All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HFCS effects and other concern
      #71244 - 05/17/04 07:12 PM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

I've just been trying to eat for my IBS for a few months, as I was simply taking Zelnorm and Protonax before that. I finally found this site and learned how to control my IBS. I know so much more but I'm not doing well enough.

However, I have a terribly busy schedule and trying to maintain portion size has been my biggest problem. Any tricks or advice for how and when to eat throughout the day? I'm never really hungry so I eat when I think I should be eating and I think I overeat. I'm not happy with my bloating, constipation!! and how I feel. I'm really frustrated with myself because I fell like such a loser. I know that I need to eat small protions, but I don't stick to it.

Should I stop eating a certain amount of hours before going to bed, or between mini meals?

I'm also reading all labels and trying to stay away from HFCSs. But, how will I know if they affect me or not? And, how much wheat is usually ok to eat for IBS-C people?

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HFCS effects and other concern new
      #71346 - 05/18/04 07:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I tend to overeat as well, it can be a hard problem to overcome. I am also IBS C. I can handle some wheat and a lot more insoluble fiber than most people. In fact, if I don't get enough insoluble fiber my C and Bloating are worse!! If you are having C problems, try adding some veggies in with your dinner. Smoothies with blended fruit are also good. Have you tried taking digestive enzymes with your meals?? You can get them at most health food or vitamin stores. Bloating can be difficult to deal with, I still struggle with it sometimes. Exercise helps. I just discovered onions and garlic cause major bloating for me!

Hang in there, it will get better! How much fiber supplement are you taking??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#71381 - 05/18/04 09:34 AM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

Thanks for your input. I take 1 tbsp of accacia 4 times a day and the pills if I go too long without eating. I eat oatmeal and a banana or english muffin for breakfast, munch on pretzels and honey nut cheerios for snacks and do ok for lunch and dinner. I've been staying away from veggies and fruits, but sis have a couple of apricots the other day and I had corn two days ago. GRRRR

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

#71485 - 05/18/04 05:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Two of my biggest triggers are HFCS and Sorbitol. I do think smaller meals are better because I always feel bad after I stuff myself.. Sometimes it is just trial and error as to what foods are triggers for you. We all have different ones.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#72884 - 05/24/04 09:47 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I was just reading in another post about doses of acacia and if you'r taking 4 TBSP a day, you may be taking too much. I understand that 1 TBSP = 5 grams of fiber which means you're getting 20 tbsp per day. The recommended dosage is only 12-15. Maybe that's the cause of your bloating??
Check out the recent post from Bevrs called "Too much SFS! Yowza!" on 5/23- it may shed some light on this.
Good luck,
KAL

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 943

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review