All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Equalatin
      #71818 - 05/20/04 05:57 AM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

Does Equalatin work better for D because I am C and have not had any good results with it and know everyone else seems to really like this product. I've had IBS for 25 years. I've been on the diet for about 2 months. I feel some better but still have severe constipation and a nagging pain on my right side. I never have a bm unless I take a lax or emema and yes I have tried everything. Tons of water, exercise, fiber, etc. I don't seem to have any paristalis action. I am up to 3tbsp. of acacia a day, drinking 64 oz of water, following the diet. I am going to the doctor next week and have my list made out of different meds you have all talked about. Most of them have some bad side effects but will run it by him anyway. Miralax, Levsin, Bentyl, Librax. Their seems to be some good drugs in Canada (Dicetel, Modulon) but I guess
there is no way we can get these?? I'm also going to schedule a colonoscopy and get check for parasites. Don't know what else to do. Any good comments on success with the above meds would be appreciated...thank you all so much for your help and to Heather for a wonderful website.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Equalatin new
      #71916 - 05/20/04 09:34 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

sorry, i'm a D and i love my Equalactin. however, i have had some luck with it and some medication-created constipation, but that's different from IBS constipation!Equalactin is simply soluble fiber, so maybe taking some could help, but if the acacia isn't helping much then i can see where the Equalactin wouldn't be your miracle cure. though, it's not going to hurt, either. it's probably a really good idea for all of us to carry it and take some periodically, especially when we haven't eaten for a few hours, the theory being that our colons are happiest when gently filled with soluble fiber.

i just want to say, i never had the C much before this meds thing. i had it, but not like this, i should clarify! i really admire you Cers. i think, unfortunately, the C isn't as easy to resolve, either, from what i've been reading. i still think my D is horrible, but C is probably equally torturous.

now, i just 'fessed up to not having much experience with C, but i have read tons of posts. it seems those of you with C are often better when factoring in more insoluble fiber than us Ders. have you tried an experiment with slowly but surely adding some more insoluble fiber to your diet? adding some greens and fruits and other stuff that would send us Ders running scared?

those are my only thoughts. sorry i can't be of more help...

--------------------

#71959 - 05/20/04 12:25 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Jen is totally right when she says that insolubles are the key for us C-types. I tend to be guilty of one of Heather's sneaky sins: getting lots of soluble and ignoring the insoluble. You have to be careful with the insolubles and make sure you're having soluble fiber with them (and water), but you need 'em!

I am now less C than I've ever been now that I'm taking a SFS *and* being sure that I get fruits and veggies in every meal. If I don't (since bread is more tasty and portable than chopped fruit or minestrone), I pay for it...

--AC

#71969 - 05/20/04 12:40 PM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

What is SFS?

SFS = soluble fiber supplement, i'd wager! -nt- new
      #72045 - 05/20/04 08:06 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4754 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 807

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review