All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Did you know...
      #71102 - 05/17/04 10:03 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

that Gas-X contains sorbitol. Yesterday, I was in a "triple check the ingredients on everything mood" after some sloppy detective work I had done earlier, and the first time I was going to buy gasX I read the inactive ingredients and it said sorbitol. Why would they put that in something for people having gas?! So I got Phazyme instead, which has the same active ingredient and the inactive ingredients are just like edible white dye and some other color or something like that..but no sorbitol. Just thought I'd let you guys know. And it was the regular capsule gasx..not even the chewable kind..why do they need sweetner in a pill? I mean..i can understand if it's a chewable..but why not just sugar? Oh well. Hope this helps!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh No....SORBITOL!!!! new
      #71174 - 05/17/04 02:29 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Tara,

Good detective work. I take phazyme & it works pretty good for me. Don't know why they have to put evil sorbitol in so many things.....guess they want to keep us on our toes!
It's even in toothpaste & lotions....now why does it have to be in there?????

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Oh No....SORBITOL!!!! new
      #71236 - 05/17/04 06:44 PM
jamaxx

Reged: 02/29/04
Loc: Albany, NY

I was so excited to find Altoids Peppermint GUM! Then I saw it was sugar free and yup... there it was... SORBITOL!!!

sorbitol and hydronated oils everywhere new
      #71255 - 05/17/04 08:05 PM
heather robin

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Reading labels gives me a headache! Sorbitol, carageen, guar gums everywhere! Read your cosmetic's label sometime. There are items that cross over from foods to cosmetics. You might be interested in this book "A consumer's dictionary of food additives "/ Ruth Winter. I picked up generic immodium pills from Rite Aid and they had hydronated oil! What did they use to glue pills together before that? I would much rather take a powder than to have all those additives and extras in them. I wonder if a pharmacy that compounds their own drugs is the way to go?

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Oh No....SORBITOL!!!! new
      #71288 - 05/18/04 03:56 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

I was so excited to find Altoids Peppermint GUM! Then I saw it was sugar free and yup... there it was... SORBITOL!!!

Gum itself can cause problems anyway, because while chewing you swallow more air which doesn't help bloating & gas.

Sorbitol is evil new
      #71314 - 05/18/04 06:33 AM
barbie

Loc: Texas

Hi,
I agree with you, it is a big headache but necessary if you don't want to get sick.
I am a big time label reader and sorbitol/mannitol is in lotions, toothpaste, vitamins, sugar-free gums & mints and lots of stuff. I may be crazy but I am sure I got "D" one time from absorbing sorbitol from lotion through the skin????

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Did you know... new
      #71447 - 05/18/04 02:00 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

I am chucking my gas X when I get home!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5575 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review