Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Do You Get Enough Sleep??!! Yeah, YOU!! new
      #72101 - 05/21/04 06:52 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hey Laura Sue!

Nice to know we have someone looking out for our health. See, this is why I need a girlfriend . However, I do know that not getting enough sleep is one of my main triggers. In my old position I was on call and would often get paged at stupid o'clock am after I had only been sleeping for a couple hours. This would wreak havoc on my system. Now my number one concern is to make sure I get as close to 8 hours of sleep or more as I can. Unfortunately I still have the occasional morning where I have to wake up at 430am and getting to sleep at 830pm is just super tough.

I'm not going to start taking them, but just out of curiousity, has anybody taken sleeping pills? How quick do they put you to sleep and how well do you function the next day?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#72102 - 05/21/04 06:54 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Sleep...with a husband in grad school coming home in the middle of the night...reading in bed...NOT!! Thanks for pointing this out though. I know it is true. I am much more stable on the weekend when I am relaxed and rested. We IBSer's are just stress management experts in disguise!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#72109 - 05/21/04 07:08 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I take Benadryl (OTC antihistamine) 30 minutes before bedtime and it really makes me drowsy and I sleep pretty good. Although, sometimes I wake up about 5PM and can't go back to sleep. My husband takes Melatonin (herbal) and it helps him.

Barbie

--------------------

#72199 - 05/21/04 10:26 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'm in law school; we're not allowed to sleep.
I am FINALLY done with finals, though, so I can look forward to lots of zzz's. I went to my parents' house for a few days this week and did lots of sleeping. Now I am back in the city and doing some late-night partying, but I get to sleep late in the mornings so it's not too big a deal. I doubt I'll sleep much during my 8 weeks in London this summer -- the boyf lives there and we NEVER get to see each other, so we might have to stay up all night talking
Really though, I'll have my own place so I should be able to sleep at least during the week. Unfortunately I will be living in a dorm for the first time in a couple of years, so I don't know how I'll react to that -- especially the part about the one common bathroom for the whole floor ..

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#72209 - 05/21/04 10:47 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I could get 5 hours of sleep or 12 hours of sleep and I'd still be able to pass out anywhere in 15 minutes!!

Is that really bad??

#72241 - 05/21/04 12:02 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Ah, I'm not a doctor, but if that's really true, then I'd say you are getting what's called non-restorative sleep. You might want to do some research online about common sleep disorders to see if anything rings a bell.

Or it could just be that your sleep deficit is so great that one night of 12 hours isn't enough to catch up. Maybe if you got 10 hours a night reliably for a week or two, you'd pass the test!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#72243 - 05/21/04 12:05 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Jamie, I haven't taken any of the actual prescription sleeping pills, but what they prescribe for fibro patients is a low dose of Elavil or other tricyclic antidepressants combined with over the counter sleep aids such as Sominex or the antihistamine Benadryl (same active ingredient).

Some of the newer sleeping pills are apparently quite good from what I've read but are not necessarily for long term use.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#72300 - 05/21/04 05:57 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Quote:

stupid o'clock am

i'm up at that time, almost every night!

as for sleeping pills, i wish i had some. i'm on low-dose tricyclic antidepressants to encourage deep sleep, but i'm not sure they're working that great. i mean, i think i'm sleeping, but i spend a lot of time in a shaky dream state. hard to describe.... anyway, i want to look into Ambien and Sonota- they're not supposed to be habit-forming, depending on what account you read.

--------------------

Shaky dreams new
      #72334 - 05/22/04 01:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh, I get that too and I HATE it. It's worse than not being able to sleep at all I think.

Have you tried warm soy milk to make you sleepy? I couldn't drop off last night (achy hips, twitchy legs!) and had some and then slept like a babe. Just not for long enough!

#72338 - 05/22/04 04:03 AM
Rocketqueen

Reged: 05/10/04
Loc: Montréal

Hi, I have problems sleeping too AND I know that lack of sleep is one of my main trigger. The pain is always really intense when I can't sleep at least 5-6 hours.

My problem with sleep is that I can't sleep in the morning. (I have this problem since I was a kid). I usually get out of bed between 3h00 and 5h30am. I wake up by myself and I feel fine. I feel that I slept enough. I usually go to bed around 10-10h30. So in general, I sleep about 5-7h.

To deal with my IBS symptoms, I see a psychologist on a regular basis. She says that I can't sleep because I'm too hyperactive. I never stop.

This week, I triid to stay in bed until at least 5h00am. It was not always easy but I need to learn to sleep in the morning. What's funny about all that, is that I don't work in the morning.

Mu sleeping problem is difficult when I go to bed really late (ex: 3-4h00am) after a party because I continue to wake up early (6-7h00). So I only sleep 2-3hours. The pain is really bad when I sleep only 2-3hours!!! so, I don't go out late often...

Anyone having the same problem?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3884

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review