 hour rule and I take my meds, supplements and soluble fiber all at the same time. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong! Any comments from the peanut gallery, please???

I have am pills that I take w/breakfast, noon pills that I take with lunch and dinner pills that I take with dinner. That includes fiber sup, vitamins and prescription meds. I ALWAYS take them w/food...ever since my bad experience many moons ago with niacin flush. Don't even wanna think about that! LOL

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7267 - 04/25/03 10:27 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

There is a rule that if you take anti-diarreah medicine around the same time you take other meds that are for that same purpose their effects may lessen. That is all I have heard from all the research I have done on all the different IBS meds out there. It is good not to take them directly after the prescribed meds, maybe 30 mins to an hour, but that is basically all I've heard. I take Librax and Bentyl for my IBSD.

#7274 - 04/25/03 10:35 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

On my Fiber Con bottle is says that you have to take them 2 hours after or before your meds becasue thy will alter the way your meds work. I found out the hard way that this is true!!! I had a horrible atack that lasted for a couple of days, needless to say it was not pretty!!

#7289 - 04/25/03 11:35 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've heard of the rule but I don't follow it. Before bed--around midnight--I take my Depakote, 2 fiber pills (generic Fibercon), zinc ('cause the Depakote makes my hair fall out--though it seems to be getting better! Yay!), and my birth control pill. The fiber pills don't seem to be messing up anything else, and the doc hasn't said anything....

Has this happened to you? new
      #7290 - 04/25/03 11:36 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

Hi all,
Before I was diagnosed my face had dry patches of skin, but as long as I moisturized it was under control. Ever since I started my meds it has gotten worse and when I put on make up it looks flaky. Has this happened to you and if so do you have any remedies??

Yolie

#7303 - 04/25/03 12:46 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

KyAngel,
I know for a fact that you arnt supposed to take any kind of antacid before or after you take an antispasmotic. My pharmasist said take an antacid at least 2 hours before or after you take levsin/betyl, ect. I take antacids daily for the calcium (constipating effect)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2495 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1756

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review