All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Water
      #71820 - 05/20/04 06:03 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Hey everyone, I have a quick question or more like a poll for you all. Do most of your drink tap water or bottled? I only ask because someone I work with brought an interesting idea to the table. He said there maybe bacteria in the pipes of my building causing some of my symptoms to be worse lately (and to think of it, my symptoms have worsened since I moved to my new apt in Nov. 2002). This would make sense as they have been doing a lot of construction lately. Just a thought.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Water new
      #71822 - 05/20/04 06:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I drink both and haven't noticed a difference. Nothing from building work should get into the water supply! Maybe the move and the noise from the construction is tressing you out more than you realise.

#71824 - 05/20/04 06:23 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Interesting idea your buddy has , Tommy! I live in one of those apartment complexes where it's not dirty, but you still don't want to trust anything. Even though I am apprehensive about it, I drink the water all of the time, with no problems. You may link your tummy problems with your move, but chances are it was just that time for you to get worse, my IBS took alot of time to get progressively worse. or the added stress to your life of moving could of made things worse for you. But, it can't hurt to drink "better" water... but think about investing in a filtered pitcher or faucet like I am going to, it'll be way more cost effective in the end!

--------------------
-Sheri

#71827 - 05/20/04 06:28 AM
TommyNY

I am going to change to the bottled water just for peace of mind. I didn't find the move all that stressful andits been a year and a half since I have moved in. I think most of my stress comes from working 4 blocks away from the WTC.

oh, just an FYI, when the city has been doing their construction they have been turining off the water. WHen I got home the water would be brown for about 10 minutes.

--------------------

#71828 - 05/20/04 06:29 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Philly water is kinda nasty, so I use a Brita filter and drink my water from that. Maybe you could try that.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#71838 - 05/20/04 07:00 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Tommy, I live in a rural area, we have our own well. The water is scrumptious!! I drink large glasses daily. When my h turns the well off for maintentance purposes, sometimes the fawcets spit and sputter, it will have a brown cast to it.

I have never given this a second thought, though I do let the water run until clear. With the city turning the water off and on, it is churning up things probably better left unseen that are swirling in your glass.

I would try the Brita. Good luck honey, hope it helps.

#71847 - 05/20/04 07:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The brown is probably from build up in the building pipes. I get that at our house after the water has been shut off as well! I use tap water to fill a britta pitcher so its at least been filtered a bit. If I use striaght tap water and let the glass sit for a couple hours, there will be a bunch of "sinkies" in the bottom of the glass but after its been run through the filter thingy in the pitcher, I don't get that!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#71886 - 05/20/04 08:43 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I always drink the filtered water that I can get from my refrigerator -it has one of those built in filters. Before I had the refrigerator I usually drank Brita water that I filtered through the pitcher.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but I know I've read several posts that recommend filtered water. Plus, I can't stand the chlorine taste in most city fawcetts.

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Re: Tap Water Sucks new
      #71906 - 05/20/04 09:24 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

..For some people anyway. I moved in the fall, immediately my IBS spun way out of control. When I went home at Xmas, I stayed at my mom's- she buys bottled water. I felt better within a couple of days. When I came back to my new place, IBS got worse. Did a few trial runs, trying bottled water for a few weeks and then switching back to Brita/tap water. There was a VERY noticeable difference for me, both with my allergies and IBS. I don't know whether it's the really old pipes in my neighborhood, the amount of chlorine or other additives, or what, but my body knows the difference! Anyway, I ended up buying a tap mounted reverse osmosis filter, which is a litttle inconvenient but, in the long run, cheaper than buying bottled water. Here's a link FYI:
http://www.purecanadianwater.com/Nimbus%20Water%20Systems%20-%20Countertops%20and%20Shower%20Systems.html

Hope that helps!

Laura

Water Filters Not Good! new
      #71938 - 05/20/04 10:40 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most filters like Brita use charcoal to filter the water which is not healthy.

Personally, I have been drinking bottled water for 25 years now. I switched to bottled water in 1979 because I was living in an Ottawa (Canada's capital city) apartment which had brown tap water.

My favourite bottled water is Evian. But usually it's too expensive so I settle for brand X at my local supermarket (usually President's Choice at Loblaws and Fortinos in the Toronto area).

I stay away from bottled water containing excess amounts of ozone because I get nauseated when I drink it.

Some studies have shown that bottled water can contain large amounts of bacteria. This could be true, but bottled water tastes so much better than tap water that I can't resist! I also figure since my IBS prevents me from having most other drinks -- regular tea, coffee, pop, fruit juice and alcohol -- the least I can do is treat myself to some good tasting bottled water!

Belinda

#71946 - 05/20/04 11:09 AM
quietwalker

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: West Texas

I drink bottle water ONLY! Anywhere I go or at home.Of course West Texas you don't drink water straight from the faucet!Everybody buys their water Filtered at the store in town here. But I don't even drink that. I found when I was drinking water, other than bottle water it really kicks in the Big D.When I was first diagnois W/IBS they tested me for
Parsities Etc. As some City's water are not safe to drink they just don't tell you that! We recieved a letter telling people if you have young children,elderly or have illness not to drink the water! So go figurer! I drink DASANI only.But that just my like. Good Luck.

Brown water - YUK new
      #71954 - 05/20/04 11:53 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I definately wouldn't drink anything that comes out of those pipes. Bottled water is the safe way to go. Also, never use faucet hot water for anything to drink. Tons of bacteria coming out of water heaters.

#71970 - 05/20/04 12:43 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I hear ya, Tommy. NYC water used to be the best in the world. But we switched to bottled water when they put a new water tank on our roof and the water started tasting like a cedar closet!! And totally relate to the brown water thing too!

PS. Working 4 blocks from the WTC is definitely stressful, my sympathies. I saw the towers burning from my office window. It was awful.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#71971 - 05/20/04 12:45 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

God, I remember well water! So cold, so I don't know, good. Scrumptious is right! Thanks for the memory, Gayla.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#71981 - 05/20/04 01:28 PM
TommyNY

Who would have thought water would conjure up such conversation. Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it. Bottled water it is.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1953 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review