All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint - makes you go?
      #71571 - 05/19/04 07:29 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am IBS-C, but I have noticed that if I take 100mg of peppermint oil after a meal and then drink some peppermint tea at bedtime, I almost swing back to D! Is that normal? I thought it was supposed to help with pain, bloating ect... but for me it is causing some urgent trips to the bathroom. Is this normal? Or am I taking to much peppermint?

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint - makes you go? new
      #72013 - 05/20/04 04:21 PM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

I take the peppermint caps but haven't noticed any emergency bathroom visits. I'm IBS-C too, and would really love to flush my system right now. I think the corn on the cob I treated myself to on Sunday did me in this week. Maybe be sure to have a full stomach when you have the tea.

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

#72023 - 05/20/04 06:22 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'm IBS-D I had extreme attacks the two times I tried enteric peppermint caps. The menthol in the mint (i guess) actually made my gut feel uncomfortably cold inside! I stick with ginger and warming herbs from my acupuncturist. I've never heard anyone else report this, but I do know there are others on these boards who avoid peppermint.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#72024 - 05/20/04 06:26 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I posted earlier that the last business trip I took, I made sure to drink plenty of peppermint tea. This was my first trip where I didn't end up with a major case of C. It makes sense to me that the peppermint tea was a huge help.

#72081 - 05/21/04 05:38 AM
bamagirl

Thanks for the response. I've been watching this kind of closely all week, and now I'm not so sure it is the peppermint. My tummy is just having a rebelious week I think! The peppermint tea after supper and before bedtime is a great help, so I'm going to stick with that and the between meal caps. I think my stress level this week has been a bit "up" and boy has it triggered my IBS! Thanks again for all the comments!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#72084 - 05/21/04 05:57 AM
JosephC

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: Kansas City

Boy do I know how you feel! All week Ive just been feeling off and had a moderate attack last night with a few runs to the bathroom for D. And Ive been eating safe food all week, so I can pretty much rule that out(if it was anything, Im not gonna know because its never bothered me before. Just have to watch for next time). But I totally believe I've just been stressed moreso this week (I could feel it) even though Ive been trying not to be and it finally just caught up to me. It happens. I just got my meds all setup and took those and I'll hopefully be mostly stable (except for a little "uncomfort") for the rest of the day.

Do you do Yoga? or the IBS CDs? I havent done my CDs yet (bad me!) but the Yoga relaxes pretty well when I do it. Maybe look at more relaxing methods to help you.

I alternate, and the peppermint tea and caps have been lifesavers for me. I have heard of some GERD and indigestion, though.

But I sure hope you feel better soon!

#72095 - 05/21/04 06:21 AM
bamagirl

Thanks for the encouragement. I do think the peppermint is helping instead of hurting. For us IBSer's we just have to exercise extremem stress management. Right now I'm at a bumpy place in the road of life, and will just have to eat a little better, and relax a little better. Hope you are feeling better too!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#72276 - 05/21/04 02:18 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You've got some great advice here - and as you said, it's good to keep it up especially if your diet is in question. If you like, post what you're eating and maybe we can find a culprit. Most people do really well on peppermint. Other alternatives to try are fennel (great for gas and bloating), chamomile, and ginger (great for nausea). Try one of those and see if you notice a difference.
Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 774

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review